2000Km-1243 mile club

July 2012 (Read 283 times)

18km road run this morning, no ankle pain during or after.  I think I am back.

Will have to test it on a trail next.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

I had a memorable 10K trail race today...my 4th trail race so far...every one completely different from the other. This one was very twisty-turny and primarily up or down, with little in between. Most of the grade was about 20%, with some around 25 to 30%. I power hiked a fair bit and there were some bits of downhill where I had to step sideways and sometimes hang on to something like a tree to make it down safely. I didn't get much of a warmup due to a conflicting need to use the PortaPotty Roll eyesThen the start was delayed for a news update on sale of the land, which further "cooled" me back down. So, once we started running, my breathing naturally got out of hand pretty quickly and I had a sideache for about the middle third of the race. The downhills were the hardest for me to breathe  in a regular controlled fashion. About halfway through my legs were pretty tired and I opted to fall back and get my breathing under control and just run comfortably.

It took me an hour and 11 minutes. I was quite pleased that they had taken extra effort to mark the course this time.  I probably ran a third of it without anyone around me and had not trouble following the route...whew! I came in 45th out of 80 finishers.

So...not the finish time I would have liked; but no mishaps and gained valuable trail racing experience.

I also got a pair of Smartwool PhD running socks in the raffle.Big grin

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Sounds like a nice run Happy.  And a good time for a trail 10km.  Funny, I have never really thought about my breathing, maybe I should :-)

6.5km trail run for me today.  Ankle came away good, but there were a couple of "hope this doesn't hurt" moments.  Some nasty steep uphills, following by some really nice sweeping downhills. Took my son out and he mountain biked for the first time on single track.  Little bit nervous at first but soon got the hang of it and would end up waiting at the bottom of the hill for me.

On leave for rest of week (school holidays), so planning to get out there again later in the week

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Great race report Happy.  Glad your injuries haven't thrown you off your game.  I'm always amazed at all of the running form stuff you are able to think about while you running.  All I can manage is left/right.  If I try to think any deeper than that I either trip or lose control of my pace.  I'm so proud of your steady mileage this year.

I've caught the trail bug a bit too.  As motivation to keep running through the hot summer, I signed up for a 15 week trail running program.  Basically, I'm paying $100 so that someone will make sure there is water when I need it.  Three weeks in and things are going well. Runs are about two hours and we'll top out at 4.5 hours. We run in Percy Warner Park, home of the infamous Flying Monkey Marathon and the trails are steeper than the roads that the Monkey runs on.  Beautiful country, great trails, only a couple of really technical sections.  And its extremely shady so even though we've been fighting the mid-100s like everyone else, these runs haven't been nearly as bad as running the roads would have been.

To top it off, after a great run Saturday, I registered for the StumpJump 50K.  Have I ever run a 50K? Nope.  A trail race? Nope.  A race with really steep hills (the race has 5000ft of elevation gain)? Nope.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Running Rev'd

Great race report Happy.  Glad your injuries haven't thrown you off your game.  I'm always amazed at all of the running form stuff you are able to think about while you running.  All I can manage is left/right.  If I try to think any deeper than that I either trip or lose control of my pace.  I'm so proud of your steady mileage this year.

I've caught the trail bug a bit too.  As motivation to keep running through the hot summer, I signed up for a 15 week trail running program.  Basically, I'm paying $100 so that someone will make sure there is water when I need it.  Three weeks in and things are going well. Runs are about two hours and we'll top out at 4.5 hours. We run in Percy Warner Park, home of the infamous Flying Monkey Marathon and the trails are steeper than the roads that the Monkey runs on.  Beautiful country, great trails, only a couple of really technical sections.  And its extremely shady so even though we've been fighting the mid-100s like everyone else, these runs haven't been nearly as bad as running the roads would have been.

To top it off, after a great run Saturday, I registered for the StumpJump 50K.  Have I ever run a 50K? Nope.  A trail race? Nope.  A race with really steep hills (the race has 5000ft of elevation gain)? Nope.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I didn't realize you were a fellow Nashvillian! I haven't done too many trails as of late, but I do like the trails in PWP for the shade during the summer. I took my husband on the white trail (2.5 mile loop) for our anniversary, and he had a good time.

I'm still streaking...hoping to get up to 50 days and then re-evaluate. I'm loving all the mileage I get in, but I'm also missing real rest days. Now that I'm starting MCM training, I'll probably need some rest so I don't get injured.

I raced a 5K on July 4th, but it was so hot and humid that I blew up in a major way. It was my slowest 5K since before I did C25K almost two years ago. I'm hoping to hit the track for some speedwork and do a little bit better the next go-round.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

Imminent Catastrophe

I ran a beautiful marathon in Vermont Sunday--the Mad Marathon near Sugarbush, VT. Wow, what a beautiful setting and WOW, THE HILLS! Yikes, it was really hilly. I ran really easy the first half then ramped it up, especially the last 10k. 2:07/1:52 split! This was a hill training run for Tahoe in 2 weeks, and a good one!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I didn't realize you were a fellow Nashvillian!

I figure that if there was ever a map with pins for each RA user there would be a huge cluster around Nashville. Seems like every time I turn around on here I bump into somebody else from middle Tennessee.

HappyFeat

Sounds like a nice run Happy.  And a good time for a trail 10km.  Funny, I have never really thought about my breathing, maybe I should :-)

6.5km trail run for me today.  Ankle came away good, but there were a couple of "hope this doesn't hurt" moments.  Some nasty steep uphills, following by some really nice sweeping downhills. Took my son out and he mountain biked for the first time on single track.  Little bit nervous at first but soon got the hang of it and would end up waiting at the bottom of the hill for me.

On leave for rest of week (school holidays), so planning to get out there again later in the week

I'm glad your ankle did well on the trail run - whew! Did you have any swelling that night?  It sounds like your son had fun on his new adventure into mountain biking. What a good dad you are.

About the breathing thing - It came up for me because in a race situation this past year, I felt like my legs had plenty of "go" but I was attacked by a side ache.  In training runs, I'd try to go faster than usual and feel I couldn't get enough air. The side ache in races became a recurring theme.  So I found out that one solution was to do a warmup jog of about a mile or so at a slow pace to get my body primed so to speak, before trying to run with any kind of speed.  This works well for the road. Another piece of the puzzle was to breathe as deeply as possible at a regular rate as compared to rapid short breaths. I've found this is pretty much impossible on a challenging downhill trail. The final piece of the puzzle is posture (so typical for me - doesn't it always come down to posture?). Chin up, head level, chest out, shoulders down - give the lungs room to expand. I notice a dramatic difference when I'm  running not doing this, feeling the limitation, adjust my posture and wow the running is so much easier.  I found yesterday that this is not such an easy technique to work on in a trail race.

HappyFeat

I ran a beautiful marathon in Vermont Sunday--the Mad Marathon near Sugarbush, VT. Wow, what a beautiful setting and WOW, THE HILLS! Yikes, it was really hilly. I ran really easy the first half then ramped it up, especially the last 10k. 2:07/1:52 split! This was a hill training run for Tahoe in 2 weeks, and a good one!

Congratulations on a splendid marathon, PerfesserR. Why did they name it "Mad" Marathon. Is that mad as in the Mad Hatter?  Are you excited thinking about your 50-miler? Do you feel prepared? Wonder what the weather will be? Will your DW be there? And what does your new avatar mean?

HappyFeat

Aww thanks Brian. Your comments mean a lot to me.Smile   They really do.

You probably have naturally perfect running form anyway and don't need to think about it.

I, on the other hand, was never athletic or particularly coordinated as a child. I took up running and yoga as a young adult  because I enjoyed them and they didn't require any prerequisite skillsJoking.  As I get older, I find more adjustments are needed if I want to accomplish my goals.  And really it's only now that I have running goals. I never did when I was younger. I ran races that I couldn't tell you their names or my times. Everything was for fun then. I never kept a running log for the first 10 years or so. Now I love logging the miles and trying to improve.

Your trail running program sounds wonderful! I'm so jealous! 

The StumpJump! What a great name! Sounds like a survival race if there ever was one. When is it?

Imminent Catastrophe

Phibes, I haven't done Stump Jump but it's known as a tough but fun race. Good luck! 

Happy, the race is held in the Mad River Valley. I'm really excited about Tahoe, it's supposed to be beautiful, but the altitude will definitely be a factor. Weather should be nice, 50s-70s. And my avatar is from Rio Del Lago, a race I just signed up for.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Happiness is ordering a couple pairs of running shoes for half price!

HappyFeat

Happiness is also having TWO people who want to go trail running next weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday!

Up in Chicago visiting my older son and got in 12 along the Lake this morning.  It was supposed to be 10, but I got lost (again).  I missed the bridge to get across Lakeshore Dr. and kept going thinking, it must be just ahead.  A mile later there was a tunnel and I was able to cross and start heading back. No, I did not consider turning around and retracing my steps as that would have meant admitting I didn't know what I was doing.

There were huge groups of people out doing training for the Chicago 1/2 Marathon.  Fleet Feet had "hydration stations" set up that were bigger than most races I've run. Fun to be out in that kind of a crowd.

Running Rev'd

Fun! I'm actually in Milwaukee for a cousin's wedding and did 10, also along the lakefront. My mom and I hit up the Badgerland Striders training run, and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. It was nice to run a flat course in cooler weather for a change. 

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."