2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in for 01/05-1/11 (Read 389 times)

Gig

I got the heavy bag, plus a balancy thingy for core training, plus I'm making a gift certificate sorta thing for a personal trainer. I'm giving her four or five numbers and other info about different places that offer a free first session so that she can try out a few before settling on one. That makes me a good hubby, right?Big grin I try. While shopping yesterday, I had to go from Sears (didn't have what I wanted) to a sporting goods store across the street, but somehow I got lost crossing the street, so it took me 45 minutes to get there. Black eye As a result, I didn't get to run at all. I'll try to get seven in tonight.

Dog-Love

I got a great 5+ mile run in at a meeting in Boston but since then...nuthin. I am in Anacortes WA and it is blowing so hard that I stepped into a brewery to drink some Porter. Hmmmm were we supposed to be talking running here? When I get back to Juneau I will get back into my rut (Iove my running rut)
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

Dreaded going out for a run after work but it turned out to be one of the better runs I've had in a couple months. WInd gusts held off which helped. Managed ~6.3 at a nice pace. Breaking in some new shoes Santa brought me. Trying the Asics 2140 - which I like a lot so far. Also got a new pair of Mizunos that I think may have too much stability for me - feeling shin splint type discomfort after running in them.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Teresadfp

One day at a time

How do the 2140s compare to the 2130s? I gave up on those. Too stiff and clunky for me.
          Dutchie42

Yes Trey, what are the 2140's like. I've been running on 2130's for a year now. And my size doesn't seem available anymore. Did an UB endurance strength training yesterday and a 60min very slow and easy run today (8.5K). Guess what I've got set up for my Sunday run? I'm sure you'll never guess! A self defense training somewhere at the end of my run! I signed up with this guy (former bodyguard who's teaching people self defense in their own enviroment). As running is when I mostly feel unsafe, he'll do a specific training with me for a couple of weeks to teach me stuff when my legs are tired and I've run out of steam. Cause that's when I'm most vulnerable. Clever eh? We'll also do some indoor training cause he thinks because my legs are tired it won't be too difficult for someone to get me off balance and on the ground. Which means I need to learn how to fight when I'm on my back. I now have a picture in my head of a turtle upside down with his little legs moving frantically Big grin

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Teresa/Dutchie - the 2140's are my first pair of Asics in 8 years so I don't have a version comparison to offer. However, in comparison to the others I've run in: vs Mizuno Inspire 4: 2140's feel about as light, more cushion in the heal and a little more cushion in the forefoot. vs Saucony Progrid: 2140's feel less bulky, about same heel cushion, not as much flexible forefoot cushion, more toe box room which I really appreciate. Progrid has an inner heel post which I don't miss at all in the 2140's. vs New Balance 1223: except for weight (1223 heavier), there are some similarities here that may not be a good thing. vs Mizuno Nirvana: 2140 isn't as hard on my arches. Nirvana is more "stiff" - both feel about the same in terms of cushion and weight. 2140 thoughts: I can see why this is a popular shoe. However, less air flow through mesh than the Mizunos, I wish there was just a little more forefoot cushioning. Out of everything I've had so far, this could be my long distance shoe...if I had to settle on a marathon shoe tomorrow. My big question will be: How will they hold up over time? How will my shins, ankles, and knees (IT band) respond over time? MTA: Aaron has a pair of 2140's I think. Any input to add? MTA2: Red Vines and coffee make for interesting pre-run fuel.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I run for Fried Chicken!

Nope, no 2140's for me. I'm still on the 2130s which I like quite a bit. I'm thinking about picking up another pair while they are all on sale right now because the 2140s came out. Ran 4.5 miles easy yesterday with my sister. We're trying to run together at least once a week, it's an easy run for me but it's a good recovery run and we get a chance to spend some time together.
                Dutchie42

Great run today: 8.8K. It wa -7C. FREEZING! Never ran at such low temps before. Lake along the dike was frozen over. Beautiful! I stopped to take pics on my cell, but had to delete a couple first before there was room for a new one. Later, looking ahead, I noticed the behind of something very close to the path. At first I thought it was a dog. But I didn't see any owner. So I stopped and put Spooky on leash and on the gentle leader. Good thing I did cause I soon saw there were three deer munching along the path. As I got closer, trying to take a picture they noticed me cause Spooky was making these noises now that she saw them too. The deer then disappeared between the trees. Such a glorious day and such a great run. R-foot is holding up well sofar.

Dutchie

AnneCA

Happy weekend! Had a good trail run this morning, 10.2 or so, a bit of a honker on the hills. Not many ways to avoid that doing trail runs where I live. Beautiful day, though, if a bit windy. Dutchie, I love seeing wildlife on my runs. Lately it's always been flocks of wild turkeys. We have deer all over the place here, nuisance deer, really, but I seem to never see them on my runs. Your self defense class sounds very interesting, and I love that it's specific to the situation you're likely to be in. I look forward to hearing how it goes. Gig -- hope your wife enjoys her bday presents! Have I told you how much I like your comment about protein and iron in your profile? I've been veg for almost 20 years, and those are definitely the comments I get the most. I'll probably take tomorrow off. Part of me wants a nice slow run to get the kinks out from the hills this morning, but who am I kidding?

...---...

Had a great 9 miler this morning with a run buddy. The only real wildlife I saw was some people getting dropped off at their cars parked downtown from the night before. Oh, a fox darted out in front of me, crossing a path from wood side to wood side, this past week. That was pretty cool. After beer and pizza following the run, I'm about to do the sofa stretch. Hobbes is at the end, keeping my feet warm.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

This morning I had 30 minutes of self defense first out on the bike path where I start my run. It was funny cause I immediately went into TKD mode which the guy didn't want me to do. TKD is a formalised way of fighting, whereas if I should be attacked, rules don't apply. Which makes it a different form of fighting. Guess 10 years of TKD will stick with you for the rest of your life Big grin Anyways, afters I did my first "long" run on asphalt since my foot injury: 12.9K. I totally surprised myself cause I was faster than I thought I'd be. Despite to breaks to put Spooky on/off leash and a potty break. My cadence is up too: 75-85 instead of the 65-74 that I usually do. Guess TM running is good for me Big grin BTW, taking a potty break at -3C and an even colder wind chill is no fun! My foot did great. Anyone know why groups of runners are such asholes? We have these two-lane bikepaths here. And runners in groups prefer to run 3 or 4 abreast, taking up the whole bike path. So Spooky and I encounter this rather large group. Spooky is running somewhere on the right. A short "Spooky" and a wave of my left arm is enough to make her come over to my left side and run by my knee. The runners in front of me insist on staying 3 abreast. I glare at the runner who's coming straight at me. He's glaring back, looks at Spooky then apparently decides it's better to move aside a little. The runners behind him follow suit. Now why does it take a bit of "psychological warfare" before he moves aside. If often happens when they run in a groups. Gig: did your wife like her birtday present? I would. Anne: I usually see wildlife around sunrise. One of the reasons I enjoy early morning running. I'd love to go trail running. But we don't have trails around here. Pretty soon we won't have trees around here either, or wildlife. I've seen the building plans for the area where I run. Kind of upsetting. Crabby: when will you be back?

Dutchie

Dog-Love

Hi everyone Smile...I'm back. And with all those sick folks on planes I managed to get my first real cold in three years. Boston was great and then I got to spend 2 days on my 5 acres of property on Guemes Island (part of the Puget Sound) and it was so great. Well they had floods but someday when I retire I think I will move down south to the island. I ran 6+ miles on the island and felt great then. Came home to tons of snow. Our plane almost turned around to take us back to Ketchikan (home of the almost Bridge to nowhere). But we landed and I missed my family and I think I will take some time off from running, get well, let Gig get WAY ahead of me...and then start reeling him in! Its good to be home. No jobs to speak up here Trey and you being from the SOuthe might not like this weather. But the people are really awesome!
                          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

~ 5 miles, very easy, 3.5 of that with Hobbes. Sounds like a great a great trip Crabby. Welcome home.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Lots of treadmill time lately, for various reasons, mostly weather but also travel, and time. I complain about the dreadmill a lot but I must admit when there's no good alternative it's sure good to have the option! It's supposed to be cold for the next week so we'll see what happens. (Crabby, cold is relative!) Still planning on the Rock N Roll Phoenix Half on Sunday but DW has been really sick and if she's not able to do it the whole Arizona trip will be off.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

MrH

32.4 total for the week, following 30.1 last week. Big grin

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.