2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Mileage Check-In for week August 18 (Read 337 times)

Dutchie42

Getting us started for the new week. Though, maybe it's still the old week for you guys? I have a sore lower back and my left upper back is really painful! I don't know what's going on. Think I'll start the day with a yoga. Then I'll see whatelse. Have a great week everyone.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Think I'll start the day with a yogurt.
      I love yogurt! Shifting my run days around so Thursdays and Saturdays are freed up for college football season. Moving long runs to Sunday will also encourage that I take it easy on gameday (beer and bad food consumption). I can't make any promises, however, on the season opener or during rival week. A buddy of mine recently mentioned I should really start strectching 1/2 mile to a mile into a run. I never thought about it before but think this is a good idea. May help ease some of the "strange" sensations I'm feeling in my legs/feet/hip areas when I'm deep into harder or long runs. Will get in an easy 3-4 mile recovery run today. Gels comment: not a big fan of the "Carb Boom" gels. Bleeaaahk! Kind of gritty and pasty too. Dead

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I've had some right knee discomfort the last couple of days so I'm taking a couple of days off just in case so I'll be ok for this weekend's race, it's on a graded dirt road so shouldn't be as hard on me as a road race. I already did my long run and had a few good weeks so I should be OK, since I'm not really trying for a fast time.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

I've had some right knee discomfort the last couple of days so I'm taking a couple of days off just in case so I'll be ok for this weekend's race, it's on a graded dirt road so shouldn't be as hard on me as a road race. I already did my long run and had a few good weeks so I should be OK, since I'm not really trying for a fast time.
          Good luck in the race. what is your pre-big race long run up to these days by the way?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I got a 16 and a 18.6, with a 49-mile week. That wouldn't do if I was trying to PR but I felt OK and should do OK at Horses. I really have a tough time getting psyched up for long runs, I'd rather do a race at training pace.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

I run for Fried Chicken!

6.5 to start off the week. 26 miles in the last 4 days and my legs are definitely feeling it. Going to be a rest day tomorrow.

Dog-Love

I felt GREAT today during an 8 mile run. Its been awhile since I felt that good. Good luck Perfessor on this weekend race.
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Uh oh. Running easy yesterday and I got myself a big old cramp in my right calf. It was actually not in the meaty part of the calf, but rather, about as low as you can go and still call it the calf. Couple that with a left calf that's been sore ever since I blasted that interval workout last week, and you've got a dude who's ready to rock and roll from the knees up, but ready to rest below the knees. Today is off, then. Tomorrow, back to super easy to try yo loosen things up. Once I feel better, I need to start doing strides more regularly, so that it's not such a shock to my body when I really do want to run fast. Sad

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

I need to do strides more often too.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

...---...

Have I asked what a stride is before? Well, if so, let's pretend I didn't. I've read descriptions of strides before but it didn't click. Based on what my mind has interpreted, I'm not sure what the difference is between a stride and running faster periodically for short periods of time during a run. Or is that it? MTA workout notes: 7 miles, tempo. Managed a 9:15 pace including a warm up mile. I tried to maintain 9 min miles but my inexperience with knowing my paces showed as I was all over the place. Mile 2 was an 8:55 but then mile 4 was 9:17, then 9:06, etc. I suppose, over all, it wasn't bad pacing.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Strides mean different things to different people. Sometimes they are very short (15 seconds to 2 minute) sprints with recovery intervals. To me they are longer, up to 10-minute periods at lactate threshold pace. I used them to gradually ease into speedwork. I started with 1-2 minute periods and worked up to 10 minutes. Then I transitioned to tempo runs. I haven't done any speedwork this year, though.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Traditional definition for strides, and the one I've seen used most often, is 15~20 sec bursts of controlled speed sprinkled into what is an otherwise easy run. They're just a way to sneak a little speed in, without hammering away. PerfesserR, you can call 'em whatever you like, but most folks would call 1~2 minutes+recovery "intervals", and by traditional definitions, runs at lactate threshold are tempo runs. Shorter than 20 minutes at LT are usually called tempo intervals or cruise intervals.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I run for Fried Chicken!

Are strides fartleks in a different language?

...---...

Okay - I think I've got a better idea of strides now...well, until Aaron brought up the FARTLEK thing Big grin Just kidding. I would like to hear how FARTLEK is separated as well. So then, is the speed part of an intervals done more at lactate threshold where the stride, by traditional definition, is considered speed before getting into the lactate threshold level? MTA: is there, then, a general rule of thumb as to how many strides one would do based on their ability level/fitness level? I mean, I still consider myself a novice...not a beginner but not neccessarily an intermediate. If I were to go out and do strides today, I might consider doing 10 strides, per the tradition definition, within an easy 4 mile run. Since I don't know, does this sound like a suicide mission after yesterday's tempo run?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Are strides fartleks in a different language?
                                Okay, so fartlek is Swedish for "speed play." It implies a random, unstructured periods of slow and fast. The way I defined strides above could be construed as a fartlek. But for me, strides are part of an easy run. I usually consider a fartlek to be a quality day, on par with an interval or tempo workout. The length of the random pickups in a Globule fartlek are usually 1~5 minutes in length as opposed to the 15~20 seconds for strides. As far as strides go, there's no guideline for ability. But since they're part of an easy run, I usually don't exceed 8. Here's how I define/use the common terms. Similar to Daniels, though I did these long before I ever read his book. Strides: short 15~20sec bursts of controlled, comfortable speed in an otherwise easy run. Intervals: A structured speed workout with the runs at faster than 5k pace. Reps are 1~6 minutes in length, with recoveries lasting lasting in equal or less duration than the hard part. Example: 6x800m with 400m recovery jog. Fartlek: Similar intensity to intervals, but with no structure. Random bursts of 1~5 minutes hard, with randmom recoveries, all based on feel. One of my favorites is on a hilly course where I push the uphills, recover on the flats, and open it up again on the downhills. Tempo Run: 20 minutes at Lactate Threshold pace, which is about 10sec/mi slower than 10k pace. If I do a longer tempo, I reduce the pace. A tempo run is a comfortably hard, sustained run. Usually a pace you could hold for 40~60 minutes tops, but you go for 20~30. You finish feeling like you could do more, but are glad you don't have to. Tempo/Cruise intervals: This one is new to me, from Daniels. Like intervals, except done at LT pace, and with short recoveries. Example: 5x1 mile with 1min recovery. Advantage here is that you get more running at LT pace than a 20 min tempo, and the 1min recovery is short enough to ensure you stay at LT through out the workout.