2000Km-1243 mile club

May Days (Read 435 times)

Great job PerfesserR, sounds like it was a good race for you.

I got in 2.7 miles yesterday and 3.5 miles today, hoping to get my mileage back up this coming week.

HappyFeat

So drphibes did it bother you to list the CMM as a "race" when you were a pacer and had to suffer such a slow pace?

(Yes, I'm an admitted log stalker. I like to see what other people are running.)

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Well, I finished in 14:11 or so. Not quite the 14:00 I was hoping for but a decent time and I did beat the sunset which was my secondary goal (I didn't want to use my headlamp). It's a very hilly but spectacular course on a beautiful day. Many long, punishing downhills after mile 48 just murdered my legs. Thanks for the good vibes everyone!

One word......WOW

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

+1

I'm so impressed and amazed...

Good 12 miler yesterday, easy pace uphill for the first half, faster downhill second half - some miles under 11m/m (which is great for me) without getting overly fatigued. I also ran 4.5 at HM pace in the middle of the week. I'm planning 2x 4 miles at HM pace this week as my last hard workout before the race. A good 30 mile run week despite endless rain.

Happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

So drphibes did it bother you to list the CMM as a "race" when you were a pacer and had to suffer such a slow pace?

(Yes, I'm an admitted log stalker. I like to see what other people are running.)

Yes it did, a bit. Not so much because of the pace, but because I didn't "race".  Sidebar: at almost all races I'm amazed by the number of people who are obviously nowhere near their limits, yet are taking it easy heading to the finish.  If I pay $100+ to enter a race, I'm going to race.

I just noticed that the other half-marathon I paced I put it down as a long run.  I guess I should switch one or the other to be consistent.

My official time was exactly 2:45:00 and several people have asked how I hit it exactly.  Answer: I cheated.  Here's a video tutorial on how you too can add seconds to your time (I'm the goob in the too-tight orange singlet on the left side of the line)

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event_video.asp?EVENTID=75416&BIB=27576&VLOC=HALFFINISH

(no, the pictures are not me, I had to look at someone else's video to get footage from before I crossed the line)  
            If you watch the 30-second video keep your eyes open for 

• the man with the megaphone who comes out and stands in the middle of the finish line
            • the man who crosses the finish line and then turns around and goes back 
            • the two women who stop just before the line to take each other's picture

A lot of action in just 30 seconds.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Things you don't want to see after 55 miles:

Stairs!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Stairs!

Agreed!

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Stairs!

ohh - wow! got any more photos?

Hey! I did my first run (in a verrry long time) with an avg pace UNDER 10 mpm tonight. 6 miles, with the first three a little over and the second three a little below. Yippee! My plan is working! That and the extra coffee I had todayBig grin

Got in 5+ miles tonight and started P90x.  Trying to figure out how I'm going top work it into my running while still trying to maintain mileage.

HappyFeat

Nice run for you today NJPhilSmile Good luck with your P90X plan.

I did a 3-mile Recovery Run tonight and it was really nice out.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy-coffee cures most anything. That, and duct tape, can solve most of the world's problems.

I did my first run since Miwok and thought my legs had recovered surprisingly quickly and felt good, but after an easy 4 miles on the treadmill today they feel really fatigued. Funny how they felt so good, then tired quickly, I think it's a sign that I really need to rest, even if I feel good.

Fortunately Mary Ann and I are heading to Peru to see Machu Picchu, a trip we've wanted to do for years. That will be a forced layoff from training for a week, although I still hope to do a couple of easy runs in Cusco. It's at 11,000 feet elevation so should be a good workout no matter how slowly I run!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Russ, your vacation to Peru will be a well timed rest period...take it! Your body deserves the rest and a big thank-you for the work it's accomplished.

Had a good 8-miler tonight, but my legs are aching now. As I ran, I had all kinds of crazy ideas of increasing my MPW because I've been reading too many running magazines. I'm feeling more sensible now. I'll continue to work my plan, stay at 30-35 MPW, and work on getting my speed up.

Very jealous of your vacation PrefesserR, Machu Picchu is definetly on my to-do list.  Have a well deserved rest.

Had a nice run of 4+ miles last night.  I also foolishly signed up for a trail run starting at midnight on Father's Day, hoping to do the 50k.  Better get my mileage back up over the next 5 weeks.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, we're looking forward to it. NJPhil--I wore a NJ Ultra Festival shirt at the race and everyone kept asking me where I was from in New Jersey Smile

Next time I'll wear a GUTS (Georgia Ultrarunning and Trailrunning Society) shirt to avoid confusion.

MTA: I just found out there's a Museum of Chocolate in Cusco. Oh yeah.

Imminent Catastrophe

ohh - wow! got any more photos?

A few more here