2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 26 July - 2 August (Read 336 times)

Dog-Love

Way better than the last novel I just read!  Great read on this Saturday morning in AK.  Really makes me want to train for a marathon again.  You made it seem really easy
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

Thanks Crabby - by the way, what marathons are out in Alaska during the summer? DW and I are thinking about a trip out that way.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Great RR Trey.  Thanks for taking the time to put it together.  I've been toying with trying a pace group and now I'll have to consider it more seriously.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks Crabby - by the way, what marathons are out in Alaska during the summer? DW and I are thinking about a trip out that way.

Hey, we're thinking the same thing, next Summer. Maybe we could have a 2000Km get-together. We'd like to do one of the Anchorage ones.

Nice report Trey, a very good read.

Crabby, that run was bad at the time but, you know the saying: "What does not kill you makes you stronger". I hope so!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Hey, we're thinking the same thing, next Summer. Maybe we could have a 2000Km get-together. We'd like to do one of the Anchorage ones.

Nice report Trey, a very good read.

Crabby, that run was bad at the time but, you know the saying: "What does not kill you makes you stronger". I hope so!

Well I would try to fit in whatever you 2000km folks planned.  Would be fun.

Today (1st weekend in August)is the Juneau marathon.  It is really small and this year I am positive was a great run for folks.  Probably 58 at the start and 65 at the finish and a beautiful week before hand.  There have been years where it is 40 degrees blowing and rain so it is a crapshoot.  It's pretty though and a salmon bake greets you at the end.  I have run the HM twice and was planning to run the whole thing next year. (Followed by the Baltimore crab medal marathon in October with gig...maybe?)

There is Humpy's in Anchorage (I am thinking June?)  I don't think it is as nice but probably more folks. Anchorage has a lot more cultural stuff to offer but Juneau is hands down...drop dead gorgeous for scenery.

Fairbanks hasa tough one (trails and hills) in September but it scares me so I have never thought about it.  There is a very small one (like 20 people) in Kodiak but you really have to want to go to Kodiak.

I hiked 8 miles today up to the top of Mt Roberts (Harder than running).  I need to get out and hike more.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

Great RR Trey.  Thanks for taking the time to put it together.  I've been toying with trying a pace group and now I'll have to consider it more seriously.

The cool thing about running with  pace group was I never had to worry about how I was doing, lap by lap, whether I was going too fast, or too slow. You just run, and chat, and enjoy the race. 

-

Juneau or Anchorage sounds good to us. DW is a K5 teacher so we'll have to do one that doesn't conflict with her starting the school year. August could be a tough one...but we'll see when the marathon dates and school dates are published. 

-

MTA: If you wanted to look at our "touristy" photos from the SF trip, here's the link: The SF photos go up until you get to "Tattered Fan. "

Trey's Photostream

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

16 mile group run.   Plan was to pick it up around mile 12 and actually did that at 11.  Very comfortable, but then I misjudged a hill at 13.5 and the next thing I know my heartrate was in the 170's.  Muscled it home, but it was definitely work. 

Comparing this 16 miler to my first one in the spring and the improvement is dramatic in some ways.  This run was slower, but the weather was hotter and this run was much hillier. In the spring I was taking walking breaks every mile or two and this run I stopped at the 3 water stops and that was it.  Felt better at the end then I did in the Spring.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Gig

I just got back from Karate Kamp yesterday. Very little running during the week. Three karate workouts per day, plus a team scavenger hunt, team training (on my team, each member got an individual workout with the team captain, too), weight training (which was more an opportunity to get away from the little kids for an hour--love them, but now 24/7). So I only managed two easy runs.

Today was the Dog Days 8K, which I ran in my VFFs. I wanted to build up my distance more gradually on them, but this race is mostly trails, so I seized the opportunity. My plan was to run it easy, but you know how that goes, right? I finished just 18 seconds slower than last year. (Probably 30 seconds after the official times are posted.) Regardless of the finishing time, the time running was a blast. Those things felt so good on the trails.

Trey, congrats on the great marathon. I've got your RR up ready to be read, which I'm really looking forward to. But for now, DD and her Barbies are calling.

Dog-Love

Just finished a nice and slow 10 miler (9.5  something actually).  I am starting to get back into the mode of being a runner again.  Am now headed off fishing...my second favorite thing to do.

...---...

7.2 miles this afternoon - rained on and off.

We're up for Alaska marathon next summer. We're already making a budget. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dog-Love

Hey you all...if AK is in your plans and it also happens to include Juneau, keep in touch and I may be able to help with lodging...not necessarily with me, but I may be able to help find something reasonable in the high season.

Imminent Catastrophe

8 miles with 5x1000 at 5k pace today. It's a lot easier and more comfortable than the first V02 max workout I did. I hope it helps my racing because I really hate these track workouts.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

Rest day today.

Russ - I hear you on the track work outs. 

Crabby - DW is liking the idea of Juneau next summer. That's a long way off, we'll see. I had initially though RNR Seattle in June would be a good one. Seattle, Chicago, New York, and Sedona are definitely on my list of the must do  marathons. 

Damn - so many marathons....I wish I could make a living traveling to run these things, photographing and writing about them. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12