2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check-in 20-26 April (Read 304 times)

HappyFeat

BTW I think the fact that I hadn't eaten since last night and took no carbs during the run might explain my meltdown at mile 15 today! Tongue
    ya think?Shocked Hon' ya gotta put fuel in the car to get ANYwhere! Lesson learned, I hopeSmile

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

...---...

Hey there peeps - just wanted to drop in and say hello. I did start some easy running this week. I did a 15 min test jog Tuesday and a 5K jog on Thursday. I've been going to PT twice a week and things seem to be improving. I'm far from being out of the woods but last night's run was the most encouraged I've been in over 2 months. Tuesday's test jog produced discomfort (wont call it pain) and yesterday's 5K felt like I was about 80% of the way there. I'm having some issues today as a result but my PT has really helped me focus in on the stretching and exercises that impact a more effective recovery. I still have that nagging pain in the upper thigh when I run and now, only sometimes along the inner thigh. But like I said, it's WAY better than it was. I'm sure rest really helped. So hopefully, I'll be able to get out Saturday for another run and, with any luck, I'll have regular log entries again. I have really missed running, and this group. Cheers and TGIF!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

sounds good Trey, welcome back! Keep us posted.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AnneCA

Sounds like great progress, Trey -- hope it continues. Russ, you're really kicking up the miles! Six this morning, really realizing how much my definition of "easy" has changed. Progress! BTW, I'm over 500 now . . . hope no one minds me still hanging around here! That 1500 group isn't very chatty. Shy
            I need to vent, hope you guys don't mind. I am just about at the end of my rope. My wife has been complaining about the amount of time I spend running. If you look at my log you will see that even though I put in a decent amount of miles I try very hard to limit my running to 3 times a week. Of course my wife goes to her fitness classes 3 times a week but that is while I'm at work so evidently that doesn't count as taking away from "family time". But if I want to run after work and therefore miss family dinner than that is a problem for her. I am considering giving up running. I can't imagine living any kind of a happy life without it though. In the big scheme of life when you define yourself my list goes something like this - Father, Husband, Runner, everything else... I can't imagine living the rest of my life without saying that I am a runner, and to me if I'm only running one time a week on the weekend it's just not worth doing to me. The only other resolution I can think of is to redefine who I am....Father, Runner, ex-husband.
            AnneCA

Jeff, that's hard. I assume you've looked at all other options that would give you running time without cutting into family dinner? Early-early morning, lunchtime, 4 pm, 8 pm . . . . I do most of my running at 6 am, or earlier, because it is the most family- and work-friendly time for me. I've got six miles in before any of them were even out of bed this morning. And I never, ever, thought I would become a morning exerciser, but the schedule is, truly, its own reward. I also do a lunchtime run at work once a week or so, and start my weekend runs usually at more sensible hours, like 6:30 or 7:00 am. Wink
              anneb

Sorry to hear about this, Jeff. I will second what Anne has said about the early morning schedule, if it's possible for you. There is no way I could be as consistent with my running if I had not made the switch to mornings (I think it's going on about 2 years now - and I was never a morning person before.) DH still thinks that I spend too much time running, when he actually doesn't even know how much time it really is, since most of it happens before he is even out of bed. Does she know how important running is to you? It seems like, if she did, you guys could work out some kind of compromise in your schedule. Sorry, I don't have much else to offer, just sympathy I guess.

Anne

Unfortunately I have tried to work this out over the last several years and it does not appear we can reach a compromise. I'm only getting 6 to 6.5 hours of sleep a night as it is so early morning running would be difficult at best. I would have to go to bed before my son to still get 6 hours and that would be even worse because we would then lose our 1 hour of adult time before bed. Running during work is also not allowed. I'm getting more agitated because it has been 5 days of not running and the wife seems happy as can be.
                    A slow 26.2. 5:38:28 Just couldn't handle the temps in the upper 80's. After 12 or so I elected to take it easy and live to run another day.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

drphibes-- Sounds like it was an absolutely brutal hot day out there, just be glad you got out of there without an IV in your arm. I'm in L.A. for a 7-day cruise (25th anniversiary!). I'll try to keep up some mileage this week, I think the boat has a track. Or treadmill Dead. I just hope we don't have problems with Swine Flu, Narcotraficantes or Pirates! Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Trey: good to hear you're on the mend. Be careful though! Perfesser: congrats on the anniversary. My goodness, 25 years! drphibes: congrats on finishing the marathon! Be proud you did it! How many people you know in real life have? It's a really big accomplishment! Jeff: being single has it's perks, like running whenever you want to Big grin That's not very helpful is it? If you were a runner when the two of you met, then she knew what she was getting herself in to. If you became a runner after you met, she must have noticed that it does you a world of good, both physically and mentally. Giving it up completely won't do your marriage any good, cause in a small way you'll hold it against her somewhere in the back of your mind. Guess you guys have to sit down and discuss this reasonably and try to keep your emotions out of it. Try arguing the other side. She should argue why you should continue running, and you should argue her point of view. Sometimes that helps understanding eachother. But only if you both are really trying..Don't know how else to help since I don't know you guys. Me: Watched the London Marathon first. Then went out for my long run; an out&back course. Was running with music for the first time since my marathon last year. Left ear was hearing the birdies (and traffic), the right ear was hearing the music. Running on the TM with music has apparently trained my feet to follow the beat, even if I'm not focusing. Managed out in 1:06:14 and back in 1:05:26, incl a walk break to put Spooky on leash and have a sip. Avg pace: 6:47. I kind a surprised myself there. Wasn't expecting it. Even managed to sprint up the bridge in the end. Guess the half marathon in June will be a piece of cake Wink.

Dutchie
                        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dog-Love

Well end of a great week of running. Ran a race with my 13 year old and her friend yesterday through the mud across a channel at low tide. Fun 4 miles only took a bit over an hour. You know when your daughter is doing summersaults through the wetlands the time is not going to be stellar. Hmmm spouse and running issues...been there. Am still there. Running is what I need to do to stay sane and my husband knows that about me by now. Good luck Jeff. Being single is alluring but the grass always seems greener
                          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)