2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in for week 12/8 - 12/14 (Read 281 times)

Dutchie42

Happy Monday everyone! Nothing to report. I've been procrastinating like crazy yesterday so now I'm all stressed cause I have an exam tomorrow. To be honest, I didn't look at the study text till Sat. I already failed the exam once, about 6 weeks ago. I've got today off to cram! Yes, I'm 47 yo and I'm cramming Shy Bicep injury question! Yes you read correctly, I seem to have done something to my R-bicep. All of a sudden on Sun afternoon my bicep hurt. I didn't bump it into anyting, I didn't lift anything heavy, not even groceries. But all of a sudden I had this painful spot high up on my R-bicep. Today, it hurts even more and the area extending down from the painful spot is red and rectangular. It's not swollen. The area feels a bit warm though. Anyone have any ideas?

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

5.8 today with DW and dogs. First time in a long while that we've all run together. Dutchie, that sounds like an insect sting, maybe a spider. Is it possible that you got stung while asleep? You might want to see a doc if it keeps getting worse.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Gig

I had a great weekend. On Saturday, I competed in my first martial arts tournament. To maximize my energy for the tournament, I didn't run that day. That was a mistake. I should have run to warm myself up, like I usually do before class. Oh well, I still had fun. It was an intramural tourny, and it was pretty small. There was only one other adult near my belt level to compete against. In the two competitions, I took a second place trophy for fighting (I'm pretty bad) and first place for my kata (I think I'm pretty good, but I would have done better had I warmed up more.) The trophies don't matter much since there were any two of us, but it was still a good experience. Sunday, I had a remarkably unremarkable 15K workout in that nothing hurt. Last week, I ran very little, enduring the mental pain in order to allow the physical pain to mend. It seems to have worked. This coming Sunday I have a race the same distance, so after I set out to do 8 miles, it took me not long at all to decide to change it to 9.3. It was about 27 degrees F. Being my first really cold run of the season, I dressed warmly. For me that means 2 shirts (1 long sleeved, 1 short), wicking underpants, tights, shorts, a lightweight jacket, and a balaclava. I was a little worried that I might be overcompensating for the cold, and that I'd get really hot a mile or two into the run, but it turned out to be just right. I want to get right back into the mileage. My plan was to be at around 35 to 40 miles per week right now, but I'll probably keep it down to around 30, and build up to where I want to be over the next two weeks. That'll get me to 2,000K, anyway. I started a new upper body program, the One Hundred Pushup Challenge, where you build up to where you can do 100 consecutive pushups. Then, I stopped. I didn't want to be hurting for the karate tourny, so I skipped the Friday workout. I'll start over on Monday. Oh, that's today. Undecided

Dog-Love

Well I will run later this afternoon because I am so close to 1200 miles I may as well just get over that hump. I am still tapering from an October marathon so it will be an easy one. I need a new marathon goal
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

I need a new marathon goal
            50 states. How's that for a goal? Big grin 4 on the treadmill today as it was pouring rain (yea!). I had to go way slow to stay aerobic. DW now wants to do ING Georgia in March, and we signed up for Rock 'n Roll AZ HM in January.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

crappy week for running. I think that 5K last weekend was NOT a goo idea at the pace I went. Could only muster a mile along the Chesapeake Bay - headed back to hotel for the treadmill and only got in another mile. Legs REALLY tight, especially calves. Oh well, I'll give it some rest time and try again this weekend.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

It seems like we're all in the doldrums. I think it will turn around soon. I'm still worried about Dutchie's bicep spider sting (that's my theory and I'm sticking to it). Are you OK, Dutchie?

Gig

I had something like that once, and that was what it was, a spider bite. Anyway, I'd like to hear how she's doing, too. Meanwhile, I'm actually having a pretty good week. I'm done with my marathon recovery, and now I'm upping the mileage. In theory, I'm doing this gradually over the next month or so. In practice, I'm trying to behave, but I'm just not good at it. I start running, and I'm not usually inclined to stop. The pushup plan, on the other hand--blech.
                  Dutchie42

Hello everyone Smile Thanks for worrying guys Blush That's so sweet. We don't have any biting insects here. Except mosquito's and they are gone at temps below 12C. I don't think we have anything poisonous either. Just deer and wild boar in certain areas. Neighbour scared the crap out of me by suggesting it's a blood clot in a superficial vein. Kind a like DVT but not in a deep vein. So thought I'd go see a doc the next day. But by then, the warm bright red area wasn't so red anymore, and not warm at all. And today, well, bicep is still sort of painful when I flex it (like lifting my coffee mug or the remote, not as in watching me in the mirror Clowning around) but no longer red at all. Whatever it was, it's on the mend. Sick kiddo's overhere. Flu I think. Fever, sleepy and in general not feeling well. Told them to stay away from me. I'm such a bad mom, sigh Undecided

Dutchie

Dog-Love

Meanwhile, I'm actually having a pretty good week. I'm done with my marathon recovery, and now I'm upping the mileage. .
                      OK rub it in...I just don't have my usual get up and go. I will wait until you (gig) are 10 miles behind me and then I will fire up for sure. Instead of running today I went out for some beers. Dang! 50 states professor...hmmm.... today I say I don't think so. Tomorrow? Maybe. I can only check off CA and British Columbia. I would have a long way to go
                      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                      Gig

Almost 5 today, AT LUNCH! I've never done a lunchtime run before. Yesterday I did my pushups in a conference room, and occassionally I'll go through some karate drills, but I never tried running at lunch. I read an article in RW about it last night, though, and decided to give it a shot. Their argument was that you can spend 5 minutes getting ready, 40 minutes running, and 15 minutes getting cleaned up. It all worked out just fine. I was right on schedule. Except that they forgot that little tiny detail about EATING at lunch. So, lunch turned into about 75 minutes, plus eating at my desk while working. (Well, technically, I'm calling this post "working.") There was a light rain, which turned into a shower by the time I got back. No big deal, though. I remembered to bring a towel to work, so by the time I was done, I was better looking than when I got in this morning. Blush Hey, Crabby, that "10 miles behind me" thing will be this Sunday or Tuesday if you don't get your groove back. Evil grin

Dog-Love

Hey, Crabby, that "10 miles behind me" thing will be this Sunday or Tuesday if you don't get your groove back. Evil grin
                          I will be honored when you pass me...my groove is kinda gone. Finals week...Grading like crazy...new administration that is making me crazy...kids need rides everywhere..and well there is the snow. Let's see...Ran 4.5 this morning in the dark and...will stay in front as long as I can but give me a high five at least when you pass!!! Oh BTW....we love to run at lunch here at the University...we call them "nooners"
                          Gig

Actually, my math is pretty bad. I would have been 20 miles behind. You've got a bit more reprieve. You'll make the 2,000K, won't you Crabby. It's looking like I'll cross that line around Christmas day.
                            Dutchie42

First did an UB endurance workout pyramid style. Finished it up with an abs w/o: 8 exercises of 1min each: 60 sec side planks, 30 sec each side 30 sec straight arm planks with 30 sec pyramid pushups 60 sec crunches with 3kg db 60 sec straight arm planks 60 sec reverse crunches with 3kg db 60 sec plank lateral raises, 30 sec each side 60 sec oblique crunches, 30 sec each side 60 sec bent arm planks (I miserably failed this last one). Then followed up with a TM run. Had 20min planned. While doing the warm up for 3min@9K I decided to do intervals pyramid style: 2min@10K 90sec@11K 60sec@12K 30sec@13K I did 3min@9K recovery inbetween intervals. Once I got up the pyramid I also wanted to go down the pyramid, making my run longer. Now going down the pyramid was really tough! I totally ran out of steam at the 5.5K mark. By then I wanted to do at least 6K so I just toughed it out. When my feet were in sync with the music it got a little easier. In the end I ran 6.58K total. Had a LB w/o planned but felt like my legs had had a pretty hard w/o already. When I was taking my shoes off I saw my aerobics shoes lying around, sigh. Oh well, I can do a short LB with light weights, right? Forward lunges, squats, backward lunges, deadlifts, plie squats. Gig&Crabby, go go go all the way to the finish Wink ETA: the different ab exercises incase anyone was interested.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

I actually found out what the problem in my R-foot is: inflammation of the peroneal brevis tendon where it attaches to my foot. There's a bump on the side of your foot? That's where the tendon attaches and that's where the pain starts. Treatment: ice when it hurts, stretches and sports massages. Guess the not stretching religiously like I used to may have caused this.

Dutchie