2000Km-1243 mile club

October 2012 (Read 244 times)

Great job on the 12k Happy.  And thanks for the race report Russ, great reading.

Finished my nearly 73 km fun run in 8:36.  Started off hot, then poured with rain so got cold and had to put on a thermal, then it got windy, then it got hot again, so thermal off, then it poured again, just couldn't win. Still managed to knock out a few km at sub 5:40/km in the last 15km.  Don't know how I managed that.  Guess the key was that I just took it pretty easy with plenty of breaks.  Had a great time and heaps of fantastic scenery.  Which means there were lots of hills.  Beer and wine o'clock time.

Have a good weekend all

MTA here is the Garmin download http://connect.garmin.com/activity/239575723

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Ohh my Puke - what a great time on a challenging course! Looks like you had a pretty level 10-mile warmup before the monster hills  and then about 10-mile easing off downhill to the end - thank goodness for that. Punishing course otherwise.  Mother Nature probably thought she'd add to the hilarity, playing games with the weather and the participants.

Love the Garmin display. So do the newer Garmins measure elevation changes and track distance over vertical ground now?  I didn't know that.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Happy, my garmin has always had the elevation graph in Garmin Connect.  It does estimate elevation using your GPS location, which can be rough at best, then applies a correction algorithm using know elevations.  or something like that.  The latest ones are coming out with barometric elevation measurement, which i supposed to be more accurate.

The thing with elevation display is that it is all dependent on the scale.  I only had about 700m of elevation gain, which is piddling if you compare it to one of Russ' training runs. :-)

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Blushoh yeah, so does mine.... pretend I never asked.

Blushoh yeah, so does mine.... pretend I never asked.

Asked what?

:-)

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

12 mile trail run for me today: 2 doggies, one girlfriend, no rain, lovely fall colors, felt more strenuous than I expected.

Imminent Catastrophe

Puke, I said this on FB but it bears repeating: Those solo long runs are really, really tough. I like to do races for my long training runs, well, because you have company, people handing you food and drink, and you get a T-shirt and schwag. Doing that solo is just mentally really difficult, at least for me. 

Then again, I don't get to run in New Zealand!

I've forgotten, are you aiming for a goal race? Running Tarawera next year? Paul has talked about adding a 100-miler in 2014, I might actually have to return for that one!

I had a pretty good run today, after a couple more days off I got in 8.6 and the achilles tendon felt OK (but usually I don't feel it until later). It's getting close to decision time on JFK50, I'd hate to miss that but might have to.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Puke, I said this on FB but it bears repeating: Those solo long runs are really, really tough. I like to do races for my long training runs, well, because you have company, people handing you food and drink, and you get a T-shirt and schwag. Doing that solo is just mentally really difficult, at least for me. 

Then again, I don't get to run in New Zealand!

I've forgotten, are you aiming for a goal race? Running Tarawera next year? Paul has talked about adding a 100-miler in 2014, I might actually have to return for that one!

I had a pretty good run today, after a couple more days off I got in 8.6 and the achilles tendon felt OK (but usually I don't feel it until later). It's getting close to decision time on JFK50, I'd hate to miss that but might have to.

It wasn't totally solo, had two people sharing running with me, Andrew did 55 km and Heather (of the TuM Heather Bars fame) did about 17 km.  Certainly helped to have someone to talk to.  Then again the scenery was stunning, so didn't have to talk all the time.  There was also a 1/2 Ironman on at the same time and the cyclist were going backwards and forwards past us, always good to laugh at them and all their flash gear.

And next goal race is the 100km Tarawera.  Sounds like the 100 miler is in planning for 2014.  Heather and Andrew were doing some of the safety plans for it recently and it sounds like they course will start by the Lake Tarawera outlet, over Mt Tarawera itself, then back around towards Green Lake and Blue lake to join the short course runners.  Sounds stunning.

Maybe time for a big rest for the body Russ?  Then again maybe not, enter the JFK :-)

Sounds like a nice run Happy, always good to run in Autumn.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

Puke, glad to hear that you had company and spandex-clad triathlon folks to laugh at. OMG that Tarawera 100-miler sounds absolutely amazing. Can they get clearance to run past Green Lake? BTW I noticed your Garmin file is in those archaic imperial units of feet and miles--when are you people going to join the modern world? Wink

I know I should pull out of JFK50 now but I've already pulled from a marathon on October 27, and it's the 50th anniversary of the JFK50 which is the oldest 50-miler so I'd hate to miss that. I'll do a long trail run in the next week to evaluate my achilles, if it is questionable I'll pull out. 

Regarding triathletes, I have a funny anecdote:

Last year I ran a 24-hour race on a 1.7-mile loop. There were 6,12, and 24-hour events, and I wanted to run the 12 but was too late to switch from the 24 so just planned to quit after 12 hours (this is the beauty of timed races, if you complete one lap there is no DNF). Anyway, there was one runner who was conspicuously an Ironman guy (because he was all spandex flash gear with Ironman logos) running the 6-hour, presumably training for an Ironman. 

At one point the loop crosses a road which has very little traffic. This one time there were a couple of cars coming, and a few of us ultrarunners just stopped to let the cars pass, after all we're running for hours, what's the diff? But not Mister spandex-clad triathlon guy. No, he charged out into the road in all his logoed, spandex-clad glory, held his hand out COMMANDING  the TWO cars to stop, STOP so that Mister Ironman would not be denied precious seconds in his training run. The other runners then proceeded (since Spandex-clad Ironman guy had heroically saved us from certain death) and went on our way. Sheesh.

I thought, this is the perfect example of the difference between triathletes and ultrarunners. 

My other anecdote is from Tarawera 100k, I think you were there, Pukekura, we were running along and one runner said "I'm training for a triathlon" and another runner said, "Triathlon? I'll wash your mouth out". That really cracked me up. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Puke, glad to hear that you had company and spandex-clad triathlon folks to laugh at. OMG that Tarawera 100-miler sounds absolutely amazing. Can they get clearance to run past Green Lake? BTW I noticed your Garmin file is in those archaic imperial units of feet and miles--when are you people going to join the modern world? Wink

I think it is the little link at the top left that says "view in metric"  Garmin just assumes you want it in imperial units so unless you have it set up to default to metric, it shows up as those funny dimensions :-)

with the tri people, it was quite funny, we saw them at the very start and then we saw the same riders on their way back when we had done about 18k, they were a bit confused as we were a long way from civilization, without a bike....

Re the 160km at TuM, would sure be cool to run over the volcano the race is named after.  Apart from all the climbing

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Just got back from helping out at my son's school camp.  No running all week, but we were on the fourth floor of a back packers so used the stairs every time, which was about 20 times a day :-(

Interesting experience watching 50 country kids let loose in a big city.

Came home absolutely shattered.

So what is every one up to this weekend?

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

I've been invited by my trail running buddy and her doggies to go to a trail running birthday party tomorrow for a friend of hers. It will be a trail I've hiked before, but not run. The plan is 10 miles and then a potluck hot lunch at someone's house who is making a Mexican Bean/Pasta Soup. I'm bringing cornbread muffins.The weather is supposed to be perfect. I think it will be a LOT of fun and I'll be meeting all new people - who like to trail run!! How great is that!

I've been invited by my trail running buddy and her doggies to go to a trail running birthday party tomorrow for a friend of hers. It will be a trail I've hiked before, but not run. The plan is 10 miles and then a potluck hot lunch at someone's house who is making a Mexican Bean/Pasta Soup. I'm bringing cornbread muffins.The weather is supposed to be perfect. I think it will be a LOT of fun and I'll be meeting all new people - who like to trail run!! How great is that!

That sounds like so much fun.  What a great idea. Should be awesome.  :-)

I went for a walk with the family and the Labrador today.  Showed them some of the riverside trails. Which the dog loved.

Tomorrow I am allowed to run 5.5 km into town to drop off the hire DVD, then run home. Looking forward to moving at a faster pace again.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Which the dog loved.

love thisBig grin

Have a wonderful run, Puke. No doubt you are looking forward to the solitude as much as the running. I can't even imagine being around 50 kids!

nothing too exciting here - going for 5 miler as soon as the toast settles. Husband wants to go for a hike in Blomidon Hills (bay of Fundy) tomorrow, should be fun. Work/ life has been busy but I'm taking a break next week - going home (NYC) to visit family and then onto Mexico with girlfriends, so glad I planned this in January.

im always reading along - keeps me motivated to build back into base mileage before spring training.

Happy saturday, A

Recalculating...