2000Km-1243 mile club

January 2013 (Read 220 times)

HappyFeat

PerfesserR, it sounds like you've got a handle on what's happening for you now. Sounds like a very special run today. Yay for the start of a comeback! Tomorrow looks to be a fun day as well. No doubt, ultrarunning is a learning experience and requires a long view. The body and mind give us clues to what we need to do. I'm trying to be more tuned in to them myself.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Beautiful sky this morning, but I'm off to the gym -10*C and icy streets. Slowly building time on the TM, up to 4 miles this week and 5 next week. Work deadline is kinda over - I'm looking forward to a regular schedule later this week and the symphony -  Mendelssohn and Schubert.

I had impromptu speed work this week ! I forgot my house key and decided to "book it" the last mile and a half home (out of 7) to catch my hubby before he left for work. Probably faster than my 5k pace, which I cannot reveal as it is so slow... luckily he found me (walking and panting) 3 blocks from the house. I have some planned speed work in my half plan which starts at the end of the month.

have a great time volunteering today, Perfesser.

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

12 miles on the trails today with friend and 2 doggies, 35F, overcast with some clearing allowing for some nice expansive views. It was relaxing and vigorous exercise at the same time  I wasn't sure what I was up for with my current back issues, but it went fine. Fresh air and a good friend are the best medicine.

Dutchie42

Did a nice w/o on the Treadmill, after a 30 min boxing w/o

400meter R / 30 sec W

800meter R / 45 sec W

1.2K R / 60 sec W

800meter R / 45 sec W

400meter R / 30 sec W

About 15 minutes later I unfortunately had an arithmia that needed medicine to get back under control. I usually have a little "trick" that works like a charm to get my insane HR back under control, but every couple of years it doesn't work and I need a little chemical help. Nothing dangerous, nothing that will kill me, but it completely messed up my day.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Just under 12 today on a nice flat bikepath, 8 of them tempo miles at a 7:40 clip. I felt pretty good but was wiped after. Anyway I felt pretty good during the run and seem to be getting my mojo back.

I had fun volunteering at the 24-hour race Saturday and had a great time working the aid station. I was the only one there most of the time and found out it's really hard work, it was nonstop, filling cups, making soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, PB&J's, burritos, filling cups and bowls with various goodies. This race has a really big variety of goodies and that's great for runners but makes the volunteers work!

If you've never volunteered at a race, then do it! It was great.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Being a race volunteer sounds like a very worthwhile experience, PerfesserR! Plus giving you a close-up view of what the runners go through.  Glad you had a satisfying tempo run and are feeling good about running again.

I postponed my tempo 8-miler to tomorrow since I'm taking a vacation day then. Today I was simply too tired, mainly because I didn't sleep well last night. So I just did an easy 6. I was also kinda waiting to do any more speedwork until my back and legs felt better.  My TM motor is back from repair and running more quietly than when it was new!

Sorry to hear about the arrhythmia issue, Dutchie - that's very unsettling. Glad you know what to do about it.  A boxing workout sounds like it could be fun, but I'd probably hurt myself doing it.Roll eyes

MTA: Thursday update: no tempo today. Ran 8 slow miles feeling quite fatigued. My weight is down a couple lbs; so I think I might be a little dehydrated which would account for the fatigue.  My back is still tweaked, but doesn't hurt when I run. Tomorrow's a scheduled Rest Day and that seems like a Good Thing.Joking

Dutchie42

Perfesser: grilled cheese sandwhiches?! People can run on grilled cheese???? My stomach would be so upset if I did that.

Happy: boxing is a lot of fun. I do either shadow boxing (hitting air) or shorter workouts on the heavy bag, kind of tabata style. They work your core and lats really well.

I had planned not to run all week after Monday's mishap, but I was soooo ready for a run. This is good, right? Prepped my Polar alarm to beep at 150bpm, and just did a run walk. I didn't stop immediately when the Polar beeped, so my HR could be 153 or so before I took a recovery walk. My HR had to be below 140 before I could run again.

I originally started out to run for 10 min as a warm up for my XT HiiT w/o. But I was really enjoying myself, so I thought I would do 20 min. I was doing really well and feeling well, so why not 30 minutes? By then I decided to aim for 35 min. By then I was so close to 5K I just couldn't stop Wink From the 30:30min mark onwards I was running like a machine and skipped the recovery breaks. Felt really good!

Dutchie

I originally started out to run for 10 min as a warm up for my XT HiiT w/o. But I was really enjoying myself, so I thought I would do 20 min. I was doing really well and feeling well, so why not 30 minutes? By then I decided to aim for 35 min. By then I was so close to 5K I just couldn't stop Wink From the 30:30min mark onwards I was running like a machine and skipped the recovery breaks. Felt really good!

I wish RunningAhead had a like button. I'm happy for you, Dutchie.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Glad you had such a fun run, Dutchie!

I ran 12 miles on the trail yesterday with my friend and her 2 doggies. It was overcast and about 38F. No vista views due to low fog - really low in some places and even the trees were somewhat obscured.

We are planning to run a 25K trail race in two weeks - not as a race, just in place of our weekend trail run. Hope the weather cooperates for that one. I also hope my legs are up to it. Yesterday's run felt plenty long enough; I couldn't have run another step.

Imminent Catastrophe

Glad you had a good run Dutchie!

Nice run in frigid Boston today, beautiful, clear but COLD. The wind chill was single digits so running into the wind along the Charles was bracing. Lots of runners out there though, and a lot of Boston Marathon jackets visible, which psyched me up. 7-ish miles felt pretty good.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Glad you had a good run in Boston, PerfesserR.  Brrr..."bracing" is putting it mildly, no doubt!

I just went for a 3-mile walk with DH. My legs feel fine after yesterday's LR.  He actually ran 3 miles yesterday pain-free, which is a milestone of sorts. He started walk-running a while back, but pulled a hamstring and has been slowly coming along.

HappyFeat

Happy - Yoga is supposed to make you feel better.  I think you might have been doing it wrong Smile

I just wanted to back up here and acknowledge how right you are.  I injured myself by overdoing a pose.

I've been exploring the YogaJournal.com website and am learning how much I don't know about doing yoga. I signed up for the Beginners 21-day program which has different workout for every day, some as short as 10 minutes and some as long as a half hour. I'm enjoying it and am learning some of the basics I never knew. I always enjoyed it, but was sporadic. Now I want to do it every day - just like I feel about running.

Nothing too exciting here - getting used to the treadmill at the gym. I'm becoming one of the cold weather TM long runners - we are only allowed an hour as it gets busy so I'm biking and elliptical-ing as well. Started my once a week weight training class on wednesdays too. looks like the weather is going to unbreak by tomorrow, I'm hoping for an outside 10k

happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

I've been exploring the YogaJournal.com website and am learning how much I don't know about doing yoga.

Interesting point.   I recently was researching some new yoga DVD's and made the realization that I don't know the basics of yoga.  Many of the yoga DVD's just skip the basics and give you a decent routine and if you don't take the time to learn the basics you probably end up doing a lot of things wrong.

dutchie - Good to hear things are getting back on track.

a - I have gone the opposite.  I have abandoned the annoying features of the gym (time limits, rude people) and I'm doing all of my runs outside.  Snow, rain, darkness.....it's all better than the treadmill with rude people.

russ - I am getting so excited for Boston.  My training is going well and if I were to see a Boston jacket on a run I would probably lose my mind.

I finally dropped my experimental marathon training plan.  It just wasn't a good fit for me.  I've switched to the Hal Higdon Boston plan.  The extremely difficult long runs were just wearing me out.  Now I'm back to the more traditional easy long runs with speed work seperate.

Dutchie42

Breaking news:

after 3 queens, the Dutch will have a KING Clown

PARTY time

Dutchie