2000Km-1243 mile club

June Already? (Read 486 times)

Just got the call that the plant has tripped.  Back on 12 hour nights!  This is like a zombie outage...it just won't die.

Hey Pukekura and drphibes - how are you guys doing?

Hi All

been away for work (team building) all of last week. In a place called Kerikeri - real nice  Actually managed to get 3 good runs in as a bunch of us were keen to get up and go running in the morning.  Did a mix of trails and road, which led to a really nice waterfall....unfortunately it was still a bit dark for photos.

Went out for a run on Sunday but about 4 km it went from heavy rain to bucketing down so only ended up doing 9km.

Hopefully get out tomorrow morning and again over the weekend.  There are some hilly MTB trails not far from home so thought I might try running them.

Got a copy of Relentless Forward Progress in the mail while I was away, so been reading that...hasn't put me off doing an ultra yet.

Nice pictures Happy, I will have to see if I can get some shots of the rural area I run in.

Good runs for you and Ayola.  Hope work improves Heffa, and that ankle gets better PerfesserR.

So NZRun...did you do the Wellington 1/2?  A couple of people I know did the marathon and said the weather was nasty.

Anyway, that's me, still alive and running.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Jeff! I hope this means lots of vacation in the fall... A

Recalculating...

Hey Pukekura and drphibes - how are you guys doing?

Thanks for asking! I've been slogging away in the heat.  At least we've started to get regular rain so its not been as brutally hot and there's been some overcast to run in.  Raced the RC Cola/Moonpie Festival 10-miler Saturday.  It's uphill for the first 4.5 miles (with a steep climb at the end), then downhill for 4 before they sneak in one last long hill and then a down hill .75 to the finish.  Third time I've run this one and it was definitely the best weather, but still warm (mid-70s) and humid.  No matter how I try to rein it in, I still break on that last hill.  Still a 10-mile PR by about 4 minutes, but at a pace 15 seconds/mile slower than my half marathon PR.

Starting to gear up for the fall.  I'm thinking Chickamauga Marathon in mid-November. Time to start training.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Jeff! I'm so bummed for you and what this means for your running...probably beaucoup bucks... but having to sacrifice running - I don't know if there is adequate compensation for that!  Do you have a yearly running plan that accommodates this seasonal shift increase? If it happened regularly, I think I'd have to plan for it.

Glad to hear puke is alive and runningCool Mmmm trail running to a waterfall sounds wonderful!

Hey Brian, good job improving your time on the 10-miler. I'll think I'll keep an eye on how you train for your fall marathon. Not that I'm going in that direction. Just curious how you get there from where you are. 

My fitness has improved so much in the last year, I almost think I could do a marathon.  I said almost. I don't really think so. We'll see. My goal (in life) has always been "to see how far I could comfortably run" and I haven't arrived at the answer yet. My farthest distance so far remains at 16 miles.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, I'm out of Tahoe. It's frustrating, but a few weeks ago I ran a solid 100k, now I can't run a mile. I can still work out on the elliptical or set the treadmill at 8-10% and get a good workout but I'm having trouble getting motivated to even do that. And all that hard-earned conditioning is slipping away every day. And I really miss running the trails. This sport sure has its ups and downs! My new avatar reflects my current condition. 

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. I did something positive, I'm now working with a trainer, working on overall strength and conditioning, something I've long neglected. I think in the long run it will be really good for me and help prevent future injuries. 

You all keep up with the updates, you're keeping me motivated!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Sorry to hear about the setback Russ.  I know you will work your way through it and somehow come out stronger.  The PT sounds like a great thing to work on in the meantime.  You can borrow my ankle for a couple of weeks since I am barely using it.

Good weekend.  1 1/2 bottles red wine on Friday....Dead Then 12km on the road Saturday.  Followed that with 11km of trails on Sunday.  Local MTB tracks in pine and native forest around the water storage lake. Wish I had taken my camera....  Very wet and slippery so great fun.

Good work for the PR Drphibes, You seem to having a year for PRs.

Happy....sounds like a marathon could be definitely be doable for you.  Only one way to know if you can do one....Warning....addiction is a possibily.

PerfesserR...maybe a rest is what you need. Good that you can work on your core strength, something I need to do.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Perfesser - I guess it will be good to give that ankle a full rest. I've been enjoying working with a trainer, its challenging in a different way - I hope you like it too...

Nothing special here, I ran a cold and rainy 8 miles to the local marina on Saturday, and basked in the first hot day of the summer yesterday, this morning - light cardio on the bike.

Happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

I ran a cold and rainy 8 miles to the local marina on Saturday

What is this "cold" you speak of?

I'm off the 12 hour night shifts again, hopefully for good this time.  Short cycled my sleep schedule so I kept it short and easy today.  3.5 miles with temps in the high 80's (even though I waited until after 7PM).  Better than the 96F it was this afternoon.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've put in some good time on the treadmill and elliptical, treadmill at 7-10% and a brisk pace is a pretty good workout, and elliptical on hill program is too. I'm still planning on running or walking Peachtree next week. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

A hot day in Halifax (yesterday, it was great) is 75*F! I dont want to see +85 unless its connected to an ocean and a pina colada. Glad you guys are getting out there despite the heat and injuries.  A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Checking in for the weekend...ran 14 this morning....went better than the last 14M a couple weeks ago...could have used more to drink....not used to the sunshine...sweated buckets in the first half. I overheat easily. A breeze in my face on the way back was nice. 

My first run wearing a cap..never wore one before...always a visor...even for rain...well then I might wear my rain jacket and the visor.  Anyway, (a) it didn't look as bad as I thought it would and (b) what a treat not to have hot sweaty hair. I put it all up in the cap which is made of stretchy material. The sides are mesh which absorbed all the sweat and let cool air in...my head was cool the whole way...I'm sold!

This is my new cap

HappyFeat

Hey Jeff - notice you've had a great running week - way to bounce back into it! Good for you!

Happy - Yeah, it's been a good week and great to get back into the swing of things.  I've even managed to keep from over doing it.  It's frustrating how much fitness I've lost but I'm just going to have to take my time and put the work in again.  Nice find with the new hat.  I run all of my miles with a hat (mostly to protect the areas that don't have much sun protection).