2000Km-1243 mile club

March Check-in (Read 373 times)

Dutchie42

Good morning all,

If you'd check my log, you'd never believe I have a marathon coming up in 8 weeks Shocked Though judging by the UK RW London marathon training schedule, I'm not doing too badly, except for the part where I missed two long runs in a row.

I better get my act together and step it up ..... a lot.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

This morning was an easy 10.25 kilometer run with Spooky. My calfs felt very tight and needed stretching about every 5 minutes. I contribute that to last nights PT treatment. Otherwise nice run.

Dutchie

Dutchie - thanks for reminding me to roll out the calves after my run - mine a getting tight.

I had a couple of great runs in Central Park this weekend at home and a hard weight training session yesterday using mostly body weight/ resistance.

Its a bit cold and icy here so I'm off to the gym for 90 minutes on the treadmill. March is going out like a lion.

Happy Thursday, A

Recalculating...

Went out for an expected easy 6 miles last night and ended up a little different.  I hit the 3 mile point with my HR still at easy pace but my split time right at my 10K PR.  I quickly decided to turn it into a tempo run and ended up with an unofficial 10K PR by almost a minute and a half.  I guess I'll do my easy run today instead Smile.

Imminent Catastrophe

4.3 easy today, a tune-up for Sunday. I'm glad I did this, because I still had sand in my shoes from my last race. Better to find that out now than on Saturday!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Jeff, bet you felt on top o' the world with that run!

PerfesserR, glad it's you and not me wanting to run 50 miles this Saturday. I'm not sure there is enough prep you can do for that kind of challenge.

I've been flattened with a flu/virus bug. Managed to work a little more than half a day yesterday, then home to bed and couldn't lift my head off the pillow to go run. Worked a half day today, then "home to bed" but am here on the computer wondering if I can run. I feel like I don't know if I want to faint or throw up. The treadmill is likely my safest option in case of either one.

Dutchie, what are the long run distances in your training program? Is it one where you work up to the marathon distance on race day? 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Have had a quiet couple of weeks since my 30km race but trying to pick it up again.

Thanks for the reminder Dutchie...my marathon is the day b4 yours Shocked, so guess i had better get back into it properly.

This last week had a day of rescue training....very hard work running up and down stairs rescuing dummies from burning buildings...which meant I was too knackered to go for a run when I got home.  Maybe I should have worn my Garmin and saved it as an activity Joking

Did 18km on Sunday, bit like Heffa, started out easy, but just seemed to have plenty in the tank so pushed it a bit harder.  Ended up with a PR for the course.

Been biking to work most days for the last few weeks (price of petrol getting ridiculous) but it seems to be having the effect of reducing my avg HR when I go running...hmmm

Did 4x950 hill reps this morning, only ever done 3 before, but felt good so did one more.

Rest day tomorrow then Rotorua off-road 1/2 marathon on Sunday.  Plan on just treating it as a 21.1km training run....but that will probably all change as soon as I start running with others.

Good luck for the big run PerfesserR

Hope you get over the bug soon Happy, just be careful about spewing on the treadmill, must be a right pain to get it all off the belt. Smile

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Dutchie42

Happy: are you feeling better?

I'm sort of following the RW UK London marathon plan mixed with the training schedule I used for my 1st marathon.The plan has you building your long runs up to 30K (18.65 miles), including two races (10 miler and a half, supposedly this weekend).

For my 1st marathon I ran only 4 times a week with my longest long run being 36K (22.4 miles). The RW UK marathon plan has you run 5 times a week and takes you up to 30K (18.65 miles). So my long runs are slightly longer, plus I have two more week to get ready for my marathon. Sunday I should run 27K according to the UK plan, which I know I can do. My plan says 30K. I know I can run it. Question is, how will I feel: is it hard, do I feel like walking all the time or will it be reasonably comfortable?

Perfesser: can't even fathom running 50 kilometers, let alone 50 miles! Are you turning ultra runner on me?

Ayola: so do you see any changes due to the strength training?

Jeff: aren't those the greatest runs?

Pukekura: great running for you too!

Dutchie

Wow, everyone is getting fit and fast, hope it rubs off on me. Easy, short 2.5 miles this morning, 10 tomorrow.

Dutchie - About the weight training - overall I feel more fit and my clothes fit better. My weight is in the same 2-3 pound range but my body fat is definitely 5% lower. On the plus side my runs seem easier, but I get tired/ sore after weight training days. Yesterday I has hobble-ing around the office and unhappy - so I'm still ambivalent. I'm 11 weeks from my race, so I'm just going to meet the trainer once a week now and stretch and do body weight stuff on my own - hopefully outside when the weather unbreaks. I need the extra workout  run day to get to the 30-35 mile week.

Perfesser - good luck with your 50 miler. I'll try to image it while a run 1/5 the distance tomorrow. (I will also try to imagine I'm in Arizona)

Feel better Happy! A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Happy Friday! My tummy is not completely recovered - got that "nervous stomach feeling" after my morning coffee - but that metallic taste I get when I have a virus is gone this morning. So I know it's over. I ran 8 miles on the TM last night. The pre-run caffeinated Clif Shot Block helped a bit, I think.Clown  I did a progressive run starting with a warmup pace of 11:45 and working up to running the final 2 at 10:20.  I'm hopeful I'll get to 10 mpm by May.  No running today, but planning on doing the "rolling hills" 10-mile route tomorrow.

MTA: I have NO idea why this came out double-spaced...?

Imminent Catastrophe

Perfesser - good luck with your 50 miler. I'll try to image it while a run 1/5 the distance tomorrow. (I will also try to imagine I'm in Arizona)

Once again I ask myself, what the hell was I thinking?

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Dutchie42

Ayola: I haven't done any weight training in a month. But I"m getting back into it. Wanna look good in my finish photo at the marathon Wink

Perfesser: good luck! I'm sure you do well.

Happy: hopefully your stomach is back to normal today.

Me: nice morning for an 8.9K run. Peaceful and quiet. Bit cold. Spooky was pretty obedient, till she saw a deer. Chased after it, but when the deer ran in the underbrush, Spooky gave up and came back. She's a chaser, runs after anything that moves, including radio controlled toy cars.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Thinking of Russ and his courageous efforts today. Go Russ!!

I wish I was better Dutchie   Feels like I relapsed today -  the body aches are gone, but I feel faint, queasy, weak in the knees again.  Can hardly focus on the computer so you know it's bad!  It's really a gorgeous day out, clear, 37F, and I hope to go running later if I feel better. The TM again may be my safest option.  I have the added bonus of having my thyroid go hyper right now, so fatigue is NOT one of my symptoms. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks everyone.

Well, I did it, but it was a close thing. This was harder than I had expected, with very challenging technical climbs, steep, rocky descents, then a nasty headwind that sandblasted us on the longest climb from 20-29. They had a high DNF rate this year. 

I had my lowest point ever in a race, just after the mile 29 aid station I had an intestinal meltdown. Good thing I'm anal (pun intended) and had extra wipey-things packed in my RaceReady shorts. Then I totally lost it, I was so tired and discouraged and just couldn't pick my feet up, kept stumbling over small rocks,  and the thought of another 20 miles just seemed impossible. I was totally exhausted at that point and just wanted to sit down and take a nap. I have never been so discouraged and exhausted in a race. So I decided to drop at the mile 33 aid station, where it would be just a short 3-mile walk back to the car, then withdraw from all future ultras that I've registered for. I had it all planned out.  

Once I arrived at mile 33 I fought a nasty swarm of yellowjackets who were trying to claim the sugary drinks, downed 3 cups of Coke, and I couldn't figure out what would be my excuse for dropping out because "tired" is not really an excuse. So I turned right (continuing the race) and soon started to feel better. 

Anyway, after reaching mile 40 and downing my Starbucks Expresso Double-shot I felt even better and realized that I might be able to meet my goal of "beating the sun"--finishing before the 6:23 sunset, and maybe even beating the 12-hour mark at 6 p.m. So I pressed on and ended up finishing in 11:56 or so (5:56), just under the 12-hour mark, and got a beautiful finisher's buckle from the RD.  

MTA:

Yes, a buckle for a 50-miler. My first. I like!

Wow. Just wow. Great write up so soon after. Like to read more details, but you desire a nice long rest after that.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??