2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in June 29 - July 5 (Read 334 times)

Stepped out the door this morning a little later than planned and it was actually chilly.  What a pleasant change.  Clothes weren't soaked at the end and my cool-down actually cooled me down. Despite the cool temps I was verrry slow over 4 miles.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Gig

I might not run today. If I do, it'll be six miles from my parents house down to the Rehoboth, DE boardwalk. If all goes well, I'll take a surfing lesson this afternoon. I was supposed to this morning, but there were no waves.

I've always wanted to surf, so this is pretty exciting for me.

I'm staying ahead of the 2000K bunny okay, but I'm about 30 miles behind my stretch goal of 1,500 miles. I should be able to make up at least 10 of those miles this week.

Dutchie42

No run for me this morning. Slept in till 5h30. Did 35 min of UB strength training (incl. abs) and 20min of LB instead of a recovery run. Recovery runs are just to get the blood in your muscles going right? so LB strength should do the same?

Gig, great to see you.

BTW, what exactly is a steady state run?

OK, there's this tiny shoulder muscle moving like crazy right now. I think I stop typing.

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Yikes, I'm 40 miles behind the bunny - I guess I'll be catching up around August...

Ten miler on Saturday was OK, scheduled rest day yesterday. Today I did my weight training (I'm trying for 2X a week) with a 2.5 mile run before hand. Tonight fancy dinner with DH's clients hopefully with yummy wine. Tomorrow, 7 miles most likely in the rain.

Happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

...---...

Rest day.

Heffa - by the way, how's your groin upper thigh issue? I remember we were going throught he same thing there for a while.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

OK, there's this tiny shoulder muscle moving like crazy right now. I think I stop typing.

LOL.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Gig

Surfing was put off for a day due to tiny waves. So I did tomorrow's workout. 15K. A 15K run for me is an excuse to stretch a 9 mile run a little bit further. For the first time in a while, I started a little bit slowly and built up, finishing with my fastest mile at the end.

I was a bit worried because I started at least five miles from home, and within a half mile, my plantar fasciitis started flaring up a little bit. I managed it by paying better attention to my running form, but it's been a problem for the past several weeks. I think it's time for some new shoes. (I was just starting to like these ones.)

Dutchie, were you asking me about a steady state run? Do I have one of those somewhere in my log?

Have a happy week.

Rest days yesterday and today.  I didn't do much resting though.  It was a rather busy weekend.  Intervals tomorrow.

Trey - The groin area is feeling great now.  I had a busy work schedule after my marathon so I had a forced down time for almost 2 months.  I really needed the rest so it worked out well.  Now I'm ramping back up for my fall races and everything seems good so far.  How are your parts?

Dog-Love

I let Trey get by me the other day  ...but there is still time to catch up.  Seems like right now I would rather surf than run.  Or fish.   I ran a Midnight Fools 5K on Saturday after a large dinner with wine and I still did 8.5 minute miles.  Very surprising.  Today I think I will do a 4 miler and get back in the mood.

Gig...I am severely humbled by your running this year!

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

6 miles this morning - woke up way early, for no reason so, went for my run. Wow, 67 degrees (which felt almost chilly) but was wonderful. I was able to run ~1min per mile overall faster today (20 sec slower than goal MP) than I've been able to in more than a month. I was also pleased to see that my HR was at, practically, recovery pace on average. Beautiful.

I've never really run in the mornings...just hate getting up usually. But holy cow, where did all these runners in my neighborhood come from? Based on how good it felt this morning, I think I'll try converting over to early morning runs everyday, at least until it cools down. 

Heff - my parts seem to be doing pretty well. I have to stay on top of the hip flexor and glute stretches but so far, knock on wood, all systems are go. 

I've always wanted to surf too. But I live in the hills so I'll have to live vicariously through Gig's updates. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

9 miles this morning. Early routine worked well again. Nice aerobic range HR, 70 degrees, not much traffic. Feeling good.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Tuesday--8.8 with strides. I was pretty tired afterward. The heat is not quite so bad this week but still just wears me out.

Wednesday--14.4 long run along the creek in the National Forest. Another tough hill workout but it's a nice (mostly) shady route. I was really dragging by the end. A few walk breaks, especially on the climb, trying to keep the HR from getting up too much but that's nearly impossible with the hills and heat.

I Only saw a few campers and one strange little guy playing a banjo .

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Gig

I Only saw a few campers and one strange little guy playing a banjo .

In case you've never seen this tshirt before:

Gig

Surfing update.

Yesterday, the waves were adequate for a lesson. DW and I joined two others. We went down to the Indian River Bridge in Bethany, DE, which is about 10 minutes south of Rehoboth. The waves were really quite small, but that suited DW just fine. The thing is, she's got great balance, and would have been fine in the bigger waves except that she would have been too scared. I wouldn't have been afraid of anything smaller than me, but that's because I haven't got the good sense to fear bigger waves. Digression. Sorry.

During the two hour lesson, I rode four waves where I was able to stand up. Each ride lasted around five seconds. DW did just about as well. Neither of us figured out how to get off the board when we reached the beach, except by falling on our faces.

So, overall, it was pretty exciting that we actually did it (more exciting that we avoided any serious injuries). It would be great to be able to claim to have ridden a gnarly tube or something, but that will have to wait until we get a bit more experience. There is an Annapolis Surfing Club. We can't figure out where they could possibly go surfing, but we'll probably check it out. In the meantime, we bought a discount copy of Point Break on DVD yesterday, and we'll be sure to order some other surfing movies from Blockbuster. I'm open to suggestions.

Gig

Running Update.

Today was a solid interval workout, but a sad one, too. I've come to the realization that it's pretty unlikely that I'll meet my goal of running a six-minute mile later this month. I really haven't been doing the speed work I needed to do. Bummer. I could look for another miler later in the year, but this is the one that the local running community shows up for. I'll still try, but I'll be happy with beating last year's 6:49, and focus on six minutes for 2010.