2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly mileage check-in week of 12 May (Read 356 times)

Dutchie42

Hello everyone, New week, new chances of making it a good one. Haven't been around much last week, but I expect to be back as normal as of this week. I assume everone did great last week. If I missed any big news, fill me in Smile

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

Yesterday, 11 May was MARATHON DAY, my first one! Haven't got a big race report. Not sure what to tell. It was 25C... yes it was ridiculously warm.I don't like running at those temps. My training was badly effected by the flu (Feb), a hip injury from running in a bad storm (March and it was a stupid idea) and a knee injury just 4 weeks before race day (April, thanks Spooky). And my food has been crappy for the past two weeks because of this remodelling going on in my house. When I entered for this race, I assumed it would be something like 5 hours. After the knee injury, I was thinking 5h30. When I knew how warm it was gonna be, I was thinking more like 6 hours and with the crappy food in mind maybe even DNF. Anyways, I traveled to the town of Vise in Belgium on Friday after work. Spent Saturday wandering around town. Then joined a Dutch group during the pasta party. Went to bed in time. Sunday morning I was up late and I was very very nervous. I knew my training hadn't been optimal. And that I don't do well at high temps. Walked to the Place de la Reine where the marathon would start and got there 45min. early. Vise had a very festive feel to it. Some people were dressed up: a knight (no shining armour), a clown, an Indian girl, a French maid from the French revolution, a Scott dressed in a kilt and even Jesus was participating, including his cross (no offense). Anyways, there were about 700 runners at the start of the marathon. They all took off really fast. I tried not to go too fast but I didn't want to be left behind either. So my early mileage was a bit faster than advisable: 6:30-6:40min/K. Waaaay too fast. I slowed down but was still going at 6:55. Still too fast.I finally managed to drop my pace after the first waterstation at 5K. Going at 7:25. I made a real effort to slow down. There were water stations at every 2.5K once we passed the first one at 5K. I chatted with everyone in my basic French. Had so much water I could feel the water move in my stomach. Had I swallowed a tiny boat, it would have gone under...Wink Paths were initially asphalt. There were some long concrete stretches in Belgium and those darn cobble stones in Maastricht (Holland). Hate cobble stones. They wreak havoc on my ankles and knees cause they are rounded and unevenly formed. I had to be so careful where I put my feet. My pace slowed down massively after the half way point. The sun did a marvelous job in slowing me down. It was tough. I was surprised that I didn't have to pee at all. You guys know how often I jump behind trees in training. I managed OK till 30K. I started to get tired. I was looking for that darn wall everyone talks about, but didn't find it. I kept going at a tantalising slow pace. I was passing people now. And some had collapsed on the grass beside the path. Ha, they shouldn't have run so fast. When I saw the 40K sign, I started crying. Nononono crying before the finish. But when I finally finished, no crying. In short, I ran the entire marathon except when at waterstations where I spent too much time chatting with the volunteers. I drank too much water to the point where I couldn't stand having another sip. I emptied my 2x10oz bottles of sport drink along the way. Had 3 gels / gu. Ate gingerbread, bananas and oranges. Took a bow for people clapping, cheering and encouraging me at the 39K mark. Did a little dance whenever live bands were playing. And applauded them. Said hello and thank you in two languages (hallo, bon jour, dank je wel, merci) to every volunteer stopping traffic or showing the way and gave them my happiest smile. Though at the end, I'm sure it was some sort of contorted grin. Oh yes, I am also very sure I saw the same volunteer at FOUR different places. I swear! And finished in 5h15 and change. Placed 685 of approx. 700 runners of which some had DNF'ed. Event: www.maasmarathon.com Afters, I walked the 1.5K back to the hotel surprising myself I could still walk, wearing my medal and bib still pinned to my running skirt. It was a well organised marathon with incredible scenery and some historic sites. Guess I had more to tell than I thought I did when I started writing this Wink And in all honesty, even if it had been a perfect day for running, I don't think I wouldn't have been much faster, if at all. BTW, two weeks ago I registered for the Amsterdam Marathon. LOL hadn't even finished the first one LOL Guess I have to work on running a little faster now Wink

Dutchie

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Dutchie! Wow, 25 C = 77 F. That's incredibly hot! I'm impressed you did so well. And you've already signed up for another one! That's great. Have a good week recovering!

Imminent Catastrophe

Very nice race and report, Dutchie! I didn't know that race went through two countries! You did really well considering the heat, and made a few mistakes but they didn't hurt you. Cobblestones? Ouch! That's a really bad running surface. When is Amsterdam? You might consider putting this RR in the "racing" forum!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Hello Perfesser, Amsterdam is on 19 October. So got a few months to work on speed. Care to join me? I'll empty a room for you to stay Wink The only time I ran faster, was when I ran with my two speedy boys (the real ones, not the dogs). They can both run a 5K in sub 17min. Or used to anyway. Marathon went thru the old and very historic part of Maastricht (think Roman empire). It's still the old cobble stones and some newer ones when they restored parts of it. Teresa: thanks. Yes, 25C is hot in my book. I take -2C anyday. For running.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Results are online now: 46 runners DNF'ed and 4 DSQ. How do you disqualify for a race? What did they do?

Dutchie

A Saucy Wench

Woooooohoooooo Dutchie!!!!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I run for Fried Chicken!

Go Dutchie! Incidentally, I saw someone with a license plate that said 'dutchy' this weekend and it made me think of you. Ran a quick 3.5 tonight. All my runs have been felt really easy lately. It's almost like I was on this plateau for a while and I just went to the next level.

A Saucy Wench

Lol..Aaron, I think you stole my easy. All of my runs have been HARD lately...including one I actually quit and called dh to come get me. I think I am still sick 3 miles on the dreadmill this morning and my legs hurt.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dutchie42

Thanks guys. Did a lower body workout this morning: front and back lunges, static lunges, (plie) squats, deadlifts, stability ball ex. for the tibialis, calf raises. Went a little lighter on the weights than I usually do. Here's a question though: given other people's reports I was expecting to have very sore legs, problems with moving around, etc. But mine weren't. A bit stiff knees, that's all. Didn't do any workout yesterday, but was running up/down the stairs in house often. What was it in my training / nutrition / hydration that apparently made my recovery this good? I'd really l;ike to know so I can repeat it for my next marathon Wink

Dutchie

Dog-Love

Great job on the race Dutchie I meant to run 10 today. My 12 year old wanted to run with me for a bit so we did a loop near our house (3.6) with our dogs and I just decided to be done after that. I want to run a long slow one and I guess I will try that tomorrow.
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

... What was it in my training / nutrition / hydration that apparently made my recovery this good? ...
                          Looks like you did everything right! Mainly, quality mileage in training. Good work!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice job, Dutchie! Big grin missed my lunch run yesterday, so I ran 6 on the dreadmill last night. Today is supposed to be speed of some kind, but it depends on what time I get out. I bailed on parts of 2 speed workouts last week because of heat. If I run too late in the afternoon or it's too hot today, I'm just gonna run easy.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

I consider running in heat its own kind of speedwork Tongue Cool that you feel so good Dutchie! I couldnt sit on the toilet after my first marathon I hurt so bad.Of course I was injured for 2 months prior to the marathon and basically did the marathon off the couch. STUPID but I had raised all that charity money.... Ugh I have my trail run tonight...not looking forward to that. I just laid out my 18 week training plan for the Portland Marathon. It scares me Shocked

Dog-Love

I consider running in heat its own kind of speedwork Tongue Cool that you feel so good Dutchie! I couldnt sit on the toilet after my first marathon I hurt so bad.Of course I was injured for 2 months prior to the marathon and basically did the marathon off the couch. STUPID but I had raised all that charity money.... Ugh I have my trail run tonight...not looking forward to that. I just laid out my 18 week training plan for the Portland Marathon. It scares me Shocked
                                How can you not look forward to a trail run??? Hey Ennay...I am running Marathon in October (Victoria) and I guess I should be thinking of laying out a training plan...Is yours custom for you? Hard to believe its almost 18-weeks out
                                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)