2000Km-1243 mile club

in pursuit of Boston and other great April runs and races (Read 15 times)

Have a great trail race.

im waking up to light snow, so I'm going to run easy down to the gym and run 5 at race pace on my friend the treadmill.

happy Sunday, A

Recalculating...

I don't know what to expect out of my legs tomorrow since my training has been so interupted the last couple of weeks, but assuming everything clicks my goal is........

Bib #8895

minimum goal (BQ) = 3:25:00

goal time (PR) = 3:18:12

dream goal = 3:15:00

We are rooting for you guys! i'll have to sneak peak online at the office tomorrow. Good luck!

Recalculating...

The trail half today was challenging for me, mainly because I tried to keep up with the faster girls for about 3 or 4 miles and that wore me out.  The start was unusual in that it started snowing (!)  while we waited (and I had the good sense to wear shorts!!!)  and that continued for a mile or so. After that, as we came down in elevation it turned to rain that continued to the end. In the end I achieved my goal time of 2:20 according to my Garmin; but it was hard won. My legs have been tired all week and they didn't have any spring today.

Sounds like fun. Well done

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Sounds like fun. Well done

Oh then perhaps I misrepresented it...Here's the long version:

It was really HARD and my legs are very sore today. By my Garmin, I achieved my goal of 2:20; but it was hard won. The beginning was quite unusual because as we waited, the wind gusted and it began snowing!!  They had bussed us to the start which  was at 1600 ft elevation. Everyone was FREEZING! After much mental debate over what to wear, I had chosen shorts - eek!! and here it was 30F and snowing for the first mile and a half! As we came down in elevation, the snow turned to rain that lasted for the whole race.  I started out trying to keep up with the "fast girls."  I tailed them for about 4 miles and that just wore me out. I couldn't keep up and struggled to keep my breathing under control and not get a sideache. Long before the halfway mark, they'd left me in the dust. I had a mini meltdown of discouragement - my legs have been tired all week and had absolutely no spring in them; my left hamstring has been problematic lately and was really painful at that point along with a myriad of other leg pains. I was a mess! I regrouped and decided I would just try to "jog it in." Well once I relaxed and quit straining, it seemed things got easier.  The trail was flooded in many areas (mud-puddle lakes) which meant a lot of leaping across, leaping sideways, high-stepping through, jumping up on the banks to skirt around, that sort of thing. I think  that recruiting all the extra muscles and tendons took some of the workload off the "straight ahead running" muscles and most of my pains subsided. Plus I confess to walking around some of them because I didn't have the energy to jump. My very fatigued legs were working as hard as they could go. I ate a couple caffeinated Shot Bloks which gave me a boost. There was a surprise hill - short but very very steep about 1/4 mile before the end - at which point I let go of my time goal. Three guys with drums were there to provide music with a marching beat which helped tremendously!  Then it was about an eighth of a mile flat stretch to the finish line. I actually felt strong as I cruised in and was happy to stop my watch on 2:20 - yippee! Honestly though, I was so happy just to STOP.Joking

Even though I've run this trail many times before, with all the water on the trail and the rain and the stress of trying to run it fast, some of it it felt a "new" trail to me.

There was a fun outdoor after-race party complete with hot food, beer (wine for me), and a couple of fire pits. Everyone was very social and I had a good time talking to people I had never met before. It was quite nice. So it ended on a good note, but still...it was flat out hard!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

Been a bit quiet, struggled a bit physically and mentally after the 100.  But got back on the horse with a hilly 28 km last weekend.

Feel much better now.  Just entered Rotorua Marathon in 3 weeks time.

Apologies for not getting around to writing up a race report.  Struggled to get my head around putting down how it all went.

Brian, I wonder if like Russ a while back you had a bit of burnout after the last ultra. The mental and physical effort involved has got to take a toll.  You guys should just factor that into the post-race plan, expect it will occur, create a game plan that allows for a recovery break and has a return-to-running buildup that you can just follow along...what do I know?...it just seems it would be easier on you if you planned for it....probably sounds stupid..

For me right now, I just don't want any pressure. The only race on my calendar is another trail HM in August. I'm going to skip the Rhody Run 12K in May because I don't think I could run it as fast as my trail running gal pal and it would just further discourage me. I told her I'm not doing it again until I can keep up with her!

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, my number is 12799, with a 10:20 start. The weather should be pretty ideal, 40-55. I've already BQ'ed for 2014 so I don't have any pressure but I'd like to turn in a 3:40-3:50, a hard effort to give the race the respect it deserves but should still be able to enjoy the ride.

This really is the Super Bowl of marathons, even compared to NYC. It takes over the town, and every other person walking down the street is wearing a Boston Marathon Jacket (including my wife). The expo was crazy.

As far back as college I dreamt about running this race and tried for 6 years to qualify, even gave up a couple of times, so this one is really special, I might need sunglasses when I turn onto Boylston Street and spot the finish line.

If you're not familiar, the Citgo sign in my avatar is at mile 25, near Fenway Park.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

ohhh, I did not know that...about the Citigo sign...thanks for explaining. Sounds like a festive environment! Fantastic luck on the weather this year! Nice and cool.  Hope you both have excellent runs! I'll be thinking of you.

Those half splits look great! Keep on trucking!

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh fuck. DW and I had just left the area and heard two blasts, feared the worst.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Good to hear you are ok Russ.  We are fine too.

Glad to hear you are both OK.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

That is great to hear, I was worried for you both.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

I'm so glad you all are  ok. We are very sad here.

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Thanks for checking in!!  My coworker just came back from lunch and told me the news. What a relief to hear you are both okay.