2000Km-1243 mile club

March Check-in (Read 373 times)

Dutchie42

Perfesser: maybe it depends on what you're used to. I'm used to flat terrain, with a light sprinkling of bridges or dikes. Hills will kill me. Congrats on the 50K. I'm lucky if I finish my marathon in 5h20.

Heffa: even if you used it as a training run, it's still very fast running in my book Smile

Happy: my stomach is a lot better, but it's not gone yet. I wish I knew what it was I ate that upset my stomach. Maybe it was an additive? Or herb?

Did a 30.44 kilometer long run this morning, that is I first did 7K with Spikey and Spooky, dropped Spike of at home then finished the run with Spooky only. Absolutely gorgeous morning to be out there for that long: sunny, bit of a breeze, really nice. Except for the pothole.... I was running backwards to keep an eye on Spike who stayed behind a little for some much needed sniffing and ofcourse never saw the pothole, twisted my whole R-leg. Most wasn't so bad, the ankle and hip pain disappeared pretty quickly, but my knee just got worse and worse. Ofcourse, I just had (!) to finish my long run... yeah sure. I'm icing it now and resting it. The long run felt much better than last weeks 20K. So that's a good thing, right?

Anyways, missed that beautiful full moon, clouds were in the way when I got up. Did see it last night though, before bed. You should go see if you haven't already.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Great day Brian! The weather has perked up here too, never more than 35*F but that's almost shorts weather in Canada. Thanks Happy - I hope the "conditioning" works. Right now it's saving us a few dollars cause I'm too tired to go out on a Saturday night. I've also put WT on hold until June - just doing basic crunches, push ups etc.... Until later

Recalculating...

Dutchie?MTA - oh there you are...

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Ayola: I like the avatar. Do you play the piano? Or are you into jazz or something?

Yes I'm still here. Last couple of weeks/months it's been really hard to get on the internet after dinner. I used to go online in the early morning before my run. I liked that with a coffee. But I stay online for too long and then have to shorten my run or I skip it. Maybe I should limit my early morning access to just that one coffee?

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

I'm taking it easy this week, in between two long ones. It's kind of a nice break. 

Here's my somewhat longish Race Report from Old Pueblo 50. I hope it's useful.

Nice RR Russ.  Way to tough it out!

6 miles today - cold again -7*C. Yes I'm a jazz fan. I used to have a radio show (community radio) but now Im just doing some volunteering for the local summer jazz festival. Haven't played piano since I was a teen... All of my avatars are jazz related.

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

6 miles for me too. Slow, but not "easy." Not terrible though - I had Shakira and P!nk for companyBig grin

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I had fun at the Shamrock Half today.  It started out a little cold (42F) but was about perfect at the finish (50F).  I ran well and my new fueling plan worked great.  I think I could have PR'd if I pushed it but managed to stay on task and use it as a practice not a race.  I still finished in a respectable 1:30:44!

Nice run....I wish I could keep a practice run as a practice, still too easy for me to get competitive around other runners Big grin

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Seems to be some nice runs happening lately as you guys from up north get off the treadmills and hit the outside.

In NZ it is starting to cool down some and the runs are getting more comfortable.

Last weekend I headed out for a 26km run, in my slow shoes, felt really good, so ended up doing 27.5km. Does anyone else have slow shoes?  For some reason My Mizuno Nirvanas are about 10 to 15 seconds per km slower than my Nike Zoom Triax.

Hoping to go out and do 30km tomorrow, sounds like it may be raining so may not be pleasant.  But at least it will not be hot.

Dutchie, hows the marathon prep going. Knee any better?

NZRun, are you doing the  Moonshine half in mid April? Looks like fun, I may have to do it one year.

Perfesser, great race report, loved the photos.  We just had the Tarawera Ultra last week.  I'm thinking about maybe doing the 60km next year. Maybe.

Ayola, -7 deg C!!!, far too cold

Happy, looks like your mileage is building up, got any events planned?

Heffa, so what did you have to do to start adopting a fore foot running technique.  Been trying it myself, but struggle to maintain it for any sort of duration

Happy running weekend all

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Loves the outdoors

I'm enjoying the cooler weather. Wellington has even had several still days, so I've been loving both directions of the run, rather than just the down wind half.

Pukekura - I think Mandy might be, but I doubt I'll get the chance for the moonshine half. My husband is almost constantly overseas at the moment, so getting someone to look after the kids early in the morning is a bit challenging. I was keen to run the Mt Lowry challenge on Sunday, but again 7:30am seems an impossible babysitting ask. I will run the Harbour Capital half in June though! He'll need to work around that date.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

STILL cold -4*C with a light snow, at least its pretty... a couple of short runs this week,  recouperating  after trying out some 5K pace on the treadmill on Tuesday. That tightened the calves for days, but I'm thinking about a 5K race in early April - speed is not really my forte... Tomorrow first 13.1 (training run) of the year. I'm excited!

Good morning? New Zealand,  A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Does anyone else have slow shoes?  For some reason My Mizuno Nirvanas are about 10 to 15 seconds per km slower than my Nike Zoom Triax.

All of mine are slow! Where can I get some fast ones?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Heffa, so what did you have to do to start adopting a fore foot running technique.  Been trying it myself, but struggle to maintain it for any sort of duration 

I started playing around with barefoot running about a year ago and I have slowly tried to incorporate the barefoot style (forefoot/midfoot) into my shod running.  It's not easy to do but I'm having limited success.

I had an awesome interval workout yesterday.  I did 5 x 1K with all of my intervals under a 6:00/mile!  By far my best interval workout to date.  I must have been using my fast shoes Smile.

Imminent Catastrophe

6 miles for me too. Slow, but not "easy." Not terrible though - I had Shakira and P!nk for companyBig grin

I'm not really a fan of Pink but I heard her live version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" that was awesome!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

I'm not really a fan of Pink but I heard her live version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" that was awesome!

MMMM GOOD! just watched it on YouTube....I could and have spent hours watching her music videos.

But we were talking about running, weren't we? 

So, yes, Pukekura (what does your name mean anyway, if you don't mind my asking?) my mileage is building up. I want to get consistent with 30 mpw and then I want to work up to 35 mpw because I feel this is the way to get more fit for running longer and faster - along with some speed workouts too of course.Then I basically want to keep it there year-round.

I do have a couple events planned - repeats of last year - but am now fearing I won't be as fast (relative term), when I've working at being faster! I still have 2 months before the first one a 12K on May 22, so we'll see. The other is a HM in September and I really want to reach 10 mpm for that.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.