2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check-In for 11/24-11/30 (Read 405 times)

...---...

Spooky and SPike love to run through mud fields. Dutchie would have some amazingly fast times if it weren't for the mud field deviations by Spooky and Spike. Haven't heard much about Spike lately. Hobbes and Daisy send all K9's a high paw.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Buh. I was going to run the Atlanta HM today but yesterday I wrenched my back. Got up today, put on my race bib and tried to jog a little. It was not going to happen, felt like an icepick in my back.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Oh sorry, Perfesser, always such a bummer if you have to drop out of a race. Did you train for it or did it just fit in with your schedule? Clowning around HAPPY THANKSGIVING Clowning around

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

High paws too Daisy and Hobbes too from Spooky and Spikey. Spike is only coming along on my shorter runs these days: up to 6.5K. I don't have as much time in the morning to run as I did in my old job (till April). And Spike's sniffing and digging just was too time consuming. So he comes along for recovery runs (haven't had much of those lately) and/or my Sat run.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Here's a question for anyone who's bored: I seem to feel more and more unsafe, whether I'm running early mornings, or biking home in the dark from work. Now I know I've had a couple of encounters with unsavoury characters in the past while running early mornings in Summer, never (!) in Winter, and it never bothered me till this Summer. And about the biking. Well, my job has me working "late". I don't get to go home on my bike till 6h30 PM sometimes later and by then it's pitch black outside. There's this guy standing on a deserted, dark smallish wooden bridge around 6h45PM. He's there every evening for the past two weeks that I rode by. He makes me feel very uncomfortable. Yesterday evening he was there, in the rain, smoking a cigarette. There's no dog around, no other people. I feel very unsafe and previous experiences with dangerous situations have taught me to trust my instincts. I could ride another route, but it would add at least 10 minutes and in the cold, the ever present wind and often the rain, I really don't want to do that. I just don't understand why I feel more and more unsafe. Things like this never used to bother me before. Is it "old age"? Am I more aware of how vulnerable I am out alone in the dark?

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh sorry, Perfesser, always such a bummer if you have to drop out of a race. Did you train for it or did it just fit in with your schedule? Clowning around HAPPY THANKSGIVING Clowning around
              Yeah, I'm not a happy camper but, stuff happens. I had done some training but not enough to run it hard, I was going to make it a slow training run. BTW DW ran and was interviewed on TV, and gave me some grief for DNS'ing: http://www.11alive.com/video/default.aspx?mid=941813448 Click on "Hundreds run half marathon" on the right. Dutchie, take care. Awareness is the best defense.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

The TV guy Randy was a tool. That's funny though. 5.6 miles before meal. Awesome weather today.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Gig

I might be a good idea to confront the man on the bridge, but maybe only if you can have someone with you. It would let him know that he's been noticed. If he's somebody who's up to something, that ought to scare him away. Race report coming in three installments to make the reading manageable. It was going to be something like "I starte, ran for a while, had an owwie, HTFU'd, and finished." But the pressure caused me to write a tome.

Imminent Catastrophe

Dutchie, could you call the police? It certainly seems suspicious to me. OTOH, maybe he can't smoke in his house. Anyway if a policeman had a chat with him he might move on. I still couldn't run today but did manage 30 minutes on the hotel elliptical. Darn, in San Francisco and I really wanted to run across the Golden Gate Bridge. Maybe next time.

Dutchie42

Yesterday LB/UB strength training (30/30min). Today 7.8K easy run. And my R-foot now hurts as bad as it did two months ago. I'm limping around trhe house again. ARGHHH. Nothing happened. It just started to hurt again after approx. 5K. Was wearing old shoes with approx. 350K on them. I thought I was ready to up my long run to 10 miles in december. Maybe I should go back to my orthotics person. Have her check it out.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Very cold morning, ground's frozen solid. My R-foot is still tender, but not painful. I'll hop on the TM later today. Not looking forward to that. But the second my foot starts to hurt I'll just have to step off and I'm done. If I go out for a run, I still have to walk back. And it's a softer surface, so that might help too. So the TM seems the better option. I'll probably run on the TM all week. I guess once I've put in my first TM run for this Winter, it won't seem so bad anymore. I've been avoiding it like the plague. Rather skipped a run then use the TM. Upside: I can use my xmas running cd's again Big grin and "watch" tv at the same time. Saves time that. Someone should invent something where you can run on the TM and do the ironing!

Dutchie

...---...

really wanted to run across the Golden Gate Bridge. Maybe next time. Ah, man. Hate that for you. What a great run that is. My 9 miles in the cold misting rainy crapy weather here resembled a run over the GGB.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Dutchie - do you carry pepper spray? Please consider it if you don't.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Gig

Last week I had a nice run on Monday. On Wednesday, I planned to do 3, still recovering from the marathon and a calf. But I felt great and so I kept going. I did 7.25 miles. Up all night with calf cramps, and it's been hurting since. I've stayed off it as much as I can, and I won't run until Tuesday at the earliest. I guess I'm Icarus, with a calf muscle instead of wings. I've been doing some self massage, and DW has actually massaged it some (she hates that). I was planning to see somebody if it didn't feel better by Monday, but it seems like I'm well on the mend. Still, I'll take it slow gettng back on the road. No