2000Km-1243 mile club

hip pain, Wassup with that? (Read 183 times)

...---...

I really thought I had this training cycle beat - through the 18 miler and no problems, no pain, no sweat...there could have been a dull pain, hardly noticable just prior to the 18 miler but nothing that caused me to raise a red flag. During and after this past Tuesday's 8 miler, I started developing hip pain (left side, right around the joint area). It started about 5-6 miles into the run, I slowed way down and it felt better but later that night and even into Wednesday, it bothered me. I rested Wed. Thursday felt pretty good but when I tried to run last night, I stopped after 1/2 mile. It hurt (more of an internal hurt as opposed to near the surface) - I stopped because it never felt like it would "loosen up" and begin to fade like a lot of our other little running quirky type pains and superficial discomfort will do. I'm doing all the RICE type things but thought I would bat this around here to see if anyone else had experienced this kind of thing before seeing as how this is a new pain/injury for me. Thanks all.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I haven't had that specifically but sounds like you're doing the right thing--pull back a bit on your training, RICE (I favor Aleve). I hope it goes away!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

sounds like it could be bursitis to me my Sports Medicine self help book says: ice for 20 to 30 min every 4 hours until pain goes away and take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen or aleve It also says "best prevented by warming up properly and stretching the muscles of the outer side of the upper thigh." Hope this helps.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

...---...

sounds like it could be bursitis to me my Sports Medicine self help book says: ice for 20 to 30 min every 4 hours until pain goes away and take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen or aleve It also says "best prevented by warming up properly and stretching the muscles of the outer side of the upper thigh." Hope this helps.
          Hey - thanks for going to the trouble of looking that up. The googling I've done and searching in RA leads me to think it's probably a bursa issue. Although I believe I warm up pretty well, I can't say that I do much in the way of stretching the outer and upper thigh. Thanks again.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

you're welcomeSmile you probably know this, but I'll throw it in anyway: bursitis is inflammation of the bursa

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Trey: sounds painful. Plenty of RICE and hope you can beat this thing quick.

Dutchie
              Run the day, or the day runs you.