2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in of 30 nov-6 Dec (Read 361 times)

Dutchie42

Goooood Morning everone

New week people, let's make it a good one!

Can't believe it's only a few more weeks till Xmas. This year flew by.

Slept in this morning. I was so sore and tired yesterday, I thought I needed the extra rest. Feeling much better, and with hardly any DOMS. Good decision. Maybe I'll do something after work. Mike will cook, so I have a little time if I get home early enough.

Have a great day and a most excellent workout.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

Didn't workout at all yesterday. Dinner was already on the table when I got home

It's a new month. Do you have any goals for December? Mine are:

• maintain a 10 mile long run on Sunday
      • increase mileage on Tuesday back up to 7 kilometers
      • increase mileage on Sat back up to 6.5 kilometers
      • incorporate a 30min swim again on my Thursday off work (every other week). Swimming every other week won't do much for me in terms of progress, but it will get me back in the habit. 

Dutchie

Dog-Love

Well I am not even sure I will make my normal 1000+ year but darn if I don't still have a month to run 100+ miles.  Can always try though.  Snowing in Juneau and its a bit harder to get longer runs in.  I am healthy though.

Have a good week

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Snowing in Juneau and its a bit harder to get longer runs in.  I am healthy though.

I was whining this morning because the temp was 29ºF.  Thanks, Crabby, for helping put things in perspective and get me out on the road.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice hard 6.1-mile trail run today and I realized I'm not in "trail shape", it was tough! 1650 ft. climb/descent and plenty of power-walking up the steeper sections. I'm hoping I can keep up my mileage with less wear on my sore leg. It was a new section that I haven't tried before. Next time I'll bring one of the dogs, they'll really love it!

This was harder than my HM last weekend and almost took me as long. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Sounds like a great outing, PerfesserR and quite the workout.

I'm hoping to run 5 tonight on the TM. Took off last night after slamming my left knee with the car door Sunday evening. My whole leg hurt for hours and I had a hard time getting to sleep that night. But I've iced a lot and it seems ok today. Barring any more bad luck, I should be on track for meeting the mileage goal....sooo excited about that.

MTA  Did 6 miles with no problem. It seems my trouble with the treadmill has been solved by setting it at 0 incline and 0 cushioning.  What a relief!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

...---...

I had a nice 6.6 miles along the boardwalk at Huntington Beach on Tuesday. It was deceptively warm - a cool breeze coming off the Pacific kept me "feeling" I was not producing but my visor was soaked to the end of the bill after the run.

Russ - I hear you on the trail thing. The trail surface should help tremendously. At least, it helped me. Heal well.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

2.5 on the treadmill today, we had torrential rain and high winds. 2 miles in VFF's then 1/2 mile barefoot. I've progressed to the point where the VFF's are more comfortable than running shoes. When I wear "stability" shoes they feel like I'm wearing clogs. Lightweight trainers like the Mizuno Elixir feel OK. Santa promised a pair of Inov-8 F-lite 230PKs, a lightweight (8 oz.) minimal shoe.

Trail running is definitely better for me, in a number of ways. Less shock to the legs yet a better workout on all the hills. My Quads are feeling yesterday's run. I ran through the woods for 90 minutes and didn't see another person or car, and a few places had really nice views. I'd sign up for that 24-hour UltraTerri run but don't want to take up a space if I can't make it.

Compared to a recent road run, where a stupid teenager in a car almost ran over me, DW and Daisy while she was yakking on a cellphone and driving way too fast, the trails are really nice. Then she had the audacity to stop and yell at us for "being in the road" (there's no shoulder, where else would we be?). Then her family, whom she was presumably yakking with on her cellphone, got in their car and chased us down to confront us for "yelling at my daughter".  

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Only 3 M today on the TM. Multiple complaints from lower legs, plus fatigue. Last night's 6 miler was so worth it though, complete with some quarter-mile bursts of speed. I never iced today like I meant to; didn't stretch out the hamstrings either; so I can't expect much more than I got tonight.

Dog-Love

I hear you on the trails Perfessor...I ran 5.5 on one of my favorite summertime trails although today it had 6 -10 inches of soft snow which made it really feel like a 10 mile run.  But no cars and 2 happy doggies and 2 happy runny buds. 

Did I mention that I no longer run with the best running partner ever Rusty?   It's been about 2 weeks and I miss him.  As much as he wants to go...it is just too much and we enjoy our trail hiking together. We all miss his exuberence.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                        Finally had my first doctor visit today.  It went pretty much like I expected it to.  "Groin pain huh?...turn your head and cough".  After we got through the required poking and prodding I ended up with an order for a CT scan and a surgical consult.  I'm happy with the order for a CT.  I would like to rule out any obvious problems and check for a regular hernia.  I'm just very skeptical that they will find anything definitive and I will be back to square one.  At least the process is started.
                        HappyFeat

Did I mention that I no longer run with the best running partner ever Rusty?   It's been about 2 weeks and I miss him.  As much as he wants to go...it is just too much and we enjoy our trail hiking together. We all miss his exuberence.

Crabby: If you run on the road, Rusty could still accompany you in a stroller.  Just a suggestion. That's what I did with my Golden when she got too old and arthritic. She used to run with me up to 6 miles, and after so many years together, it was hard to give up the shared activity. I converted a bike trailer/stroller into a dog stroller. It was practically weightless to push even though she was 70 lbs and we absolutely loved our outings.

Heffa: Update us when you have CT results. This mystery is killing me!  What's the purpose of a surgical consult if you don't have a diagnosis yet? Did I miss something?

Dutchie42

Heffa: yeah for the doctor's visit. You'll know soon what your problem is.

Sorry to have been gone all week. I didn't run either. I seem to have landed myself with yet another injury. I always seem to do that shortly before a race.

Anyways, Tuesday a week ago I was wearing dress shoes to work when the top of my R-foot started to hurt. No severe pain. Just uncomfortable. The shoes have a bit of elastic in the middle that always feels a little tight on my R-foot.

Next day, I was wearing the same shoes cause they happened to be downstairs when I was leaving for work. My foot got worse. But still no severe pain. Didn't think much of it and continued running. It never bothered me when running, so why not run, right?

However, by Monday (and after my long run) I noticed I was walking funny to avoid the uncomfortable pain. I posted the question on another site and was told stress fracture. I didn't believe that cause I've never broken a bone in my life  Lots of sprains from stupid accidents but no broken bones.

I googled my symptoms and looked here on RA and came up with a sort of tendonitis caused by shoes laced too tight. In my case, the elastic being too tight. That's my self-diagnosis for now and I'm sticking too it I've been taking anti-inflammatories and no running for a few days. And it seems a little better.

Dutchie

...---...

I managed to get in about 8 in San Fran. My flight was delayed due to fog so I didn't have time to park where I wanted - I settled for a beautiful run along Beach St, the marina, and the trail along Crissy Field. I did make it to the base of the GGB which was a spectacular view on a clear sunny day.

I passed on the Buena Vista but ended up at the Fog City Diner - which has awesome food btw - it looked like it might have been a tourist trap but it's filled with regulars. I had the obligatory Anchor Steam on tap for me, and one for PerfesserR.

MTA - Jeff, keeping my fingers crossed.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Heffa: Update us when you have CT results. This mystery is killing me!  What's the purpose of a surgical consult if you don't have a diagnosis yet? Did I miss something?

No, you didn't miss anything.  My doctor pretty much agrees that all signs point towards a sports hernia and she is not equipped to do anything about that.  She wants to get some films to rule out any hidden problems so she will look at the CT.  Assuming nothing shows up on the CT it would be a surgical issue so we went ahead and started the appt for the surgeon to speed up the process.  I figure I will get my CT results back before my surgical consult so they will have some pictures at my first visit.  From everything I've read the CT will not help them diagnose a sports hernia but they would most likely order one anyway.