2000Km-1243 mile club

2000km (Read 519 times)

HappyFeat

Way to go Happy!  I think I'm going to try the "run around getting my bib" strategy before my next race.

Yeah, it's quite effective!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey, age group winner! CoolCoolCool

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy - What a great run!  10 minute improvement from last year, impressive.  The power of the glutes.

HappyFeat

Thanks everyone! I couldn't have done it without you!

I'm glad to have improved my time over last year so much because it proves I'm succeeding at my goal of getting back to where I used to be - and better than that.

Last year, I'd just gotten over the bursitis problem, and got the muscle cramp in mile 9 which limited me.

In 2005, my HM times were 2:10 and 2:12 after rehabbing from getting bucked off a horse and hurting my back.

In 2000 and before that (1989), I ran 2:06.

You can see I don't race very often.

Anyway, I think I'm on a roll now. I plan on continuing to work my same training plan and aim for a 2 hour HM someday.

I love the happy ending of your story. MTA: thus far... With your dedication i see a 2 hour time in your future

Recalculating...

Rest day today (needed it - I'm a bit tired from weekend with friends and a taxing work week) easy tomorrow and my last "long run" 13-14 miles this Saturday (2 weeks out). I'm shuffling the last runs around work and out of town guest schedule. I was thinking of 6- 8 miles at HM pace about 10 days before the race and then easy all the way to the day... Thoughts?

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Ayola,  As it turned out, that's exactly how my last two weeks before HM went. So I don't see anything wrong with your plan. I would say to run that last LR slow; don't try for any speed with it.

My race recovery is progressing nicely. I didn't run the first two days of this week...well couldn't run is more like it....walking was fine, but my legs cramped up if I tried to make them work any harder than that. Last night, I ran a slow 3-miler though and it went fine. I'm going to do the same tonight...as soon as I unglue myself from the 'puter!

Imminent Catastrophe

SInce I ramped up my mileage for the last 2 weeks I'm taking it easy to be safe. Or that's my story, anyway.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Soaked to the bone in one mile, ran 3. I'll try again for the long run tomorrow...

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

SInce I ramped up my mileage for the last 2 weeks I'm taking it easy to be safe. Or that's my story, anyway.

A 10-miler is "taking it easy"..??Roll eyes How did that go?

HappyFeat

Soaked to the bone in one mile, ran 3. I'll try again for the long run tomorrow...

I hope the weather is better for you tomorrow, Ayola. I think it was a good call to postpone it for a better day - you want it to be a confidence builder for you. Hope it goes really well.

I'm planning on running 6 today. Wed/Thurs I ran 3-milers. Last night I increased to 4. Easing back into the routine.

Imminent Catastrophe

A 10-miler is "taking it easy"..??Roll eyes How did that go?

It went well. I meant that my weekly mileage would be a cutback week. I seem to do a lot better running 3-5 days per week, those rest days really help.

Still pouring... I guess this is remnant of hurricane N or O? Looks like a early Monday morning long run, possibly on the treadmill. I hope race day isn't like this...

Recalculating...

Finally got 'er done Monday morning (13 miles). It was rainy but more like romantic "Singin in the Rain" rainy. And hot around 20*C at dawn. Once again ran the first 10 too fast and was pretty slow and walking in the last three. Hmmm. Getting worried.

Hopefully the last tempo run will go better - it supposed nice and chilly 3*C on Thursday or Friday morning.

Happy Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Once again ran the first 10 too fast and was pretty slow and walking in the last three. Hmmm. 

This is an important one - guess we all have to learn it the hard way to prove it to ourselves. I've done that so many times it seems I'm preprogrammed for it. So I've taken to talking to myself for the first mile and a half or so about keeping it slow, what pace, and why.  It makes a huge difference in those last miles; but I'm still finding it a hard habit to form.