2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 20 - 26 July (Read 430 times)

Dutchie42

New week started yesterday. Make it a good one peeps

Painting is coming along nicely. Back garden looks decent again. Think I can finish it this week. Then the front garden will get a big overhaul. Picking up on the running too. Still chasing the bunny.

How's everyone doing? Are you all running through Summer vacation?

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Easy 4 this morning - took me practically the entire run to loosen up. But loving the 65 degrees at run time this morning.

Okay, so here's my marathon bag check list (did I leave anything out?):

shirt + backup shirt

shorts + backup shorts

socks + backup socks

shoes + backup shoes

visor/hat

ID band

Garmin + HR strap + charger

band aids (water proof tough strips)

body glide

safety pins x 8

GU gels x 2 /3 (race will have 2 GU stations)

cytomax powder (pre-race)

endurox r4 powder (post race)

sports bottles x 2 (for the above)

energy bars

sweat top (pre race)

sweat bottom (pre race)

sandals/flip-flops (post race)

ibuprofen (post race)

towel

change of dry clothes

neosporin

*toilet paper*

night before race day items plus the above:

money for bus and or cab (to and from)

Bib on shirt

timing chip secured in laces

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Trey: your bag seems pretty complete. Don't you need to take those special blister band aid thingy's what-ye-me-calss-its?

Dutchie

Dog-Love

Trey

I don't see tattoo paint on your list...everything else though looks good.  Definitely comfy sandals

I have been working on a boat for 2 weeks so my running really is in the toilet and by now Trey is way ahead of me but I am motivated and running again.  I was entered to run a HM on Aug 2 but as you can see from my log and lack of input here....I have been slacking.  I ran 5-6 really easily the past two days and I may plan a 9-miler this weekend.

Should I run (not race) the HM?

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

Trey

I don't see tattoo paint on your list...everything else though looks good.  Definitely comfy sandals

I have been working on a boat for 2 weeks so my running really is in the toilet and by now Trey is way ahead of me but I am motivated and running again.  I was entered to run a HM on Aug 2 but as you can see from my log and lack of input here....I have been slacking.  I ran 5-6 really easily the past two days and I may plan a 9-miler this weekend.

Should I run (not race) the HM?

Crap - forgot the tattoo paint. I'll grab some when going through Haight-Ashbury.

I say go for it and run (training run) the HM...it's not like you don't have a decent base. 2 weeks off isn't that much. IMHO. Enjoy the day, and I'm not that far ahead. I'll be recovering/vacation all next week and doing very little running so you can gain ground on me 

Dutchie - I usually don't wear those anti-blister what-cha-ma-call-it's (can't remember th name either). Unless my feet get wet, I should be okay on blisters (maybe a couple small ones).

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Sunglasses? Late in the race you'll be looking into the sun.

I enjoyed the walk down to the start, it looked like a zombie movie

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

Sunglasses? Late in the race you'll be looking into the sun.

I enjoyed the walk down to the start, it looked like a zombie movie

Glad you commented in, I've been meaning to ask you what time I should make my way down to the start. My wave doesn't go off until 6:30 AM. I have been tentatively planning to be there before the time the start gun (5:30AM) goes off but that's a long time to stand around until I actually get to run. It'll be cool too. Thoughts?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Hard to say. When I ran it was a shotgun start. The only reason I'd get there real early is to park (not a factor for you) and get your turn in the portajohn line. I'd allow at least 45 minutes, since you have a sweatshirt you should be comfortable.

Good luck to you and Anne! (BTW where have you been Anne, haven't heard from you lately).

Oh yeah, add toilet paper to your list, in case the portajohns run out (yep, it's happened to me )

MTA: 12.2-mile medium/long run today. Feeling pretty good, endurance is definitely coming along.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

Oh yeah, add toilet paper to your list, in case the portajohns run out (yep, it's happened to me )

Check.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

AnneCA

Good luck to you and Anne! (BTW where have you been Anne, haven't heard from you lately).

Howdy!  I haven't been posting here (I'll be at 1243 next month, I think), but just came to check on Trey, and, look a message for me!  I'm doing good, trying not to get to amped and freaked about every little thing.  I assume after a couple marathons under the belt, one gets a little bit more calm?

When do you travel, Trey, and where are you staying?  If you're staying at the Hyatt or otherwise near the start, you've got a lot of flexibility on getting to the startline.   I'm leaving Oakland at 4:45, so I'll be at the start at around 5-5:10 (getting dropped off, so no parking issue), for my 6:06 wave start.  I'll probably get dropped at the Hyatt, and may hang out there and use their restrooms (ah, the Hyatt Embarcadero . . . so many conferences attended . . . I know where all their potties are :wink: and the secret back door exit onto the Embarcadero -- this is definite homecourt advantage time).  Then bag check.  I'm going to wear a throwaway longsleeve shirt over my race shirt, and will either ditch that before the start or at M1 or something.  What's the etiquette with shirt ditching, btw?  I've heard people say "they collect them and donate them."  Really?  If so, will there be designated ditch locations?  Or do I just . . . throw it on the ground off to the side near the start?  I have to say, I think it would be hard for me to do that.  It's littering. 

Sunglasses, yes, the rumor is that it will be sunny.  We're in a typical all-day summer fog thing now, but apparently the weekend is supposed to be nicer, and Russ is exactly right, you'll be running into it by the end of the race.  I'm going to home court it again here, though, and leave the sunglasses with DH, to potentially pick up when I see him in the park.  And if I miss him, eh, I run with a cap anyway.  

It'd be cool to meet-up Trey, so drop a line if you want to actually arrange a time.  Otherwise, if you see a gaggle of people in shirts with geese on them,  that's LMJS, the Lake Merritt Joggers & Striders, and I may be with them.   Always in a Cal cap (I'm sure it's on in my profile pic), and my race shirt is *bright* green sleeveless, like a chartreuse green, not a kelly green.  (unfortunately, I don't have an LMJS shirt!)

I checked, and Gordon Biersch (brewpub), which is a block from the finish line, opens at 11:30.    Hmmmm.......

Dutchie42

Anne&Trey: good luck to the both you for the race. You'll do great

12.85K easy run this morning. Smooth running again. Nice! High humidity, but the sun was hiding.

Dutchie

...---...

LOL Anne - DW and I would be delighted to meet up. We're flying out Friday morning and we'll be at the Marriott a block off Union Square on Sutter. I've studied the bus schedules and can catch the T-OWL from Market and 4th to Market and Steuart. If push came to shove, I'll grab a cab but the $2 bus option sounds like the way to go.

Gordon Biersch (brewpub) after the race sounds like a great plan. Let's do it. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I've always heard that you should ditch your throwaway shirt at an aid station, to make it easier for the volunteers. Have a great run, I wish I was there!

...---...

I've always heard that you should ditch your throwaway shirt at an aid station, to make it easier for the volunteers. Have a great run, I wish I was there!

It's still not too late - less than 100 spots remain Offer to buy you and DW an irish coffee or Anchor Steam still stands...

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Rain check! (Oops, I hope that's not bad luck)