2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 7-13 June (Read 530 times)

Dutchie42

Gooood Morning everyone,

It's a brand new week

Did a LB and UB endurance strength training w/o incl. abs. Totally felt like I had no energy. It was one big struggle. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day

Have a great day and a most excellent run. Or XT w/o, like I did.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Happy Monday all. Had a busy week but managed to get in a few quality runs. My boss was in town last Friday and so I "had" to play golf...it was not pretty. I haven't played in over a year. I took the experience as cross training for my core. I'm still having some lower back tightness (pain) which limits my distance. But in this heat, I'm not complaining. Since SF is off the table, I can regroup and ramp up mileage at a more manageable rate. I'm embarrassed to admit that, after golf, I'm sore along my sides above the hip (obliques). I hate crunches and sit ups but looks like I better work that in...unless some of you have a more enjoyable alternative? I do have a gym membership so please offer suggestions.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Well crap. I saw the doc today and it's a metatarsal stress fracture or strained tendon. Either way I'll have to wear the boot for 3 weeks and see how it goes from then. Fortunately I can use the elliptical so long as I wear the boot.

So I did 55 minutes elliptical today. It's a little uncomfortable but better than nothing.

MTA: To add insult to injury, the damn bunny passed me. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

I hate crunches and sit ups but looks like I better work that in...unless some of you have a more enjoyable alternative? .

Well, sure, I have a more enjoyable alternative, it involves pizza and beer 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Just a dude.

Bummer Perfessor... Sorry to hear that...

Be good and get well soon...

Runner67... Riding a unicycle is good for working your core... you could try that... 

10x400 for me today... Made me feel like a miler... Felt pretty good overall...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Dog-Love

I for one have not bagged SF (ehem Trey!) but I am really under prepared.  My 14 year old daughter is running the half so today we both went out for a 9 miler together.  She pushed me but was also humbled at the distance.  Last night she said something about being able to run any distance at my speed.  I am still proud of her and she is going to do great on the half.

Me?  I will just plod thorugh it and hopefully finish under 5 hours.  I was hoping for a 4:15.

Nice cross training Dutchie!

Perfessor..hope they have a stylish boot for you.

Kelly...nice working getting intervals done.  Isn't it getting hot your way?

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              Dutchie42

This morning, my legs did not want to move. And to make it worse, both dogs were so disobedient, I had to wait often for them to come back out of the fields, which added about 10 minutes to my 7K run, arghhhhhh.

It was nice out though, despite the overcast skies.

Crabby: when is SF? Isn't it great running with your kid? My boys never made it further then 7 kilometers. They are fast and talented if they put the effort in. But they never have, not in judo (talented there too), not in swimming (again, they were really good at it). I think they take after me, a total lack of competitiveness But I have no talent in any sports.

Perfesser: love the avatar I hope it's a strained tendon. When will they know?

Trey: anything that requires balance works your core. You do know that there are a lot of non-traditional core exercises that are fun?

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Perfesser: love the avatar I hope it's a strained tendon. When will they know?

Since the treatment is the same for either there's no need for an MRI to diagnose it unless it doesn't improve after 3 weeks.

Russ- Tough break on the injury.  Hope it's feeling better soon.  My pain made a pretty quick recovery so I guess it was probably more tendon than bone.  Since I've been paying attention to that foot I've noticed that it is the foot that supports all my weight when I squat down.  I've tried to even out the weight (catcher style) and that seems to have helped a lot.

Trey- I like the unicycle idea!  Have you tried the Wii fit?  It actually has some fun balance/core drills.

Dutchie- Sounds like you might be pushing the recovery a little.  I'm thinking overtraining for the dead legs.

The weather was much nicer today.  80F and just gorgeous out.  I did a 10K run with a 5K tempo in the middle.  Felt great!  I'm planning a swim tomorrow then I will do a mini taper for my tri race this weekend.

Imminent Catastrophe

Trey- I like the unicycle idea...

Seriously. It's a good workout.

Just a dude.

Imminent Catastrophe

Heh. I don't have any pictures of me on mine upright.

Just a dude.

heh... I look fat in that pic... (probably cuz I was...)

12875 meters (8 miles) today with some strides...Felt ok, but kinda slow... 

Do you actually ride Perfesser?

-Kelly

Perfesser: Sorry about the confirmed injury - is swimming on the cross training list?

So - I finally went into the fancy gym for my evaluation before getting some training scheduled. Outside of the fact that my body fat % is off of the charts (ugh!) Mostly I confirmed all of my fitness positives and negatives.

Positives: Low blood pressure, better resting heart rate than the trainer, good bike test, weight is what I thought it would be

Negatives: Low core strength, zero upper body strength, balance blah, etc...

So, I'm going to commit to 2-3X serious 'resistance" training sessions per week (one with the trainer, two on my own) and see where it gets me... the idea is to turn the flab into muscle - they actually aren't recommending that I lose more than 2-3 lbs. I also want to concentrate on some preventative measures like strengthening my back and improving flexibility.

Today rest, yesterday 4 miles in the morning and the afternoon gym, monday 30 min elliptical.

Happy Wednesday, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Do you actually ride Perfesser?

-Kelly

Well, I try!  Actually I haven't been for a while, I think I'll take it up again, it really is a good workout, especially if you're really bad at it.

Unfortunately since I live in the middle of nowhere there's no pool nearby. I feel like I'm getting a pretty good workout on the elliptical, either hill or cardio programs. And catching up on a lot of TV shows too.