2000Km-1243 mile club

May 2015 (Read 9 times)

Dutchie42

I'm not running, but I am starting a new thread. We spent all of April in March. How's that for going back to the future?

Happy: thx for understanding. They already fired one secretary two weeks ago. Who was totallly unawares it might happen. We now have a CFO without an assistant.... There's 4 of us left now. I really don't see how they can fire anyone else, but you never know do you?

Sorry to hear about your hubby. Has he always had hypoglycemia or is this a recent development? Did he see a doctor? Maybe a dietitian can help? Maybe it has to do with how he fuels up inbetween runs?

Ayola: also appreciate your understanding of my situation. Cranky hamstrings can also be caused by stronger quads, compared to the hamstrings. And tight hips. Below exercises you can do while watching your favourite TV show, or do them during a commercial.

Squats are renowned to work your glutes! If your knees are sensitive, don't go further down than a 90 degree angle. Make sure you stick your butt way back out and don't make your knees go past your toes. Pretend you are sitting down in a chair. Nice exercise is to actually have a chair behind you, make the move to sit down but instead hover just above the seat. Then get back up, pushing your weight thru your heels. Not the balls of your feet. If you lift your toes just a tad bit, you will be pushing thru your heels. The slower your down and up movement, the less momentum you have, the more the muscles need to work.  If that's easy, hover for three counts above the seat then get up and repeat.

Another one is curtsy lunges. That one always works my butt.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/curtsy-lunge

Glute bridges are good for your glutes, but also really work your hip flexors. If it's easy, do single leg bridges

You also need to work your hip adductors (I think that's what they're called). You can do that with side leg lifts. Stand with both feet together. Hold a broom or high backed chair to keep your balance if you need to. Then lift one leg to the side. Keep your knee facing forward. Do 8 repeats bringing your foot back to the ground. Then lift your leg again to the side, knee facing forward and hold for 3 counts, and bring back to the ground. Repeat 8 times. Then do the other side. Don't forget to stretch afterwards. If your bored with these, do lying side leg lifts.

Donkey kicks also work your hips well. As do clams (and I don't mean the food). Start with1x12 on each side. And see how it feels.

https://www.google.nl/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=donkey+kicks&oq=donkey+kicks&gs_l=hp.3..0l10.2343.4023.0.4472.13.11.0.2.2.0.153.1177.4j7.11.0.msedr...0...1c.1.64.hp..1.12.1067.0.EBegD8hgVHI

When you do the leg clam, don't let your top foot lie heavily on the bottom one. Just lightly touch.

I don't know how strong you are, so you have to judge how many of these exercises you can do and how often you can do repeats and still be able to walk the next day Smile

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

We spent all of April in March.

goofy!

Hey, we have our own Fitness Coach in Dutchie!  This is why you can't leave the group - we NEED you. Such great info you detailed on those exercises. I have avoided squats because they bother my knees. Now I see it's because I wasn't doing it right. Thanks for the tips!  The glute bridges, clams, leg lifts, and donkey kicks are all in my regular routine - or should be. I need to concentrate on them more.

The bouts of dramatic hypoglycemia (for DH) are new and only happen during running. From reading up on it though, he has other symptoms we did not realize were due to that. It's bizarre because until now he has run quite a few 2 and 3-hour runs with absolutely no problem!  In trying to figure out "why now," the only thing that's changed in the last few weeks is that bananas have been unavailable. He usually eats a few on a daily basis and typically eats a banana before going on a long run.  Why those would prevent a problem, I don't know; but we are hopeful that along with other changes in diet and timing of feeding this will become manageable. As of yesterday, bananas are back in the stores (yay!) and I bought a bunch of dried banana chips as back-up.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hello May!

Thanks so much Dutchie. A variety of exercises to try out, it think I'll do them after work in the warmer part of the day (while making the dinner?) and as much as I enjoy spin class, I think it promotes glutes over hamstrings and does odd things to the hips, repetitive motion...

I'll give it a go and report back.

A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

And don't forget, squats also work your pelvic floor if performed properly. Very important to women Smile

If you're new to these exercises do them in front of a mirror so you can check your form.

I did a LB workout myself this morning (it's a dvd by Cathe Friedrich:Tri-Set). Here's a link. The LB preview starts at 2:11 It consisted of 3 sets of each 3 exercises of 15 reps each. Each set is repeated twice.

Set 1: Wall squats with a ball / forward leaning lunges / side leaning lunges

Set 2: step up lunges  / 1-legged forward leaning lunges  / squats

Set 3: deadlifts / 1-legged balance squats / roll ins with the ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvM-gIVWf7k

Including warm up and stretch, a total of 41 minutes.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

I'll have to check that out when I have more time Dutchie. Lunges are something else I don't do because they bother my knees - prolly don't do 'em right.

I did my usual yoga/pilates session this morning. Among other things, it includes 2x10 of: clams with resistance band, donkey kicks, glute bridges, rear and rear-diagonal leg extensions with resistance band.

I often wish I could fit more in; but when I get up earlier so that I can, I find I lose interest and end up not using the time well.

Tonight is supposed to be a Rest Day from running; so I've got my upper body weight workout planned along with foam rollering and stretching. I'd better get ready for the work day now though! ~A

MTA:

I suppose since I posted I'd do that stuff tonight that I better get to it. Can I just say I'm sooo unmotivated? I'd rather have a glass of wine and go right to bed!

Dutchie42

So Happy, did you do it?

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Yes ma'am. I made a whole grain casserole that baked for an hour, so I had to stay up! Now it's another day beginning with yoga. Today's recurring resolution is to stop trying to manage my stress with food! That's a hard one.

Dutchie42

haha, I manage my stress with Ritter Sport Marzipan Smile How about you and I, and anyone else who feels the need stop buying all the bad foods. If we don't buy it, we don't eat it.

Today I had to work out of town: had to be in the car by 6h30 so this morning was only an abs workout.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

This morning was a back/biceps/core workout.

My foot is feeling much better after about 4 weeks of rest, so I'm now contemplating running again. At least when I walk the dogs. So that would only be like 2-3 kilometers. I can use my treadmill shoes. They have less mileage on them then my road shoes.... I think....  I have gel inserts for the ball of your feet only. If I can find them. I'll go find them.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Walk/running with the dogs is a great way to ease back into it, Dutchie. Hope the shoes/gel inserts worked out well for you.

I hit "snooze" this morning after staying up too late after DH got home from work at 10:30 last night. So, being short on time, I opted for my upper body weight training workout. That always gets my energy level up quickly which I needed this morning. I will need to stretch and foam roll tonight though. Really can't procrastinate on that much longer.  Despite "tapering," my legs are a little tight, sore, and crampy.

Ok, I tried basic squats and wobbly curtsy lunges after an easy 30 minute run this morning outside - no spin class this week.  Beautiful morning! Aparantly I need to do many more sets from what I'm reading here. Everything feels ok to normal after a 10 minutes spent on lower body, so I'll watch the you tube links and try a bit more on Saturday. Tomorrow -  6 miles and stretching. Off to bed early as I woke up super early (and couldn't get back to sleep).

I wish I had a puppy friend to run with, but I live right next to the local ball field/ morning dog park, so I live vicariously... A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

haha, I manage my stress with Ritter Sport Marzipan Smile How about you and I, and anyone else who feels the need stop buying all the bad foods. If we don't buy it, we don't eat it.

There is something to be said for the accountability factor, Dutchie. I had to get groceries on the way home from work tonight. Feeling very stressed out, I was cruising the snack aisles wanting a treat to make me feel better. I recalled your words and told myself "just don't buy it!" Think "solidariity!" as if we'd made a pact. I know what will really help is my run this evening and not eating crap that would ultimately make me feel lousy again.  So now I'm heading out for a run in lovely sunshine and fresh air.

HappyFeat

Ok, I tried basic squats and wobbly curtsy lunges ...Aparantly I need to do many more sets from what I'm reading here. A

Well all I have to say is ease into it. Don't increase too rapidly. Do an easy set a few times a week for a week or so and see how you feel before adding sets.

I can't count the times I've done a new exercise and done too many reps or sets or weights because it felt perfectly fine at the time! Only to get a tweaked or pulled muscle in the next day or so - something that usually impacts my running - and then have to back way off on the new exercise. Err on the side of caution. That's my advice.

Happy - you are wise, as always. Hamstrings are ok this morning, calves require their usual stretch and roll.

I'm taking this morning off (of running) high heart rate, and a bit of coughing and a headache. The husband has been sick so I'm taking care not to get it, it's bacterial so I've avoided it so far. I'm up so I'll spend the extra hour on office work. Maybe a short afternoon run as it will be sunny and warm 15C predicted.

have a great Thursday, A

Recalculating...

Still here......will try and catch up on the posts shortly.

This is the coverage of the ultra I did this year.

Tarawera Ultra 100km

Best watched in HD.

Unfortunately it mostly covers the people at the pointy end of the race. So no appearance by me.

Almost enough to make me want to do it again.  Wonder where DW has hidden the credit cards....

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff