2000Km-1243 mile club

Hello April (Read 526 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I had a nice 16-mile trail run today, it was a tough one, on forest roads and hiking trails. I finally reached Fowler Mountain, which I've wanted to do for years. Last time I tried I almost stepped on a rattlesnake and turned back, then got rear-ended and totaled my car on the way home. Today was better. Anyway, today I made it and felt good but very tired and my legs are really feeling it.

That's the problem, I should feel good about today, but if I'm that tired and my legs are worn out after 16, how am I supposed to run 4 times that far just a month from now? I got the pre-race email describing the new route. It's changed, and they've added a couple of nasty climbs, so now I'm really nervous. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Just in from an exhilarating run outside. After a cold day of intermittent dark clouds and rain, including a near-flurry at lunchtime, the clouds moved south to snuggle up to the Olympics along with the snow that fell there last night.  I had sunshine in my face and baby calves kicking up their heels in the pastures adjacent to the bike trail – the wet grass so green it was like Technicolor!

With my brain pre-programmed for a speed workout, my afternoon tiredness evaporated once I got outside. I’m making progress toward my 10 mpm pace. My 8-miler went like this: 11:15, 10:24, 10:06, 10:21, 10:09, 10:16, 10:21, and the final mile at 9:50! 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Brian - Good luck this weekend.  Just have fun with it and I'll think you will do better than you expect.

Happy - Nice 8 miler.  You are making great progress.  Still using your glutes?

We had perfect weather here today.  68F, sunny and dry.  Went out for an easy 6 in my new Inov-8's and they felt so fast I decided to do a timed mile in the middle of the run.  5:38!  That's the fastest I've run a mile in 20 years.

Dutchie42

Perfesser: you'll do fine. Not every run feels as good as we'd like it to be.

Happy: nice pace!

Heffa: congrats on the fast mile Smile

Nice sunny morning here. Dogs are still poorly. Spooky threw up again overnight. So I left her at home for my easy run this morning. First time running without her in 5 years (not counting races or the TM). Felt kinda funny.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Wednesday morning the forecast for Saturday had gone from "82, periods of sun" to "84, sunny and breezy". Wednesday night the forecast was "84, sunny, breezy and humid". If you're wondering "breezy" is forecasted 17 MPH winds.  Thursday morning the forecast was "86, unseasonably warm".  So, I decided to pass on this one.  

Checked marathon guide and there's a race in Ohio on 4/17.  It's a 7+ hour drive, but if I can work out the logistics I'm going to run that one. Current forecast for race day: high 51, low 34.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

Had to run a fast 3.2 kilometers cause I was very late, so despite the nice weather, I hopped on the TM.

1 min @ 9.0K to warm up
              then @ 9.5K till I ran a full kilometer
              1.5 kilometers @ 10K
              250 meters @ 10.5K
              150 meters @ 11K
              50 meters @ 11.5K

finished with a 200 meter cool down @ 9K

Nice, fun and fast!

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Jeff has the Magic Shoes now - a 5:38 mile! It's true after all - we're NOT getting older, we're getting BETTER!Big grin

Yes - still using my glutes...(are you teasing me?) Anyway, this seems to be the key to not overworking my hams. In the last couple weeks though, on my left side though one of the ligaments that is not the pyriformis, but one of the others is verrrrrry unhappy. I'm using ice packs, heating pad, and Voltaren gel to get it calmed down. Fingers crossed it won't be a problem for tomorrow's planned 12-miler.

I'm with Dutchie on this PerfesserR - you'll have better runs before your 50K. You can do this. We have enough confidence in you to balance out your nervousness.  Follow your training plan, do all your prep work, and show up - you'll surprise yourself.

Brian that's a shame the weather forecast isn't in your favor this this weekend's race. The Ohio temps sound Perfect!

Yes - still using my glutes...(are you teasing me?)

Nope, not teasing you.  I'm still trying to perfect my stride that activates my glutes.  It's not an easy thing to do.  I'm pretty happy with my form right now.  It's starting to feel more natural.  My calves are still pretty sore on a regular basis but it's even between my legs and I don't have anything that I would even consider a precursor to an injury (knocking wood).

Nice, easy pace on a 13 miler today.  I used my older cushioned shoes to try and rest up my calves a little.  They are still complaining from the bike work I've been putting in.

Dutchie42

Out for an other dog-less run again. Surprised myself by unintentionally doing a 7.19 kilometer tempo run. First 2 kilometers were rather slow, but then I upped the pace for the next 4.3 kilometers and slowed down a little for the last 850 meters, which did include a bridge.Felt really good!

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Dutchie, are the pups not feeling better yet? I'm starting to worry about them.

Jeff, have you already tried stretching your calves several times a day, and especially before and after exercising? Massage? Ice packs a couple times a day?

Had overcast skies and a chilly breeze for my 12-miler until the sun came out in the last mile...suddenly I thought I'd die of overheating all in the last 5 minutes! It was crazy....so not used to running on a sunny day yet.

I meant to keep my pace "easy" around 11 mpm. It's hard to keep it even, especially with a hilly route. Most were between 10:50 and 11,  one was 10:30, and three were between 11:10 and 11:20. I did not feel mentally ready for the run, but it went fine. The scenery as always was lovely to look at and I had no real problems other than being tired.

Imminent Catastrophe

15 easy on a very flat course. The goal was to keep it very easy and aerobic and I think I did that, keeping my HR nice and low. I think that will really pay off in the late miles of a long race. It was nice and cool which helped a lot.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to run to Neptune. Or at least Uranus. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Hey Perfessor...you are kind of in my backyard.  When I go to Anchorage I run that route.  Its pretty nice although not as beautiful as the trails of Juneau.  If you are ever here...you should let me know and I will show you some of my favorite trails.  Cannot run 15 at this poiint

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                          Dutchie42

Hey Crabby: how is your running going?

Gorgeous Spring morning. Perfect weather for running: sunny, breezy, crispy. Last dog-less run. Effortless 10-miler at an again unintentionally much faster pace than I usually do my long runs, including two potty breaks.

It's been an amazing running week for me.

Dutchie

Dog-Love

Hi Dutchie...My running is not going great (Am 165 miles behind the 1000 mile bunny) but I am trying to get out a bit for even short ones.  Alaska weather has been better for skiing and some winters I don't run all that much.  Ran a 5K yesterday and it felt OK.   I keep up with the posts here but lately haven't had a lot to report.  Next week I am trying for a 20 mile week.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Getting back on track after 2 LOW mileage weeks. It was (and still is because I'm still in my office) a busy office week without my trusty CAD assistant (who has a slipped disk!) Also, amidst the turmoil I had a lovely birthday dinner and received my "surprise" present which will be a beach trip at the end of April. I'll need it!

Ran 10 miles this morning in a perfect sunny 40*F. Had a tummy issue after 2.5, luckily the washrooms in our city parks are nice and clean. I continued on and ran the last few miles at a moderate pace (11m/m) and felt good. Every type of runner was enticed hit the roads today - it was a such a great friendly town today. OK, break over, back to work...

I hope those doggies are feeling better, Dutchie.

A

Recalculating...