2000Km-1243 mile club

weekly check-in 26 Jan-1 Feb (Read 358 times)

Dutchie42

Woke up with a massive headache. Did crawl out of bed but decided not to work out if I needed a pain killer first. Had a leisurely morning with coffee and the internet instead. BUT by 6AM I felt much better, so a quick change and a 5K easy run (making up for yesterday's missed run) plus 50 minutes of LB endurance training. And a nice stretch, ofcourse. Was finished by 7h50 AM. Then I had to really hurry up: shower, iron clothes, breakfast, watch the news. Made it to work by 8h50AM. Not bad, eh?

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dog-Love

Good job Dutchie!!! I squeezed 2 miles in before a very intense yoga class. I am not very balanced so I am trying to improve that through yoga I like running better
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

I run for Fried Chicken!

Low mileage week because I'm running a 5k on Sunday. I'm debating if I should do a short easy 2 mile run tomorrow. Any advice? I'm nervous about the 5k, not sure why. 23:30 is my goal. Under 23 would be an awesome blow my mind time. Over 24 and I would be disappointed in myself.
        Jill_B

I fly.

Low mileage week because I'm running a 5k on Sunday. I'm debating if I should do a short easy 2 mile run tomorrow. Any advice? I'm nervous about the 5k, not sure why. 23:30 is my goal. Under 23 would be an awesome blow my mind time. Over 24 and I would be disappointed in myself.
          I hear lots of folks say that they like to run easy the day before a race. I personally prefer to take 2 days off before even short races. That being said, my times are usually better when I do run the day or two before the race. So either way you should be fine. Good luck with breaking 24 minutes. I'm hoping to do that this year. I will be running 10 miles on my treadmill tomorrow. HOPEFULLY not while watching Mickey Mouse or Cars. But possibly while watching the Backyardigains.

Bring it on.

AnneCA

But you could get a good groove on with the Backyardigans, Jill! I suppose that's the danger, isn't it? Walking around the rest of the day singing "yeti, yeti, yeti" to yourself. . . . Oh, yes, I've been there. Dutchie -- I always feel better after coffee. Aaron -- I agree you'd be fine either way, but I always like getting in an easy run the day before. I will probably do that tomorrow, in advance of the half on Sunday. Good luck with your time goal! I'm not doing a good job of keeping my mileage low this week in advance of the HM, but I'm feeling good, so, why not? The weather forecast for the race is fantastic. I did 2:04 at my last HM in November, and expect about the same this time, although this race will be substantially less hilly. I don't want to go crazy and tell myself I'll sub-2:00 though. I'd be really happy with another 2:04, honestly, although something less than that would be nice too. Thanks for the encouragement on the low week next week. It turns out running the Friday morning before the procedure would be a bad idea, because I'm not even supposed to drink water after midnight the night before. But, at my pre-op meeting with my doc this morning, he said he didn't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to run again on Sunday. So, yay!
            Dutchie42

Another great TM run. Planned 45 minutes or 6.5K. Started running at 9K/h. About 35:30min into my run the music went faster so I increased my speed to 9.5K/h to keep up. It felt so great I ran 10K. 65 minutes here and gone in a second! Three really easy runs in a row. Statistically, this means I'm gonna be in long run hell tomorrow Tongue Aaron: I always run the day before a race. Even the day before my marathon, I ran an easy 5K. Don't put so much emphasis on your finish time. Lots of factors come into play here. It would be a shame if you didn't make goal and you're disappointed in yourself. There's loads of people who can't even make it to the corner and you're running a 5K! Enjoy your race, it'll be fun! Ann: great to hear you'll be back to running that quick after surgery.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

OMG.... I've just come back from the biggest sporting goods store in the area.... OMG, I just saw the greatest treadmill ever! It's much wider than mine. And has a TV screen mounted on top !!! And it can increase speed by 0.1km increments!!! It looks soooo sleek. I want it. I need it. OMG and it's only (insert sarcasm) 3000 euro's Shocked about 3,840.91 USD Surprised My youngest son Jim was with me so I turned to him and said: guess we're spending the summer vacation on the treadmill sweetie! Go right ahead mom, that old thing you got doesn't go fast enough for me. I'm like, what!!! Turns out he's been sneakily running on the treadmill for a month now. When he was 12 he could run 5K in 16 minutes (and he wasn't racing). Good thing that store is not right in my neighbourhood.

Dutchie

TRIing to beat the heat!

Been suffering on and off with a cold since last Monday, so today is another rest day for me (that's two in one week, which is a bit unusual for me). Tomorrow I have 13 miler planned... my last long run before my 1/2 marathon on Feb15th. Planning on running the last 5 or 6 miles at HMP... that is, if my sniffling, sneezing, stuffy nose will let me. Roll eyes

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Jill_B

I fly.

My stinking treadmill shut off when I was almost done with my 10 miler today. So frustrating. I need a new one ASAP. But on the plus side, my son watched TV in another room so I was able to watch a movie while I ran, much better. Oh and my favorite Backyardigans song is "We gotta hold on tight with all our viking might"... Smile Tomorrow is boot camp!

Bring it on.

...---...

I'm down with a cold or something - feel like crap so have been laying off the runs. Not sure if I'll go out and do a long-ish one today. Based on how my head feels, I'm staying in. Things will pick up though. Got a 1/2 mara this weekend so don't want to lay off too much OR run too much and get sicker. Happy superbowl day - Ciao.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I run for Fried Chicken!

Finished my 5k in 23:50. That's my watch time, should be pretty close to official time. It was off my goal of 23:30 but it was a hilly course so not too bad all things considered. As usual, I started off way too fast, ran the first mile in 6:55 and that was with me telling myself to slow down and traffic in the beginning. Had to fight through some people. Also had some stomach issues, I really had to go to the bathroom around 1.5 miles into the race on an uphill section. Overall, pretty happy with my time. Official results should be online tomorrow.
                        Jill_B

I fly.

Great job AaronC! I ran 2 miles, did the boot camp class and slowly ran home. My legs are pretty sore from the class and will probably hurt more tomorrow. But I'm hoping to start the week off right with a good 4 miler.

Bring it on.

Imminent Catastrophe

It was (finally) a beautiful day here, so DW and I and the dogs did a nice 6-miler. The local hillbillies' beagle had puppies so now we're being chased by 7 dogs! Why don't people spay?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AnneCA

Great job, Aaron -- sounds like you did really well, considering the challenges. It is hard not to go out too fast. Well, I think I'll end up with a sub-2:00 on my HM. Cool The clock was showing 2:00:20 when I crossed, but chip time will take about a minute off that, I think. I don't have a watch time, because I was an idiot. I had this brilliant idea to do the laps manually based on the mile markers instead of using Garmin auto-laps, which is what I usually do. Except I kept hitting the start/stop button instead of the lap button, and then not noticing for a half mile. So my watch tells me that I ran four separate segments totalling eight miles, or something like that. Like I said, I don't have a watch time because I was an idiot. I did start furiously trying to do math in my head starting around mile 8, saying "hey . . . . I could do sub-2 . . . ." I had to hold it at 8:50 or so for the last four miles to do this. That really kind of sucked toward the end, especially since one of the only uphill sections of the course was from 12:75-finish. But I did it! (well, kind of . . . not to start a whole chip time/gun time debate . . . .) Perfesser -- glad you got out to enjoy the weather. Trey -- hope you're feeling better for your HM next weekend.

Imminent Catastrophe

Anne, great job, sub 2:00! Congrats! I've done that with my watch a bunch of times. Plus I forgot to turn off auto-pause on my Garmin in my last race so the time was off. When you are running a race there is less bloodflow to the brain so you make more mistakes. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! Big grin Anyway I've committed to the Mercedes HM in Birmingham on the 15th. I'm not really trained for it but should be able to finish without too much pain, if I take it easy. Should be a fun race!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016