2000Km-1243 mile club

March 2012 (Read 380 times)

HappyFeat

It's soooo fun to be able to look them up as they're running it!!  What a special day for our pace bunny group when two of our virtual running buddies can actually run such a challenging extraordinary event together.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

What a day. Brian and I ran together for quite a while and had a nice chat. Pictures to follow.

As for me, that was undoubtedly the hardest thing I've ever done, sports-wise. My goal was 14:00 (PR 14:12) and I managed a 12:48 today on a comparable course. I hand't even considered going under 13. The pain, the pain! OMG that was painful but that's a 1:24 PR and a Western States Qualifier! Yay!

Jeff, have a good one tomorrow!

MTA: The RA log needs an "11" for effort.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

What a day. Brian and I ran together for quite a while and had a nice chat. Pictures to follow.

As for me, that was undoubtedly the hardest thing I've ever done, sports-wise. My goal was 14:00 (PR 14:12) and I managed a 12:48 today on a comparable course. I hand't even considered going under 13. The pain, the pain! OMG that was painful but that's a 1:24 PR and a Western States Qualifier! Yay!

Jeff, have a good one tomorrow!

MTA: The RA log needs an "11" for effort.

WOW! Thinking of you guys as I run my long run (about 1/6th of your race Perfesser) Congratulations - I'm really enjoying this saga. 

A

Recalculating...

Great performances for both Russ and Brian!  Both of you finished with a very strong leg and looks like some really good pacing all around.  Fantastic performance guys.

HappyFeat

They did it!!   Congratulations to Brian and Russ.  I'm in awe of your achievements. Looks like consistently strong pacing throughout. Look forward to hearing your experiences about the event - and seeing pics.

Russ -  what hurt(s) the most? That's a huge PR gain - congrats on the WS qualifying time! You are  tough!

MTA: Thanks for posting an update so soon after finishing.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, it's mostly my quads, lots of downhills. Also the small of my back from chafing where my fanny/bottle pack rubbed. 

I did get to sample vegemite at an aid station. I thought it was PBJ but tasted, well, not good.

DW today asked if we should see Tarawera Falls, a spectacular waterfall that I passed yesterday at km 60 of the race and I replied no, it's kind of a long drive. Then I realized what I'd said! Cool

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

I have a RR of my own - did the inaugural St Paddy's Day 10K - same route as the Rain Deer Run. I'm happy with my result which overall was the same as the December race: 57 minutes.  Given that my 3 runs this week have been slower than normal, I was not expecting to do so well. I got 1st of 3 (total) in my age group.

It's been cold and rainy here all week; but we were in luck for the race and the rain stopped for about 3 hours midday and the sun peeked out while we had hot chocolate and cookies afterwards  A friend did the 5K and her hubby took some photos. So I'll post one if she sends me anything decent.

We both wore the shamrock tiaras (which stayed put very nicely) and I made us arm warmers with shamrock design that matched the crowns. That is the first time I've worn any sort of unusual attire for a race and it was kind of fun.

MTA to make pic bigger

Dog-Love

Well I am awed by you all!!!  Nice job Russ and Brian.  AND Happy!!!  With that amount of mileage, you are all going to move to the 3000 mile group.  Very impressive

I ran a small Flannagan's Run this morning over very steep snowy trails.  Just 4.8 miles and everything felt just great!  As always, I am lurking and not posting because I have not been a very focused runner.  Keep trying though.  10K in 2 weeks and I would like to be able to finish it feeling good.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  HappyFeat

Hi CrabbyBig grin. Glad you're still with us. Your Flannagan's Run sounds like it was a fun adventure. Good luck with your 10K. Looking at your log, you 're very active with skiing, hiking, AND running. Very well rounded and hopefully lots of fun.

Even if I leave the bunny in the dust before the end of the year, I'm staying because I feel like I'm among friends and I enjoy participating in this group.  I encourage any other lurkers to post and see for yourself.

Imminent Catastrophe

Hi CrabbyBig grin. Glad you're still with us. Your Flannagan's Run sounds like it was a fun adventure. Good luck with your 10K. Looking at your log, you 're very active with skiing, hiking, AND running. Very well rounded and hopefully lots of fun.

Even if I leave the bunny in the dust before the end of the year, I'm staying because I feel like I'm among friends and I enjoy participating in this group.  I encourage any other lurkers to post and see for yourself.

+1

Imminent Catastrophe

HappyFeat

Love the photo! You both look so fresh it must be near the start? I still think it's fantastic that you two "pen pal" running buddies from half a world away got to meet up and run together.

Just want to add a late night "Good Luck"  to Jeff who certainly is already asleep in preparation for his marathon tomorrow. Wishing you strong legs and fleet feet!

What an awesome run.  Great to catch up with Russ.  Missed him at rego, missed him at the start.  Only found him as we were heading up the first large hill, and that was nothing short of surreal...2 people out of 370 odd and we only found each other because I was introducing myself to the two runners right behind him Smile

As for the race...I had set myself the goal of about 13 hours for the 85km and came in at 12:00. Way better than anything I had expected. Bit of a discrepancy between the race clock and the official timing so I sprinted the last 100m to cross the line in 11:59:58, only to discover today that the official timing says 12:00:14. So 12 hours it is Smile

It was great that you guys could all follow us from the other side of the world.

As Russ has already said, it was brutal, not necessarily the hills, they were manageable.  But the rough tracks on leg three were an absolute killer...one lady broke her ankle 3km in, took them over an hour to get her out.  Great time for you on that leg Russ. I think I spent too long looking at the scenery.  That part that follows the river to the Falls aid station was fantastic....apart from those stairs...WHY!!

And just when you think the worst is over they throw in a long hill climb at the 61km mark....aaargh.  But it was only a hill, so I got over it.  Picked up my pacer at the 70km mark and after 5km chewing the fat, he started to push me and we started passing people and my legs actually started to feel better. Kept on speeding up and finished before dark.  Had my beer, then just about threw up.

Spent today sightseeing, including climbing a whole bunch of stairs.  DW idea of a sick joke I think.

Quads a bit wrecked, calves great, knees sore,and no blisters (surprising given all the water we had to go through).

Will post some photos of the run soon.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

That lady broke her ankle? I had been playing tag with her for quite a while, then saw her just past the Okataina stop (km 39) sitting by the trail with two other runners tending to her, looking at her ankle, they assured me they didn't need any help. She seemed to be a very experienced runner, it must have been devastating for her.

I took a couple of spills there in that nasty section, and a guy running ahead of me tripped and almost tumbled down the hill 30 feet into the lake. Barely caught himself. Good times!

Today was recovery day, did a hot mineral bath soak (this is a geothermal area) and a massage, which helped but my quads are just wrecked.

Some photos from yesterday

Tarawera Ultra 2012

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff