Got it!

woo hoo !!!!!!!

Great news

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Congratulations Ayola - that's great!!

4 miles outside for me tonight - got it in before dark - just had to get off the TM! It's starting to kill my shins. Rest day tomorrow, then plan on a challenging 12 mile LR Sat a.m. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Lot's of good reports out there, great job everybody.

I have a tune up half marathon on Sunday.  My recent lack of training has got me concerned, but the half should really give me a good idea of where I stand for my BQ attempt.

We are mostly past phase one of our stress test here.  My wife's father got moved into a nursing home last week and is adjusting fairly well.  That is one less thing to worry about.  Phase two for the wife's chemo is going well.  She had her second treatment yesterday and is still tolerating it with no issues.  I think she might even be up to going to the race with me on Sunday.

HappyFeat

Good luck in your race on Sunday, Jeff. I hope your wife can accompany you and enjoy the day too.

What would your marathon finish time have to be for you to BQ?

Imminent Catastrophe

Yay Ayola!

Ran the Post Oak Challenge 50k in Tulsa OK today. It's just about the perfect long trail training run--constant, twisty, hilly, some rocky portions but 95% runnable and great aid stations and volunteers. 

Sometimes the right song at the right time can really make the difference. Today around mile 22 I really hit a low point so plugged ONE earplug in and fired up the iPod. The third song that came up in the shuffle was Meat Loaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" and I just started laughing out loud and singing out loud, it really lifted me up at that point. Anyway I ended up with 6:10-ish which was good enough for 2nd place in age group. 

Tomorrow is the marathon, then it's taper time for Tarawera.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Great start to the weekend Russ, good luck with the short race tomorrow.

Happy - My BQ time is 3:25 minus whatever the cut is set at this year.  I'm shooting for 3:20 just to be safe.  I figure I need about a 1:35 in my half tomorrow to feel like I'm on the right track.

A late night good luck on the racing tomorrow for the Perfesser and Jeff. I'm awake listening to a wedding party next door - the band is actually not bad. If you can't beat 'em join them... I'm planning on an easy 6 tomorrow. PS Meatloaf???

Recalculating...

PS Meatloaf???

One of the funniest songs ever!

Good luck Russ and Jeff. Enjoy your easy 6 A

First day back in the shoes yesterday for an easy 7km, then 22km easy run today alongside a couple of hydro dams....stunning scenery, and so close to home.

+1 for Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights", one of my favourite running songs

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Colonial Half Marathon mini race report:

It was fantastic weather for the race today.  It was an unusual 1:00 PM start and conditions were 47F and sunny.  I started out a little faster than my goal pace.  I was shooting for around 1:35:00.  The first couple of miles went by in a little under 7:00.  I found somebody I knew at about mile 2 and fell into pace with him and just decided to go with it.  First 5K was just under 22:00 so I eased up a little.  I was feeling good but I was getting concerned because the course was far more hilly than I anticipated and since it was essentially an out and back I was getting a good look at the hills close to the finish.  The second 5K went by in a calmer 22:25 followed by the halfway mark at 46:50. 

My confidence boosted by the great split time and how good I was feeling I decided to push towards a negative split.  Third 5K went by in 21:34.  Still feeling strong but the hills were back in the picture.  I went out on my own at this point and started charging the hills and pushing to the finish.  Fourth 5K in 21:17 and the finish at 1:32:07 for a nice negative split.  It was a great confidence builder going into my BQ attempt in a couple of weeks.

Imminent Catastrophe

Jeff, nice run, 1:32 is blazing fast! Good luck on the BQ. What time do you need?

The second part of the double went pretty well, I had a pretty steady pace throughout and felt OK, although my legs were (understandably) tired I finished feeling fairly good, so it was a good weekend of training. I got third in AG but I suspect that was also LAST in AG.  Most importantly I had a pretty even pace and didn't hurt anything.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Very well done, Jeff and Russ!

+1 here too for Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" Big grin

My 12-miler (on my Big Hills road route) went well yesterday. My back is better every day and running doesn't bother it anymore. So I just emailed the trail running gal I had contacted right before I hurt my back and asked if she's running next Saturday - sign me up! 

MTA: I see drphibes you ran about 7 miles the day after a 12-mile LR.  You all who can do back-to-back longer runs after your LR really show off your endurance fitness.  Personally I require a Rest Day after the LR....not sure if I'll ever acquire that endurance...I could always surprise myself though.  BTW, your new Profile Pic is scarey.Clown

Good job, Jeff and Russ.  Faster and longer than I even dream of running.  Good prep for both of you and your big races.

MTA: I see drphibes you ran about 7 miles the day after a 12-mile LR.  You all who can do back-to-back longer runs after your LR really show off your endurance fitness.  Personally I require a Rest Day after the LR....not sure if I'll ever acquire that endurance...I could always surprise myself though.  BTW, your new Profile Pic is scarey.Clown

I was pretty happy about coming back the day after 12...and then I saw Russ's weekend.  Seriously, I used to always take a rest day (or two) after long runs. I used to take two rest days before long runs, now that I think about it. Like everything else in this sport its adaptation. Just try a mile or two one day after a long run and see how it goes.

But it will definitely be a rest day for me tomorrow.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Awesome numbers all.  Super quick 1/2 Jeff.  Russ, enjoy your taper. That was a very solid weekend.

4 km for me today.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

so is this year officially easier since it is a leap year?

Goals 2016

Do stuff