2000Km-1243 mile club

weekly? check in February (Read 445 times)

Dutchie42

Speed workout this morning: pulled out Runervals 1.0 and did 5.5 speedy/hilly kilometers.It was harder than last time I did a speed/hills w/o (3 weeks ago), but I did good.
    I followed coach Troy for the first interval set, than did my own thing loosely based on what coach Troy was doing (higher speed/higher inclines).

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Wow, I have some catching up to do! It's so fun to hear what everyone is running.

Hi Crabby. So sad about Rusty's illness. Sounds like he and you are still enjoying the outdoors though.

Brian: Great job on the Frostbite! You report was such a good read I felt like I was there!

Jeff: Seriously - slippers?? Have you run in them again since the test run? Each to his own, I guessSmile I think you'll have to expand on the idea and come up with a costume to go with them.

PerfesserR:  Thanks for posting all the photos - beautiful area - I went there lots in younger days.

Dutchie: bummer about the AT issue. Mine is definitely caused by the treadmill, but I don't know how.  Report back after your PT appt so I can see if anything matches, OK?

Ayola: Nice runs for you! You are doing great!!

Puke: Congrats on your beating your goal time for the Killer run

Last Sunday I tried doing an out-and-back trail run with a newly formed running club. I was reminded of one of Russ's experiences - everyone passed me in the first half-mile and I never saw them again. It didn't help that most only did 8 miles even though it was posted for 11. I did 11miles and never saw anyone except on their way back when I was in the 3rd mile.  The first/last 3 miles included steep hills, numerous mud-lakes, one stream, one log crossing, one rock slide.  The mid-portion was in a spooky forest and I was so frustrated at going for a "group run" and ending up running alone as usual; plus it was really hard!  I don't think I'll join up with them again - it was my second attempt. Except for 1 guy, no one runs as far as I do and all are much faster and decades younger. I just didn't fit in. BooSad

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy--I can relate. I don't remember if I already wrote about this, but I joined up with the GUTS (Georgia Ultrarunning and Trailrunning Society) group a few weeks ago on a trail run and they were a bunch of young hotshots--one was talking about applying to Badwater--and left me in their dust. So I ran the "group run" alone. Actually there was one slower guy and we ran together for awhile. Anyway, group runs haven't worked out for me either. 

Today was a good hard trail run on the Benton Mackaye Trail and the parallel forest road, 9 miles and I ran or jogged the whole thing. Usually I'll hike the climbs but with my 50-miler coming up I'm trying to train hard so I jogged up the steeper hills.  The forest road is a good training course because Miwok is about half forest road. Honestly, I'm pretty nervous about these upcoming ultras, they are distances longer than I've ever done and I don't know if I've trained enough for them. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Happy: Been to the PT. For the good news: PT said it wasn't my achilles. The pain is in my soleus muscle, which attaches to the side of the achilles.

The root of the problem however, is my L-lower ab (external oblique). It's been painful ever since the very first run/walk I did after I was cleared to run again after my eye surgery back in June Sad This lower ab pain affected the L-Illiopsoas. Which affected my L-hip being tight all the time. And it all caused me to slightly change the way I run. Over time, it ended up in causing an overuse injury in the soleus. And there you go. Because it's all about muscle, it's "easily" treated. As in easier than treating the achilles.

I've avoided running clubs. They all seem to have this mandatory stretching routine at the beginning of every run. I hate stretching before a run. And you have to be there a certain time. Plus they don't run early mornings, nobody does except me, said the fool Wink. So plenty of reason to stay away.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Dutchie: Glad you got your PT got to the root of your AT problem. Amazing how one thing leads to another and how often what hurts is not the source of the problem. 

Mine is linked to a knot in the lateral side of my gastroc...throbbed last night as I was trying to go to sleep...have ice pack on it now. My hamstrings have been really tight lately and probably causing me to overwork my calves.  Not really sure about that though; because it always come on after running too many days in a row on the treadmill - like last week.  So my goal this week has been to run outside every night - and Yay! I did!  There was a beautiful full moon out tonight.

Yeah! That's another down-side of group runs - having to be ready to go at a certain time. This group gets going really early which is not ideal for me. 

PerfesserR:  Sure don't blame you for feeling nervous about your upcoming Loooooong Distance Events. What is your gameplan for training? What kind of food are you planning for the events? I'd be thinking of all the ways I could add caffeine to my snacks!

Rest day today... I ran 3 miles on Wed with 30 minutes of weight training, 6 on Thurs

I got a really good talk about the group run from my consulting structural engineer who did his first marathon last year, He really encouraged me to try it out. My main worry is that I'm still just to slow for the group. Also its on Sundays not Saturdays.

I'm glad the PT worked out for you Dutchie, right now my back is a little sore - I think from raising mileage. Does anyone remember the gravity boots commercial? I need to be hung upsidedown.

Although coffee doesn't agree with me before a run, I discovered I can drink a semi warm cup of coffee in the middle of a long run. My local coffee shop was on mile 9 of the 13 mile run. It made me very happy! I imagine if I ran 50 miles I could put down a pasta dinner with a large glass of red in the middle of the race.

Planning on 8 Sat, 6 Sun, and 90 minutes on Monday (that could vary widely on the snow/ street conditions)

Happy Friday, A

Recalculating...

I have done a couple more miles in the slippers and it's still working out good.  It's been warm enough for actual barefooting so I've been doing that more.  I can easily run a mile completely barefoot now and could probably do 3 or 4 miles with the slippers.  My calf pain is easing up quite a bit so all of the BF and forefoot striking is finally getting worked in.  A couple more weeks of building the forefoot running base and I'll start working on speed for the upcoming race season.  I have some lofty goals for the year (fingers crossed).

It's so rural where I am that there is no such thing as group runs here.  I would have to drive at least 10 miles to get to a group run.  I am more of a lone runner anyway so it works out fine.

Russ - good luck on the upcoming long runs.  If it counts for anything I am confident you will do just fine.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks heffa. Let me know when you're planning on a race in pink bunny slippers, I'd like to see that.

I like my Inov-8 F-lite's, they're little more than slippers with some underfoot protection and ultralight. 

Thanks for the support--it's the night before a 50k and as usual, I'm wondering what the hell I was thinking when I scheduled it. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Good luck Russ!  

I'm with Jeff on this - I have complete confidence in you!

I looked at the website - it's a little vague about the "creek crossings."

Hope you stay dry and avoid blisters. 

MTA: I just saw a great running slogan just for you:  MAY THE COURSE BE WITH YOU!

I have done a couple more miles in the slippers and it's still working out good.  It's been warm enough for actual barefooting so I've been doing that more.  I can easily run a mile completely barefoot now and could probably do 3 or 4 miles with the slippers.

In another forum they would say - this thread is useless without pictures!

Good Luck Perfesser!

A

Recalculating...

I like my Inov-8 F-lite's, they're little more than slippers with some underfoot protection and ultralight. 

I had never look at the inov8's before.  I really like their website and their philosophy but why do shoes with less cost more?  I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on $100 shoe, just seems like some serious price gouging.  But so far if I was going to spend the money I would say the Inov8's have my current vote.

HappyFeat

11 miles on the "rolling hills" route of bike trail. First 10 felt strong. Added the last one on an unfortunately side-slanted section which set off the AT. Oh well. It actually felt OK on the up and downhills, but tightened up on the flat parts in general. Gorgeous clear day.

Imminent Catastrophe

Black Warrior 50k done. It was a nice course, constant rolling hills in nice shady forest, with lots and lots piles of poop from the horses, plus they really tear up the trails and make the frequent muddy spots into big nasty quagmires. Still, it's been a dry week so I managed to avoid wading. I ran at a nice training pace since this is a training run for Old Pueblo in two weeks. Ran for much of it with a couple other runners, which really made the miles go by easier--usually I'm running alone in these races. 

Sometimes after a race I have grudges. After Pine Mountain it was fallen leaves. After Bandera it was rocks. Today, it's horses. 

Now, taper time. Another 19 miles would have been painful.

HappyFeat

Sounds like overall it was pretty OK then for you today, Russ. Nice to have running buddies for once, huh?

That's funny about the grudgesSmile and completely understandable.

Good job Russ! 50 miles in two weeks? Inconceivable.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013