2000Km-1243 mile club

July (Read 16 times)

HappyFeat

Welcome back, Ayola!

Pretty exciting event this weekend following Russ. 15 miles to go and in 106th place. ( I think when I read 24th, it was for that particular checkpoint list.) Anyway, seems like he's moving along quite steadily.  Am eager to hear his story.

You sure had a full running weekend, Puke, complete with a trembler! Did your daughter notice it?

Years ago, I used to push my old dog (65 lb) in a converted buggy while I ran. I even entered us in a bike race with her as the wheeled entrant.Big grin It was a small event, in a rural area beside a river with apple orchards and vineyards lining the route....have never forgotten the experience....so much fun.  Still have the buggy...it is one you can hook to a bike or convert to a push-stroller.  It was amazingly light and easy to maneuver.  At that time, DH used to ride his bike and tow her when I ran my 14 to 16-mile LR. Once he took a curve too fast; she fell out and bloodied her nose!  A seatbelt was then installed in the buggy.

Update:  Russ has reached 93 miles!!! Thrilling!

and.....he FINISHED!!!! Terrific! Congratulations!!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Far out. 32:45. Gonna love to hear that story. Great job russ

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, it was really hot out there. 98°F at the start/finish, 94°F at the middle aid station. 2 hospitalized for heat stroke and a 50% drop rate. Yikes. Spectacularly beautiful course though, and at times I could run without a light under the full moon. What  a great memory.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Perfesser: every time I show my face here, you just did another incredible feat. Sounds like a wonderful run.

Where did everyone go? All on vacation?

Me: after a two month lay off due to school I'm restarting again. I'm done with the courses. Just one big paper to write in the fail and I'm done. I'm just having trouble finding a proper topic for the paper. In the mean time, my bosses are taking full advantage of my newly gained knowledge. I just wish they'd pay me for it as well.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Hi Dutchie!  I'm still here...still running....got 14 miles planned for tomorrow. Should be a beautiful day. We are having a Real Summer this year, with sunshine and temps around 70F. Some times we get nothing except a few weeks in September, but this summer has been amazing! I'm loving it!!!

MTA Sat. a.m.   Slow start to the day....can't get my wheels going in the right direction...ugh.

Yup still here, done vacationing and getting back on track (again) I'm looking at you tube videos on how to tape my foot for a PF flare up. I'm running 8 mikes tomorrow, looks like the endless humidity and rain soon...

how are you, Dutchie?

mta: fixed the wacky autocorrect

Recalculating...

Vacation here too.  Just got back from Fort Lauderdale from a "business" trip.  I'll catch up on the board a little later.  Time to get out for a bloated post-vacation run and some yard work.

Dutchie42

Ayola: I'm good. I finished my school courses on 29 June. Still waiting for the grade on my last paper. I'm trying to hold on to an 8.0 grade avg. Still have one final paper to write but that's not due till 15 December. My bosses are taking full advantage of my newly acquired knowledge, meaning I have loads of extra responsibilities, above my pay grade I may add, but don't think a raise is in the books. My job got way more interesting though. And who knows what it might lead to.

About two weeks after my last exam I finally started to relax, which is when I started exercising and running again. It's been two weeks so far of tiny babysteps.....

How was your vacation? Where did you go? Careful with the PF, I hear that can linger for a long time.

Happy: did you get your run in? Any big races planned? We've had an awful spring, but summer is really nice here too. A bit too hot at times.

Heffa: Fort Lauerdale, eh? Sounds really nice.

Dutchie

Vacations all round, I took a week off, but we didn't go anywhere. Just relaxed around the house.

Sunday went on a 13 km trail run in Rotorua, but added in a bit more difficulty by putting the daughter in the buggy.

Parts were forestry road which was fine, but the technical downhill mountain bike trail, complete with deep ruts made it interesting.

Finished in 1:38 which I was happy with given the extra upper body workout from man-handling the buggy over trees, steps and ruts, and pushing up hills.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Sounds like a strenuous workout, Puke - but fun as well.

Yes, Dutchie, I finally made it out for my run on Saturday. It went super! No problems at all. My pace is coming up slightly as my form improves with the PT - which I'm excited to see. Every time I see him though the PT gives me a new exercise and I get some new twinge. This time it's the left adductor - yeow - tight and tender as can be. So  I'll back off on that exercise for a few days and then add it in to the routine more slowly.

I take a couple weeks off from the board and everybody did some great stuff!  Great job everybody.  Especially Russ as usual.  I can only dream of completing a 100 miler....awesome job!

I spent the last week in Florida on a business trip and was lucky enough to be able to take the family with me.  I just had to pay for their plane tickets.  We were there for 6 days but I only had 2 and a half days of meetings so we got a decent amount of goofing off in.  A little too much relaxing and too much food.  Time to pick up the training a little.

Bad week.  Went away for a work trip and left my running shoes behind.  Then get back home and had a tummy bug since.. So no running at all this week.  Could have gone out for a short run today but didn't want to get caught out too far from the toilet. :-)

So, how has everyone else been getting on?

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Hope you feel better soon, Puke. That's a bummer about forgetting to pack running shoes. Given the unscheduled break in training, how are you feeling about your upcoming race?

I've only lived here since 2000, but lifelong residents say there's never been a summer with as much sunshine as this one.  It has been quite a treat!  I think the weather is starting to change though Sad

My running week went smoothly.  I'm still diligently doing my physical therapy and seeing the benefits.  It turns out my recurring right  AT/calf tightness is actually an overworked soleus due to the weak right glute.  So, I'm applying myself to activating and strengthening my butt!  Yesterday's 14-miler went very well. I had no complaints from the soleus and the glute muscles definitely felt the extra effort.

In light of all this progress, and since I've got a PT on my "team" at the moment, after I ran that 18-miler a couple weeks ago,  I decided to sign up for the Victoria marathon on October 13.  I still can't believe I did that! The idea in the back of my mind was always that I'd slowly work up to the marathon distance, but I feel the conditions are right and I'm very motivated. So we'll see how it all goes. As soon as I registered, my brain exploded to the far corners of the universe and I couldn't gather my thoughts to settle on a plan.....soooooo rattled!  My solution was to engage a coach and now I feel better about going forward with this craziness.Smile

How's everyone else's running going?

Dutchie42

Happy: good on you for signing up for the marathon. Somewhere in the back of my mind something like a 2015 marathon is taking shape. Scary thought Shocked But for now I'm trying to get back into a routine. Set myself the goal of a pathetic 50 kilometers for the month. But considering my mileage this year, that's almost a third of what I've done so far Roll eyes

Nice, having a PT in your team. You should make full use of his knowledge.

Dutchie

Still no running, I am mostly better but rest of family got sick....luckily not with what I had.

Happy - my training schedule, if i ever really had one has been completely shot to bits.  Oh well, never mind.  Talking with another runner today also doing the 66 km run, and we both independently seem to be of the opinion that it is only a short run so we don't really need to train to finish.  Amazing how your attitude changes over time.  Although I am shitting myself about the 24 hour race in October.

So is that your first marathon Happy?

Good luck with the 50 target Dutchie.

Goals 2016

Do stuff