2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 19-25 July (Read 468 times)

HappyFeat

No running for me today - butt-bones still hurt - no running til they stop hurting. Hope it's less than the week it took last time, but it is what it is. Did my yoga/pilates workout last night and will do it tonight as well. I'm kinda surprised at how much I enjoy it-hopefully the feeling will translate into doing it more routinely.

Planning a 12-mile hike for tomorrow to yet another gorgeous alpine lake. Everywhere here is an upward hike to get to your destination and downward to return; not too much level hiking; so it's always a good workout. Hoping to get out the door early and have time to relax at the lake for a few hours. Weather should be perfect.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Just a dude.

Looks like I will end up with just over 60 miles this week...

My body seems to be doing well... no big issues last few days... 

Looking at building base for the next few months... creeping up the distance, and hoping the pace comes down some... McMillian says all my training paces should be at least a minute per mile faster based on my mile times... I'm not saying he is the absolute authority, but he helps confirm my suspicions that I am running too easy some times...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Imminent Catastrophe

What a long, strange run it's been!

16 miles in San Francisco. I battled a strong headwind for a few miles, then up over the Golden Gate Bridge planning to run trails in the Headlands but...

as I got halfway across the dodge-the-tourist obstacle course, the sidewalk was blocked by police because there was a jumper on the railing, they were trying to talk him down. There were rescue boats below and a lot of people watching. I didn't want to witness the worst-case scenario and knew the sidewalk wouldn't be open for awhile, so headed south along the coastal trail, through some deep sand which got into my shoes, then back. It turned out to be a hard run with winds, deep sand, lots of hills. If I get in one more nice 1-miler I'll feel like I can get through Humpy's Marathon in Anchorage next month and redeem myself with an Alaska race. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Anyone heard from Trey? He hasn't logged any miles for 6 weeks now.

Perfesser: sounds like a really interesting run. What happened to the wannabe jumper, do you know? Did they talk him off the bridge?

Kelly: I wouldn't say "just" 60 miles. That is a lot of running!

HappyFeat: sorry you are experiencing a set back. Wish I could come along on your hike. sounds absolutely wonderful.

I swear I was sleepy and my legs felt really tired this morning. I decided to listen to my body and shorten my long run and go for a really slow and easy pace. I choose a 5K out and back route.  As I started running, my legs felt better than I expected, so within the first 60 meters I already changed my mind and added 700 meters to the start of my run. As I was putting in the first 2 kilometers I realised my legs were not feeling as bad as I thought and I could lengthen my run. Maybe do 10 kilometers? So I changed my route again. And again. And again. And some more. In the end I did run the scheduled 2h30. Sadly, the extra 10 minutes I ran compared to last week, only converted to a 1.2 kilometer increase in distance. On the upside, I felt great, my legs felt great and I even increased my speed in the tree tunnel, up to 6:50 min (18th kilometer) and 6:34 (19th kilometer). Not too shabby for a sleepy and tired me.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Thanks, Dutchie; I really think my relapse is only temporary. I didn't have any pain with today's hike. Still I think I will stick with running only every other day for the next couple weeks - and keep it really slow. I suspect I did the wrong thing by running several days in a row and increasing my pace. Here's a photo of my lunch spot today. It was a very beautiful location and a lovely hike.

P.S. I ran into a guy on the trail and got to talking about running since he says he's a runner. Then he tells me that "people should only run every other day" and "running every day is extremist!" END of conversation! Turns out he's a massage therapist who works with a physical therapist I know who thinks I'm "an adrenalin junkie" because I like to run every day! I don't think she realizes how slow I am. But STILL, people like that make me crazy.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dog-Love

What a long, strange run it's been!

16 miles in San Francisco. I battled a strong headwind for a few miles, then up over the Golden Gate Bridge planning to run trails in the Headlands but...

as I got halfway across the dodge-the-tourist obstacle course, the sidewalk was blocked by police because there was a jumper on the railing, they were trying to talk him down. There were rescue boats below and a lot of people watching. I didn't want to witness the worst-case scenario and knew the sidewalk wouldn't be open for awhile, so headed south along the coastal trail, through some deep sand which got into my shoes, then back. It turned out to be a hard run with winds, deep sand, lots of hills. If I get in one more nice 1-miler I'll feel like I can get through Humpy's Marathon in Anchorage next month and redeem myself with an Alaska race. 

Hey Perfessor...I was running in SF as well.  Ran my favorite fire trail route in Berkeley and yesterday completed the SF Half marathon.  No great time but what a great place to run (it is my hometown so it was like a run down memory lane).  Anyway will not write a RR becasue I was super slow and even when I was 200yds from the HM finish I was still thinking of running the full. Very glad I didn't this morning.  My daughter finished in 1:56 and I finished in 2:22.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey Perfessor...I was running in SF as well.  Ran my favorite fire trail route in Berkeley and yesterday completed the SF Half marathon.  No great time but what a great place to run (it is my hometown so it was like a run down memory lane). 

Funny, even though SFM was my first marathon and still a favorite, I forgot that the race was Sunday until I saw the road closure signs and portajohns along the route. Then I was up really early for work and there were some runners in the hotel lobby leaving for the race, I was jealous, I really want to run San Francisco again. BTW I'm feeling good about Humpy's next month (now called Great Wildlife Runs).

Dutchie, I tried to find out what became of the guy, but couldn't, which leads me to believe that he didn't jump. That's such a strange place, on the GG Bridge there are signs saying, basically, "Don't jump off the bridge, it's OK, call this number for help". I guess they have a couple dozen suicides every year, and a lot more that change their minds. 

Anyway, I'm doing long runs but taking plenty of recovery days too, we'll see how that works out. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016