2000Km-1243 mile club

July - summer heat (Read 402 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Perfesser: my 2.61 miles on the TM today trumps your 2 miles Joking

Oh yeah? Well I did THREE WHOLE MILES TODAY! SO THERE! I was supposed to be in Tahoe today for tomorrow's 50 miler, I'm a long way from there. D'oh. Anyway the ankle seemed to hold up OK but I have a big bruise and sore spot from where Taz stepped on it. Still, 3 miles is progress, anyway. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Oh yeah? Well I did THREE WHOLE MILES TODAY! SO THERE! I was supposed to be in Tahoe today for tomorrow's 50 miler, I'm a long way from there. D'oh. Anyway the ankle seemed to hold up OK but I have a big bruise and sore spot from where Taz stepped on it. Still, 3 miles is progress, anyway. 

Oh really! Well I'll catch up with you again... Did 3.9 kilometers today Wink And I did UB strenght training + abs yesterday. I bet you didn't Evil

And 3 miles is progress, I'm not there yet. Legs wanted to go fast today, but my CVS couldn't keep up.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

All of those 3 milers add up!

Confession - I haven't run since Monday. Long work hours and the Halifax jazz festival this week, so I prioritized getting in 6-7 hours of sleep a night which didn't include exercise. I did log 17+ hours of great music. Its funny I'm not a great sleeper but after a good concert/ show I sleep SO soundly. I feel pretty well rested despite the crazy week.

Off to run the Saturday 8 miler after tea. Its still cool despite being so late, perfect for a run to the Marina.

Happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

Same Ayola....hadn't run since Sunday.....so went out and did 21km on Saturday.

And DW is now off on a shopping trip with her girlfriends, so I'm corrupting / babysitting the kids all day Sunday.

Just trying to build up some credit with the wife so when it comes time for the 6-7 hour long runs I won't feel guilty.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Ran my planned 14M. Started out the first 4 with Kristin who sneaks us up to 10:20 pace when I want to stick around 11. I think that affected the rest of my run. The last third was tough, requiring some effort to keep my mind in the game. I even had some "why am I doing this?" thoughts which I don't ever recall having before.  Perhaps my legs are feeling the increased miles. I'll cut back a bit this coming week, I think.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Good run happy.

I just did 3km today, but it was special as I took my 7yo for his first trail run....and he loved it. Little bugger kept on leaving me behind on the uphills

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Good run happy.

I just did 3km today, but it was special as I took my 7yo for his first trail run....and he loved it. Little bugger kept on leaving me behind on the uphills

Awesome!  That lower center of gravity really helps, I guess.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Another 3 on the TM today, on a hill program. So far, so good. 

I had a physical exam a couple of weeks ago and I'm up 10 lbs, the most I've ever weighed. I guess if you go from 40 miles/week to zero and keep eating the same it has to go somewhere! Someone keeps taking in the waistline of my pants too.

MTA:

pukekura, good work getting another generation into trailrunning!

Happy, nice consistent running! 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Love the photo, puke!  ditto what PerfesserR said: "good work getting another generation into trailrunning!"

Good job on your weekend LR, ayola. I bet the jazz festival was a lot of fun. Years ago, I used to volunteer at the Dixieland Jazz Festival in Sacramento - did that for about 5 years I think - it was a total blast!

How's the calf, drphibes?

Ran an 8-mile "tempo run" tonight with 4 miles at race pace (10 mpm) sandwiched by a couple slow miles of warm-up and cool-down. I felt it after the 4th mile with various twinges; but I could make pretty much every one go away with a shift of stride or posture. Still a challenge though.  Not running tomorrow night due to another commitment, but I think a Rest Day is a good idea anyway.

I feel your frustration PerfesserR. Imagine mine - all this running and I'm not losing any weight - in fact, my thighs are getting fatter! it can't be muscle because there's no definition. Sheesh! Along with my training plan, I think I'll have to start dieting! I'm just so not into that.

That trail is gorgeous - looks so lush!

Now that vacations, summer colds and festivals are over I'm Back to a regular routine, including tracking (not dieting) what I eat. Ran an easy 6 this morning. I could feel my hamstrings as I have reinstated spin class on Mondays. Wow. I wanted to try out the training plan feature here, so I've planned out the next 12 weeks to my HM - I modified a Brad Hudson plan to include one 10K and my weekly spin class, soon I'll start bumping up that weekend long run - starts Monday!

Recalculating...

Still focusing on yoga and biking right now with limited runs getting worked back in.  Yesterdays 3 miler was difficult.  I had to really focus on form and patience to keep the knee from complaining.  Tonights workout will be another yoga session followed by a couple of miles.

Happy - Great work recently.  Enjoy that day off.

Taking advantage of my unplanned rest period to catch up on my volunteering.  Set up a water station for my Wednesday night group run.  While they were slogging away 4 miles in 105 heat index, I was in shorts and flip flops handing out cups.  May sound easy, but we're talking about a group of over 100 (normally around 200 when the weather is better).

Today was course setup and tear down for a 5K that marks the end of the year/start of the new one for our local running club.  I was also course monitor directing runners at an intersection on the course.  Had a moral crisis when a walker (not competing in the race) came by to tell me that a runner had stopped with a twisted ankle.  Couldn't decide whether I should go back to check on her or stay at my post and make sure the others didn't get lost.  Since it didn't sound serious I decided to stay put and had one of the runners carry word back to the finish.  The cyclist who led out the race was dispatched and then he went to get the ambulance on duty.  The woman with the ankle was fine and I think the cyclist and ambulance were excited to have something to do.

I did "run" a little today, in cycles of 50 steps jogging followed by walking.  I would only run on flat or mild downhill.  No problems, but I can tell I'm not 100%.  I'll just keep doing what I can.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

I feel a bit guilty enjoying a gorgeous cool summer run when over half the country is having a record heat wave.

As my penance, I added two miles to my LR today. I'm impatient to get to 16, so I decided to just do it. Figured if I went slow enough, it was doable. Started with 5 flat (the scenic neighborhood route) followed by the 10M rolling hills route and tacked on an extra mile at the end. It went OK - had some sporadic muscle cramps, and my knees didn't appreciate downhills twice in one week  - but I kept to my pace range of 11 to 11:30 and didn't fall apart at the end.

There is a stables next door to me on a beautiful piece of property, with a couple dozen of horses  in open pens and people doing fun things with their own horses.  So I wandered over there after my run, got in a good stretching session, threw a ball  (many times) for a couple of cute high energy dogs, and visited some horses. It was a nice change of scene from stretching in my own living room, I'll say!

Imminent Catastrophe

Sounds like a nice run, Happy. I got in a couple of runs in nice, cool Portland. It was a welcome change. Finally, I'm actually running outside and going somewhere, not just a hamster on a wheel!

Happy: Great work on 16 miles!

I'm also feeling a little guilty about avoiding the heat wave - my early morning runs are still below 70*F. Saturday's 8 miler was hovering around 75*F (with 100% humidity) I was 10 minutes slower than last week, mainly due to really tight hamstrings from Friday's weight training workout - too many squats and lunges.I found the rails to trails path that my office manager recommended -its shaded and flat - although I was hoping more for a pine needle slightly rugged trail. Anyways, it will be perfect for long runs.

Today I struggled through 3 miles as the hammys tightened up even further. Tomorrow I'll skip the spin class and do a light stationary bike ride and stretch.

A

Recalculating...