2000Km-1243 mile club

May 2012 (Read 303 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm getting into the hot time of the year, my last couple of runs have been in the heat and it's really not fun. 13 on Sunday and I was just dragging, legs tired, Heart rate way up and afterward I was just wasted. THen a track workout on Monday, it felt so hard to keep up a pace that feels "moderate" in cooler weather. Today, on the treadmill in a stuffy, humid room, same result. Yuck. My next goal race is Utah Valley in 3 weeks, I'm hoping to run a fast time and it should be nice and cool in Provo!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

I agree with you, Puke, "dark and cold" is not very motivating running weather. That's when a treadmill comes in handy.  Planning a 45 mile run around your neighborhood does sound like like it could spur you on though.  You've gotta know that helping your son with his running will end up being so much more - he'll remember your encouragement and support for the rest of his life.

What is the distance of the Utah race, PerfesserR?  If you are training in heat and the race weather is cool, that's good isn't it? Miserable slogging, but good in the end? Honest question. Not really sure.

I ran 4 miles tonight - hamstrings a little crampy, but otherwise ok. We have a Memorial Day 10K here next Monday put on by Park & Rec. I'm not so sure I'll be "race ready," but I can at least use it as my tempo run for the week.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Staying at a hotel tonight and dropping off DW in the morning for her transplant.  All the waiting is finally over.

I think I may have found my next challenge.

After feeling sluggish as it was dark and cold down this way, I have gone and put my name down for a 75km "training run" on The Hillary Trail.  The really interesting thing is that it starts at midnight and is next month so the middle of our winter.  So at least two thirds of it I will be running in the dark and it will be cold. Go figure.  Supposedly the scenery is quite stunning, but I won't see most of it Smile

Still got to sort out some logistics i.e. find someone dumb enough to meet me at various points along the track in the middle of the night (luckily a few road access points along the way), and need to start collecting a few bits of kit such as wet weather gear, running backpack etc.

Good luck for your 10k "tempo" run Happy.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Staying at a hotel tonight and dropping off DW in the morning for her transplant.  All the waiting is finally over.

Hoping it all goes well. Best wishes from NZ

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

I think I may have found my next challenge....

So at least two thirds of it I will be running in the dark and it will be cold. Go figure.  

Thanks Puke, I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of your next challenge....to test your fortitude?

Jeff - hope all goes smoothly for your wife tomorrow. Also hope you can get a good night's sleep tonight.  We are keeping you in our thoughts.

So Russ I was listening to a podcast on breathing for runners yesterday. It said that running in heat, your blood goes to your body surface to cool you and away from your muscles. This causes "aerobic metabolism" (whatever that is) which causes production of lactic acid which causes the breathing to become shallower and faster.    That makes me think there's no advantage to training in the heat for a cooler race.  If the muscles aren't getting enough oxygen, how the heck can you "train" them? ....hmmm...I dunno....it's just what I heard...likely oversimplified

....I'm on a search for how to overcome my huffing and puffing syndrome when "racing." 

I've come to the conclusion that #1 I need to more fully warm up before increasing my pace and

#2 I simply need to build more stamina at the increased pace.

Imminent Catastrophe

I think I may have found my next challenge.

After feeling sluggish as it was dark and cold down this way, I have gone and put my name down for a 75km "training run" on The Hillary Trail.  The really interesting thing is that it starts at midnight and is next month so the middle of our winter.  So at least two thirds of it I will be running in the dark and it will be cold. Go figure.  Supposedly the scenery is quite stunning, but I won't see most of it Smile

Still got to sort out some logistics i.e. find someone dumb enough to meet me at various points along the track in the middle of the night (luckily a few road access points along the way), and need to start collecting a few bits of kit such as wet weather gear, running backpack etc.

Hey Brian, I have a solution. Just cover my airfare and expenses to New Zealand and I'd be happy to crew for you. It's a win-win!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Imminent Catastrophe

heffa, I wish you both the best! Happy, I train in the heat because I live here and have no choice. And lately my employer has been sending me to hot, humid places, like yesterday in Miami. Hot and humid! It's either go for a run in the heat, or sit in the bar and drink beer. So I went for a run, THEN sat in the bar and drank beer. Win-win! But seriously, I find that after a lot of running in hot weather, a run in cool weather tends to be really good and fast. So I'm hoping for that.

Praying and thinking good thoughts over here in TN.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

Heffa: {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Puke: good luck and have fun. I think?

Me: I'mon a running streak... day 8 today. All very short runs, but at least its happening.

Dutchie
                      Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Me: I'mon a running streak... day 8 today. All very short runs, but at least its happening.

It's a Happening! Welcome back Dutchie and hurray for a Running Streak!

Thanks for all the well wishes, I really appreciate it.  DW is checked in and started with her 3 days of high dose whole body irradiation.  Those are some pretty scary numbers to me.  I work in the nuclear industry and getting just one of her 6 treatments would exceed my life time allowable dose.  She's not the first to do it so I guess they know what they are doing.

Took advantage of my time in Richmond to explore their urban trail system.  That is some cool stuff!  Did a 7 mile loop around the James River canal and Belle Island.  The terrain varied from sidewalks, to steps, to ramps, to bridges, to trails, it was very fun.

Belle Isle foot bridge

HappyFeat

It's an unbelievably beautiful day here today. Blue skies, sunshine, all the trees are leafed out and everything is blooming.  Got up early for my run so I could make a massage appt at 11:00. It was all worth it. Ran 12 miles on the paved bike trail rolling hills route, focusing on pace, posture, breathing, relaxing and enjoying the peaceful surroundings.  I did a cooldown walk and some stretches at the neighboring stables with a view of the mountains and green pastures with horses and cows grazing in the foreground. Idyllic.  Now back to Real Life.

Getting back on track this lovely morning - going for an easy 3.5. Wedding trip + work + house hunting + a minor groin pull from the gym = no running in two weeks.

I'm going to put my racing on hold until I get back on schedule and feel like the whirlwind has calmed down.

Jeff - I'm thinking of you and you family. Have a great Sunday! A

MTA -spacing and less miles

Recalculating...

Had a choice yesterday, dog show with the family, or a trail run.

So spent 2 hours trying to run over some really rough, slippery, hilly terrain, with some stream crossings thrown in.

Eventually gave up trying to avoid the mud and just ran through it....

BTW the dog won her class

Goals 2016

Do stuff