2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in:27 September - 3 October (Read 336 times)

Wow, where are the months going? This is my favorite time of year and it is slipping by! I'm working on sightseeing along the northern coast of Nova Scotia (Digby area) after the race and a trip to Montreal/ Vermont the week after.

Did my long run on Monday morning, a slow (and snotty) 12.7. Legs and lungs felt fine, throat does not. I'm considering wearing garlic around my neck at the office.

This morning an easy 3 in a light rain, it was very beautiful with all of the damp surfaces reflecting the street lights.

A

Recalculating...

Slacking.

Dutchie42

Slacking.

+1

sort off.

Ayola: isn't it fun planning a trip?

Mon: approx 20 min of chest + abs

Tue: approx 18 min of triceps + abs and at 6PM a 46 min run

I'm about to head out for a 10K with Spooky. It's not only mighty dark out there, it's also cold: 6C! Shocked

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

3 mile Recovery Run tonight. Did 2 miles walk/run last night, followed by yoga/pilates/massage ball. I actually don't feel very "beat up." That's probably because I didn't run flat-out.  Had another great PT appt tonight. Maybe she's my Fairy Godmother? Seems so, even if she is waaaay younger than me.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Speaking of planning vacations: Russ (and anyone else who has run in NYC) can you offer any advice for running in New York?  We're heading up there next week and will be staying about 30 blocks south of the park.  Is running on the streets early in the morning a good idea or should I take the train up to the park?  In the park, can you suggest a route that a directionally-challenged newby could successfully navigate?

Any restaurant recommendations?  Lunch or dinner. Relatively (for New York) inexpensive, but distinctive. We've been up before so we've done some of the big sights (Empire State Building, Ellis Island, Museum of Natural History), but is there anything that you would consider a must see?

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Probably take the train or the bus, just because running through a crowd (Midtown) might be annoying. Or walk - 30 blocks = 1.5 miles. Once you get to the park the outer loop is 6 miles it's easy to find - it's a wide asphalt street inside the park. There are other paths which may be more confusing but you can't get that lost you can always see a tall building to the east or west. Foodwise: the last time I was home I went to DBGB for my fancy dinner ( you'll need a reservation about $150 per person) For my lunch Republic in Union Square kinda Asian fusion - good noodles about $10 before beer

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Central Park is my very favorite place to run. It's worth the run to get there. You have a nice, traffic-free loop, water fountains, and even food carts if you need a Gatorade or a pretzel. I love to run the bridle trails, which are shaded and nice dirt/gravel paths. You can look at my log to find maps if you want to find them.

In my experience, if you're running early in the morning the streets and sidewalks are pretty clear. I usually run up 5th Avenue, which is one-way southbound, and the far right lane (on your left if you're running toward the park) is a bus/taxi lane and is usually clear of traffic so I usually run there. You will encounter stoplights every block but just look in the right direction (most streets in Manhattan are one-way) and keep going, traffic permitting. If you get a late start and it's after about 8:00, you will have to play dodge-the-tourist on the sidewalks, and stop for the light every block. 

Then to finish the run I usually run down Madison southbound, because it's one-way northbound. 

The loop, as ayola said, is 6 miles and is very easy to find, it has some good hills at the north end. 

As far as eating goes, I usually go to Food World on 46th (or is it 47th) between Madison and 5th Avenue, they have Mongolian barbecue where you select your ingredients and they stir-fry it for you. Their hours are limited, and they are closed evenings and weekends. It's cheap, but as healthy as the ingredients you put in there.

Have fun!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm running 2 marathons 8 days apart, so I'm taking it easy this week. 3 miles on the TM Tuesday. Then yesterday I was mowing the lawn and stepped on a yellowjacket nest, they got me on the ankle and now it's swollen to the size of a grapefruit, it looks like  a severe sprain. And really, really itchy. So I didn't run today. 

For those who aren't familiar, yellowjackets are small wasps that nest in the ground and are extremely aggressive when someone gets near their nest. These yellowjackets got extremely angry when I rolled a lawnmower over their nest.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

yep - familiar with those devils - mean is what they are -

Have you tried Benadryl at bedtime to bring down the swelling and calm the itching? Ice is also a good adjunct.  Chlortrimeton is a good daytime alternative, although not as strong as Benadryl. These suggestions are from my own experience upon the advice of my local pharmacist. Hope it resolves so you can run comfortably.

Russ and Ayola: thanks for the tips.  I'll definitely get in at least one run in the park while we're there.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Struggled through a 3.8-miler today with Daisy. The left ankle is so swollen that my shoe didn't fit and the skin is all broken out. Ech, those little yellowjacket bastards are really toxic. 

Hopefully it will be OK by Sunday.

HappyFeat

Russ: Besides my earlier suggestions, you could also go to the doctor and get some cortisone shots into the area to calm it down quicker. I know someone whose forearm was attacked by yellowjackets and that's what she did.  She's a surgeon and needed that arm to work!  You need that ankle to RUN - far more importantBig grin 

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, I did the ice and Benadryl, then my massage therapist scored me with some prescription-strength cortisone cream and in the last few hours it's starting to calm down. So I think I'll be OK by Sunday. Thanks for the suggestions.

Aside: while typing this short message I was reminded just how stupid and convoluted the English language is. 

HappyFeat

AgreedJoking Glad you're getting better.

I was a slacker all week so I decided to punish myself today.  Mission accomplished!  14 miles with a 10K race in the middle.  I feel like a train just ran me over.  Think I may have overdone it a little.

Russ - Hope your day goes better tomorrow.  What's the status of the foot?