2000Km-1243 mile club

July 2014 (Read 12 times)

HappyFeat

Small town living --- parents hold a fundraiser 5K for high school athletics --- I win and get a PIE!! A really good homemade apple pie! Love it!!! Awful race for me really, but the "consolation prize" made up for it.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Pie! Running is awesome.

Recalculating...

I did a fun run once and all finishers got a blueberry pie...yum

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Boy Im still thinking about the pie a week later...

I'm drinking my tea and getting ready for a 7 miler, it's cool (just below 20C/ 70F) and low humidity. I think I've  gotten my work schedule under control - for now - and this will be my 5th run This week, legs are stiff but my mind is happier.

Hope everyone has a great run today! A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

I had a nice 2.5 hour trail run yesterday. IRC! After last Wednesday's tempo run, the trail run was more challenging than it would have been otherwise. I think my legs will get a lot stronger because of it though. Rest Day today with some yoga and upper body workout with hand weights.

Been trying to follow Russ on Tahoe Rim Trail 100 mile.  Live tracking stopped at the 92 mile mark....for most people.

How did you get on Russ?

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Good morning,

its Saturday and I'm sipping tea before an 8 miler. My little garden  is producing green beans (edible) and green tomatoes (gotta wait on those). What's going on out there?

What's  the word on the Tahoe Rim Trail Ultra?

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Been trying to follow Russ on Tahoe Rim Trail 100 mile.  Live tracking stopped at the 92 mile mark....for most people.

How did you get on Russ?

Finished 32:40. Spent an hour huddled on Snow Valley Peak in a scary lightning and hail storm (there is no cover up there, it's an exposed ridge). Fortunately some volunteers who had evacuated the aid station showed up in cars and we were able to ride out the storm in them. So, didn't really improve my time much but got the buckle and WS100 qualifier. Beautiful course! And really tough.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Glad you came through in one piece, Russ. Congrats on the WS qualifier. 32 hours - oh my!

My LR will be about 3 hours tomorrow and I thought that sounded like a long time until I read that.

Postponed my LR to tomorrow so I could go on a 6-mile hike with DH today in beautiful Pacific Northwest summer weather.

HappyFeat

Boy I'm still thinking about the pie a week later...

and two weeks later! Wish I had some now.

It really was a great treat and special kind of award. I don't think I've run in such a small race before and certainly never won before. Other than not marking the 5K turnaround before I got there, they tried really hard to put on a successful event.

HappyFeat

Good morning,

its Saturday and I'm sipping tea before an 8 miler.

You've had another good week of running, Ayola. I see your notes on being tired. I bet it's due to the jump in mileage. Hang in there. Stay consistent and it will get easier.

My LR this morning went better than I thought it would in several ways, although it wasn't an EZ run at any point.Still - I did not spend the last few miles cursing, grunting and groaning, or gasping for air - so it wasn't as hard as some! (Yep, that's my measuring stick!) My hope is all the challenging runs I do will make me that much stronger. Onward and upward, right?

MTA: I know it's pointless to compare; but yesterday Puke ran 3 miles more than I did today and finished more than 10 minutes quicker. Wow, that's faster than my 10K race pace! I'm in awe. I forgot when and what  your next race is....??

Finished 32:40. Spent an hour huddled on Snow Valley Peak in a scary lightning and hail storm (there is no cover up there, it's an exposed ridge). Fortunately some volunteers who had evacuated the aid station showed up in cars and we were able to ride out the storm in them. So, didn't really improve my time much but got the buckle and WS100 qualifier. Beautiful course! And really tough.

Awesome.....although I guess it wasn't awesome being surrounded by lightening.  Congrats on the WS100 qualification.  Now you just have to win survive the lottery I guess

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Good morning,

its Saturday and I'm sipping tea before an 8 miler. My little garden  is producing green beans (edible) and green tomatoes (gotta wait on those). What's going on out there?

What's  the word on the Tahoe Rim Trail Ultra?

A

mmmmmm beans. I love beans fresh from the garden

Goals 2016

Do stuff

You've had another good week of running, Ayola. I see your notes on being tired. I bet it's due to the jump in mileage. Hang in there. Stay consistent and it will get easier.

My LR this morning went better than I thought it would in several ways, although it wasn't an EZ run at any point.Still - I did not spend the last few miles cursing, grunting and groaning, or gasping for air - so it wasn't as hard as some! (Yep, that's my measuring stick!) My hope is all the challenging runs I do will make me that much stronger. Onward and upward, right?

MTA: I know it's pointless to compare; but yesterday Puke ran 3 miles more than I did today and finished more than 10 minutes quicker. Wow, that's faster than my 10K race pace! I'm in awe. I forgot when and what  your next race is....??

Obviously you are getting stronger Happy.  Often it is hard to notice improvement, not cursing is a sure sign.

My long run was actually better than I thought.  Considering I was about to pull pin at the 5 mile mark.  It was cold, my legs were aching and I just felt blah.  However a chocolate bar and a banana later I hit a bit of sunshine so just cruised until I was over the hills then thought I would pick it up a bit.  Finished with a 5:20/km pace for the last 8 km so pretty happy.  Was supposed to run for 90 minutes on Sunday, but unfortunately had too much Sambuca and beer. Oooops. Did some firewood instead.  Have a friend who is an arborist.  Mind-boggling watching someone dismantle a large tree from the top down.  Now have a pile of wood to split....

MTA: next race is Cambridge 1/2 next month followed by 24 hour track race 27 September...maybe

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

I did a fun run once and all finishers got a blueberry pie...yum

How did I miss this?? A whole pie for every person? Wow! Wonderful!

Yes, it is a sight to see an arborist take down a big tree. We recently had two large trees removed because they were too close to the house, leaning, and of an age that it was a risk to leave them. It was a sad day, but the tree dismantling was amazing to watch. We ended up giving most of the wood to a local charity that sells it as firewood to raise money for their kids camp.  We still have a few years worth of firewood left. DH took some pics. I'll try to post.  One shows a bald eagle perched in the branches the day they came to take down the tree. Guess he was saying goodby, but we'd never seen him in that tree before; so it was odd.

Good for you for hanging in there on your LR. Just goes to show the longer the run, the more chance it will get better.

first we say good bye

then the man cuts the branches off

They lowered these trees down in sections using a crane.