2000Km-1243 mile club

August 2012 (Read 270 times)

Gorgeous view!

Recalculating...

Went hiking yesterday for the first time in ages (and the first time this year). Here's a few pics. Despite how it looks, this trail was definitely not runnable. I was glad I was just ambling along.After Saturday's 14-miler, my legs were tired and my stride was a bit choppy on the downhill return trip. This hike was 11 miles RT, 3500 feet up and 3500 feet down! I didn't get any good pics of the wildflowers, but we passed through and by numerous alpine meadows filled with a dozen different wildflowers. It was an gorgeous day, about 70F, and virtually Bug-Free too! It was such a treat!

What a cool place to hike / run.  So jealous.  Thanks for the photos.

We have had rain, rain and then some more rain down here in NZ.

Finally got some sunshine today, so bolted out the door for a lazy 7km....now for some house work before DW gets home and wonders what I have been up to on my day off.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Puke, don't you have an ultra in two weeks?? What's your plan? I'm mystified. Sorry you're having such sloppy weather. That can make for uninspiring running conditions.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Puke, don't you have an ultra in two weeks?? What's your plan? I'm mystified. Sorry you're having such sloppy weather. That can make for uninspiring running conditions.

Yep.  Plan is just hoping to finish Big grin  This ultra was my first one ever last year so just trying to do pretty much the same.  Get to 50km and just guts it out from there.

Got my last long run this Sunday.  Run 8km to 1/2 marathon start, run 1/2 marathon (hopefully in 1:55 ish) and then run 8km home.

As for training plan, never really had one Sad  One of my running buddies said I should really have one, but my whole life revolves around whether my daughter is sick or healthy.  Just been sick, and now she is healthy.  Time to run more :-)

MTA I think the plan for the race is, every 4 km alternate drink then food. Start off slow, walk all the big hills, and smile lots

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Yep.  Plan is just hoping to finish Big grin  This ultra was my first one ever last year so just trying to do pretty much the same.  Get to 50km and just guts it out from there.

Got my last long run this Sunday.  Run 8km to 1/2 marathon start, run 1/2 marathon (hopefully in 1:55 ish) and then run 8km home.

As for training plan, never really had one Sad  One of my running buddies said I should really have one, but my whole life revolves around whether my daughter is sick or healthy.  Just been sick, and now she is healthy.  Time to run more :-)

MTA I think the plan for the race is, every 4 km alternate drink then food. Start off slow, walk all the big hills, and smile lots

Sorry to hear your daughter's been ill.Sad

Your race plan sounds Perfect. You should have a fun time. 

Good luck this Sunday - hope it is a huge confidence builder for you.

I think I'll have my legs back (from last weekend's hike)  by tomorrow. So as one of my final HM prep workouts, I'm planning on a 12-mile tempo run broken down like this:  3 EZ - 3 @ 9 mpm - 1 EZ -  3 @ 9 mpm - 2 EZ.

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey Happy, I'm drinking a "Hoppy Feet" IPA right now. I thought of you.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Hmm....beer....maybe that's why I've suddenly run out of energy!  Although I'm only drinking coffee at the moment. I have the afternoon off and am going for an EZ 6. I think I'm tired just thinking about tomorrow's tempo run.

Thanks for thinking of me - I love the name: Hoppy Feet Big grin. Don't think I'll change though since that would probably require me to exhibit more spring in my step...and that's unlikely to happen...today anyway.

OK I'm turning off the computer now or I'll never break free!

Well, so much for trying to target 1:55 in today's half.  Got a bit of race fever and knocked out a 3 minute PB (1:46)

Left wondering how it would have gone if I didn't run 8km to the start line.

A large chocolate milk, banana and coffee added to the fun on the 8km run home.

Now its taper time

So what did every one else get up to this weekend?

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Sounds like 8K was just the warmup you needed.  Nice performance!

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Brian - Sounds like a tough run.  Hope you are on the mend.

Happy - Some nice pretty runs recently.

Puke - Nothing like peaking at just the right time gl on the 66km.

I managed a pretty good long run today, 15.5 in the rain.  It had been a month since double digits and two months since > 13 miles so keeping the pace progressive was a big accomplishment.  Next up for me is my 70 mile relay (actually 77 miles).  We have a 6 person team from my new running group trying it out.  If we like it we are planning on doing the 200 mile option next year.

HappyFeat

Sounds like 8K was just the warmup you needed.  Nice performance!

totally agree! marvelous race result - congrats on the PB, Puke!!

Great job on your LR this weekend, Jeff! Wish I had your speed.

My tempo yesterday was not as quick as I would have liked. I'm hoping the reason was lingering fatigue from last weekend's endeavors. Today I went on a 6-mile EZ hike and I had some twinges in quads and hips. I plan to focus on rehab/recoery as much as anything else before the HM on 9/8.

Just noticed your post about your trail run drphibes66.  I would have crapped myself.  Lucky you had people around to help.

How is the recovery going?

Heffa, 15.5 in the rain? You sure you haven't been in NZ?  Hope you have fun on the relay.

Take it easy Happy, make sure you are well rested for the 1/2.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Just noticed your post about your trail run drphibes66.  I would have crapped myself.  Lucky you had people around to help.

How is the recovery going?

Going fine, but slow.  Tried some light jogging at a shuffle pace last Thursday and couldn't handle it.  You don't realize how much your rib and abdominal muscles bounce around until they're sore.  Saturday I walked/hiked out to the scene of the crime and took some memorial pictures. You can see the root I tripped over and the piece of tree that caught my ribs and kept me from simply falling on my face.  Still haven't figured out how I missed the octopus tentacle in between.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

MTA: The highlight of today's run was about mile 12 when I was surrounded by a pack of 4 Pit Bulls, their owner uselessly calling them until they lost interest in me. It was pretty scary at first. Stupid dog owners. 

"pretty scary" would be putting it mildly, I'm sure!  I remembered your post while reading the latest Runner's World story of two brothers mauled by a pack of pit bulls while running.  Sounds like you were very lucky, PerfesserR.