2000Km-1243 mile club

March Check-in (Read 373 times)

I'm not really a fan of Pink but I heard her live version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" that was awesome!

Yeah not bad, but I still prefer the Muppet's version Big grin

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

So, yes, Pukekura (what does your name mean anyway, if you don't mind my asking?) my mileage is building up. I want to get consistent with 30 mpw and then I want to work up to 35 mpw because I feel this is the way to get more fit for running longer and faster - along with some speed workouts too of course.Then I basically want to keep it there year-round.

I do have a couple events planned - repeats of last year - but am now fearing I won't be as fast (relative term), when I've working at being faster! I still have 2 months before the first one a 12K on May 22, so we'll see. The other is a HM in September and I really want to reach 10 mpm for that.

Pukekura is the name for the rural location where I live. Puke is maori for hill, and kura either means red or school.  So probably red hill....

Sounds much better than my real name - Brian.  Sorry Drphibes Smile

I like your plan to increase you mileage, then increase you speed.  Damn hard to run tempos when you are knackered.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Ran a little 5K today.  Intentionally did not run close to PR pace.  Why pay $30 and not do my best?  The race was a fundraiser for a friend's (in fact he used to work for me) family.  They have a 14-month old who had a heart transplant in November.  The boy is doing great, all things considered, but their bills have been astronomical.  They received a hospital bill for, literally, over 1 million dollars.  Insurance has paid most, but a lot of the has come from COTA - Children's Organ Transplant Association which helps families whose children need transplants.  The race was a fundraiser for COTA so I had to do it, even though I haven't run anything fast since last Labor Day.  

24:45, 1:33 slower than PR.  6th or 7th place out of 100 (but only a few were runners)

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

All of mine are slow! Where can I get some fast ones?

Ha!

Its about time to get some new sneaks (fast ones?) I think I may try Nike Pegasus, looking for a shoe that I can get 300+ miles, although I might just stick with my Mizuno Riders (lasts about 250 for me)

On saturday I ran 13.  I was very careful about water breaks and stretching throughout as I was really sore last week, hence the super slow time. and was able to run the last 2 miles around 11:30m/m no problem. Sunday rest.

Just enough snow on the ground for footprints this morning -4*C, I ran 3 miles moderately. Tomorrow a little bit of 5K pace.

Happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Quick post from work (internet is out at home: something about the DNS server).

Due to family stuff I can't go to Vancouver.....Cry I can't be 3000 kilometers or so away from home... so to speak. I'm not sure yet about the santa claus marathon in Finland in June. I'm sooo bummed.

Not to mention the 910 euros for the lfight. All gone! I actually had a "flight insurance" in case I couldn't go. But my specific circumstances are not covered.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Spent the weekend in Williamsburg, VA.  I'm ready to move there!  They have biking and running trails just about everywhere.  One of the trails was .75 miles from the time share and it went for so many miles that I didn't even scratch the surface on a 7 miler one day and a 10 miler the next.  Just a little jealous.

Went shopping at the Williamsburg outlets with the specific intention of trying on a bunch of shoes.  Big dissappointment there.  The Merrell True Gloves feel terrible, the Fila Skeletoes were better but too stiff, and all the "light weight" shoes from Puma, Adidas, Nike.....etc were too heavy with thick heels.  I guess it's time to order the Inov8's and try them out since I can't find a pair around here to try on.

Friday did just under 9km at a bit faster than my marathon pace.

Saturday, was going to do 30km but the rain was really heavy.  Wifey thinks I need to HTFU.  Waited till it eased off in the afternoon and went for about 10km at the same pace as Fridays run.

Sunday, rain had cleared but it was really humid. By the time I got myself organised,  it was 9am.  Mental note to get everything ready the previous night :-) Did my 30km which consisited of 10km run to the hils, 10km through and over the hills, and 10km back home.  Compared it to the same time last year, on the same course, and I was 10 minutes faster with a lower average heart rate. Fairly happy with that.

Rest day Monday

Today, I do my regular 750g plasma donation, which leaves me a bit dehydrated, so will probably just do a light 7km. Will see how I feel.  Lazy or not lazy. Wink

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

I had an interesting run Sunday. I took a bus from downtown San Francisco out to the Marin Headlands and ran back to downtown. It started out badly, the bus took a different route due to construction and when I got off I didn't know exactly where I was. Then it started raining. After meandering around for awhile I figured it out and eventually found my planned route, part of the Miwok 100k course. After a week of heavy rains the trails were rivers of mud. At first I was trying to avoid the worst puddles but eventually gave up, sploshing through the quagmire up and over the coastal range, getting totally wet and muddy. By then there was a strong cold wind driving the rain. I actually was having fun running along the ridge, then came over the hill to this view:

That's my destination at the left edge of the photo. The run down the Coastal Trail to the GGB was fun. Halfway across the Golden Gate some Police cars came speeding toward me then whipped around in the other direction and pulled up by the railing on the southbound lane. There were some people standing there looking shocked, and they said someone had just jumped, a couple of minutes ago. 

After that I started to really get tired, by the time I finished, about 13 miles, my legs were tired and my legs and feet felt like I'd run twice that far. 

Anyway it was a mini-adventure and one to remember. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Inov-8 195's are on the way.  Russ, I see you have a pair.  How are they working out for you?  I hope they fit me.  I looked around a little and everybody seems to agree that they run true to size so I ordered them in my typical Asics size.

Imminent Catastrophe

Inov-8 195's are on the way.  Russ, I see you have a pair.  How are they working out for you?  I hope they fit me.  I looked around a little and everybody seems to agree that they run true to size so I ordered them in my typical Asics size.

Heffa, the 195's are great! They are truly minimal shoes, and weigh about the same as Fivefingers. They are extremely light and flexible, they feel like slippers, I love the feel. I ordered a half-size larger and they fit a half-size larger, so they are true to size. I think you'll like them. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Dutchie That is SUCH a bummer about not being able to do the Vancouver Marathon after all! Your disappointment must be HUGE! So sorry to hear about that.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Quick post from work (internet is out at home: something about the DNS server).

Due to family stuff I can't go to Vancouver.....Cry I can't be 3000 kilometers or so away from home... so to speak. I'm not sure yet about the santa claus marathon in Finland in June. I'm sooo bummed.

Not to mention the 910 euros for the lfight. All gone! I actually had a "flight insurance" in case I couldn't go. But my specific circumstances are not covered.

Bugger.........feel for you

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Dutchie42

Happy: I was, and guess I still am, very disappointed, especially since it was a destination race and I was really looking forward to discovering Vancouver. It would've been my first vacation in 4 years.

Perfesser: quite an adventure you've had. That's something that scares me about running in a strange city: not knowing where I am. I usually pick an out and back route, safe and uneventful Wink

Internet is still out at home. Even the solution the techies here at work gave me didn't help. Guess I have to call the provider tomorrow. A painfull, long and expensive process.

Haven't felt much like running so decided I do whatever I feel like for the next 10 days or so. Then pick up on base training (with 25K long runs) and eventually start marathon training again. The Medoc Marathon in France in September looks like a lot of fun. Here's the link, you can choose the english version. I'm hoping in September the situation in my family will have resolved or at least settled down.

http://www.marathondumedoc.com/

Dutchie
                            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie: I'm really sorry about you not being able to get to Vancouver - hopefully you can get to Medoc - for the marathon AND a vacation.

Finally on the plus side of celsius this morning for a short 3 at moderate pace. Tomorrow I'm going to try out some HM pace within a 6-7 mile run. I'm hoping to get in front of the bunny by the end of April.

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, Dutchie, sorry that things fell through. I hope you're able to get it done sometime soon.

I had another muddy, rainy run, in Portland, Oregon this time. I'm starting to grow moss! It was a nice run though, Portland is a trailrunner's paradise. They have all these nice trails here, shady dirt (or mud) trails through Sequoia and Redwood forests with no horses or bikes allowed so they don't get chewed up. And they're all in the city and easily accessible. I have to get out here more!