2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check-in: April 19-25 (Read 420 times)

Dog-Love

Well this is the first time I jumped on the 1st post...

Had a great 6 miler sort of fast on trails in the rain with 2 good friends.  No Rusty but as I mentioned before, he has slowed way down and is good for no more than 3 miles.  I think I felt so good because I took 2 days off after my 12 mile run on Saturday

Have a good week.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Just a dude.

Easy but fastish 7 yesterday...

8 with hill repeats today... felt easier than expected...

My younger brother is starting to run... I've got his pride on the line for a track meet we are gonna run together the end of May...  This could be pretty fun...  He's already up to 2.5 miles and down almost 15lbs...

It may be a slow motion 400 meter dash to the death... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Dutchie42

Jeff: congrats! Great finish time! And nice running all the way through, especially since you didn't feel prepared.

Perfesser: how's the running going.

Kelly: that is soooo cool that you'll be racing your brother. Hope you do well

I had an amazing run yesterday morning. I did a 1.5K warm up, then 11x285 meter hill repeats, or should I say bridge repeats cause there are no hills here, with a recovery jog down, then a 1.5K warm down. Oddly enough, my hill repeats got faster as I did more of them (1:40-1:21), and my warm down was also 2 minutes faster than my warm up. I expected myself to slow down as I got tired. But that didn't happen. And I had FUN My last hill repeat I chased two runners that I passed recovering down, and were already half way up the bridge when I stormed up. I passed them a few seconds before the top. Felt great. I have no idea about the incline though.

Slept in today. Guess it'll be a rest day.

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Jeff: congrats! Great finish time! And nice running all the way through, especially since you didn't feel prepared.

Perfesser: how's the running going.

Kelly: that is soooo cool that you'll be racing your brother. Hope you do well

Nice of you to ask! I've been basebuilding for awhile and am gearing up for an aggressive racing season (for me). So far, so good, none of my problems has resurfaced. I ran a 15k last weekend and have a HM next (had to downgrade from the full marathon). I'm geared toward trail runs/ultras now and having a lot more fun than when I was just doing road and track runs. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Just a dude.

Kind of a crazy run tonight... First, didn't get to start till 9pm...

I did a 2 mile warm up in the rain headed to the park...

I have a little loop that is about a 100 meter stride, and then about a 3 minute job around 4 little league baseball fields and a little playground jungle gym thing... I did 10 laps around that.

Started with just a Tshirt.

2nd lap, I put my stocking cap back on as it was just a bit cold

3rd lap, it started snowing

4th lap, I put my jacket and "gloves" back on

6th lap, the snow is sticking to the grass

8th lap, the snow is sticking to the dirt, and where I do my strides is getting slushy... Its hard to even see with all the snow falling in my face.

10th lap, snow is started to stick on the pavement.

2 mile cool down on mostly slush, hurrying to get done before it gets too slick...  Got home at nearly 10:30...

Kind of fun actually... but now I'm soaked...

-Kelly

(the reason "gloves" are in quotes is because the gloves I usually use were swiped from where I keep them... so I actually ended up wearing a pair of mismatched cotton socks on my hands.... )

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Dutchie42

In 2011 I'll turn 50 (!) and I've decided that I want to be out of the country for a marathon around that time. The one I found and is very appealing to me is the Vancouver marathon that's usually the 1st Sunday of May.

I've been trying to figure out what would be the cheapest option.Using 2010 prices:

a plane ticket would cost: approx. 1000,= euros.

Hotel costs if I'm not too close to the start/finish area comes down to 100- CAN$ a night and I'd like to fly in at least 2 days before and not fly back till 2 days after. 

And entry fee in 2010 was 85 CAN$.

Another option would be an organised trip to the marathon. This year (5 days) it cost 1550 euros. This includes flights, hotel, a guide and a PT that travels with the group.

And a 3rd option would be to sign up for the marathon, and book an 8 day citytrip (7 nights) around it. A citytrip (flight + hotel) to Vancouver (7 nights) would cost about 1200-1400 euros this year. Probably a little more next year. And I would not be in the start/finish area at all. It looks like it would be the cheapest option.

I have to do a bit more research and get some information from travel agencies too. But looks like I'm in Vancouver next year Smile Unless something happens to my financial situation between now and when I book my city trip.

Anyone who has more info on Vancouver (marathon, city, hotels), I'd appreciate anything you can tell me.

Dutchie

6 Tuesday, 6 yesterday, 6 today - I'm happy with this midweek workout - it makes getting to 30 mpw easier.

I've gotta look for some trails to run on (the weekends) everyone really seems to enjoy them and I could do with a few less curb cuts!

Dutchie: destination marathon sounds cool - I'm on the on the other coast - don't know much about Vancouver... I was thinking about a marathon in 2011, but I'm trying to crack 2hrs in the HM first, and it might take another year (to commit to 40 mile weeks!) and another 10 lbs OR might just throw my name into the NYC marathon lottery

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

9.6 with various dogs today easy. The second was 5.6 on a hilly course and I hit the hills pretty aggressively. Does that count as a hill workout?

Plus I've hit a 5-month high in monthly mileage and it's only the 22nd. It's one month until my first marathon of the current cycle. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Perfesser: you ran with various dogs? As in you ran a loop around your house and picked up a different dog each time?

This morning was 45 min UB first (STS Ba/Bi), then a 3 kilometer recovery run with Spooky, that is, I ran it pretty fast, so guess it's not really a recovery run, followed by a 30 minute plyo w/o (skipped the w/u cause I did the run).  Feel absolutely great. Ran out of time for abs. Will absolutely do it this afternoon, after work.

Dutchie

Seems like I am always on here complaining about something so I'm sorry in advance but I have to get some stuff out.  If you are soft hearted you may not wish to continue reading as it pertains to the death of one our pets.

We had a tradgedy in our house last night.  One of our pet rats choked to death.  It was such a powerless feeling.  I've been second guessing myself ever since in what I could have done to help her.  From what I have read it is actually fairly common for rats to choke on things.  Usually they can get it out by themselves but it can take upwards of an hour for them to work it out.  She went from the first choke to dead in about 5 minutes.  We took her out of the cage to see if we could help and now I think that may have been the wrong thing to do.  It was so hard to tell if she was getting any air at all.  I don't know what I am looking for to move on from this.  It is just so hard to know if she would have died if I did nothing, then I would have felt even worse for not trying.  I'm trying to tell myself that I've learned from the experience and it will make me a better pet owner but I am so depressed right now.

Sorry for laying this on you guys but like I said I think it might help me work out what I'm feeling.  I know most of you are pet owners and I thought you might be able to relate.

HappyFeat

I do understand how you're feeling, Jeff. The loss of a pet leaves a huge hole in your heart. Don't make it harder on yourself with all the second-guessing now. (I was stuck in a place like that for about 3 years after a beloved Golden died too young in pre-internet days when I didn't have enough info or a more competent vet.)  Jeff, you did the best you could for your pet rat in her  time of crisis. It's not your fault she died. It is tragic though and you and your family will miss her. She was lucky to have such a loving family.  I guess if choking is a common problem in rats, you could study up on what you could do differently if it happened again to another one, so you would feel more prepared and maybe like there was some redeeming value to the bad experience.   ((hugs))

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Tomorrow I'll be running the Country Music Marathon.  I've been trying to take this one low-key.  After last year's disaster in near 90º degree heat I'm thankful that I ever ran again, much less ran another marathon. 

Unfortunately, weather is once again conspiring against us: forecast is for severe weather in the early afternoon. By severe I mean lightning, hail, tornadoes, the works.  In response, the race director has announced a contingency plan: runners who are behind a 4:30 finish (10:20 pace) at 11 miles will not be allowed to finish the marathon course and will be directed to the half marathon finish (both races share the same course until the 11 mile mark).  Give you three guesses at my goal time (first two don't count). Yup, 4:30.  Thankfully I'm planning on running with a pace group so we should make the cut off.  Still, there will be plenty of stress as we try to make it.  And then there's still 15 miles to go after that.

As a friend pointed out, if we're the last people they let on to the marathon course then I have a realistic chance of finishing last.  It's good to have friends.

Jeff: sorry about your loss. You have to comfort yourself with the fact that any actions you took were made with love and the best of intentions. Small comfort, I know, but we don't get to turn back the clock and use the knowledge we now have.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Good luck tomorrow, Brian. Don't give too much thought to clothing - the wind will prolly whip it right off your body! Here's a wish: May the wind be at your back and aid you in achieving your pace goal to the 11-mile mark (and the finish too of course).  Maybe the weather system will be averted, and they'll lift that restriction anyway. Have alot of fun anyway. I'll be thinking of you when I'm on my own long run tomorrow morning. Look forward to your RR.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Russ/Brian - Good luck with your runs tomorrow.  It sounds like both of you are going to get wet.

Dutchie- Sounds like I need to do some hill training with you.

No running for me yet.  I'm still nursing a little bit of a stress fracture in my left foot from the marathon.  Just another side effect from not putting in the training I should have.

Dog-Love

Seems like a busy week for all of you...me I just have a cold so I have taken a bit of a break.  Tomorrow I am supposed to run 14 but I don't have anyone bossing over me.

Sorry about the rat.  I really love rats!!  I have had multiple rats in my life and think they are smart and affectionate.  Unlike mice.  I think my last rat was nicer to me than my current cat, Danger.  Not half as nice as Rusty is to me though...or my kids...well my daughter at least.  Sorry about your loss.

Good luck tomorrow Brian.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)