2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in:27 September - 3 October (Read 336 times)

HappyFeat

I ran 10 miles this morning with a new acquaintance. It went pretty well..she was willing to run at my slow pace and on my flat route. We chatted the whole way, getting to know each other. She's faster, fitter, and eats hills for breakfast; so if this continues, maybe I will tooJoking

Best of luck, Russ!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Perfesser: good luck  today. Hope the ankle is much better and won't bother you during the race.

HappyFeat: how nice you found a new running mate. Makes long runs go by faster, doesn't it?

Heffa: I've been slacking for 3 weeks now, and boy did I get punished for it today. 

I did 16 kilometers out on the road with Spooky. Since she hadn't been running more than 10K's lately due to my lack of motivation, I figured 16K would be enough for her today. It sure felt like it to me. The first 10 kilometers went well and felt good, but my pace dropped soon after and the last 2.5 kilometers were hard. Spooky loved it though. I didn't notice her tiring at all.

After watering and feeding Spooky, I finished my long run on the TM with an extra 4 kilometers. Felt easier on the TM and my ankle also felt much better. Is it the shoes, the TM or the sports drink?

On a bad note: my R-ankle started bothering me again while running outside. I was wearing Mizuno Inspire 6 with only 339 kilometers on them. Usually my shoes last over 500 kilometers before they start bothering me. Maybe I should go back to the running store and try the Asics 2150?

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Quick Report: Run Crazy Horse Marathon completed, 4:15:38-ish, I got 3rd in AG, the first time I've ever placed in a marathon, and got a nice handmade Native Dreamcatcher award. Even though it was a small field, I'm happy to finally get SOMETHING! I did pass a number of geezers in the last 10 miles or so that may have been in my AG, and finished just 15 seconds behind #2 in my AG, who I might have caught if I'd really wanted to. The foot was almost back to normal size this morning and held up well.

It was near perfect weather, though hot in the sun toward the end. A young woman collapsed unconscious from heat/dehydration right on the finish mat! So I had to run around her and the dozen or so people attending her, including DW (who is an RN) and some EMTs. She eventually revived and an ambulance took her away. A memorable first marathon for her!

Nice race with the Mickelson Trail and the Native American theme, the race started with traditional native drummers and finisher medals were handmade clay medallions also. 

Thanks for the luck!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Most Excellent, PerfesserR - very happy for you that your foot is better and you did so well. Sounds like it was an interesting event, with the Native American theme and location.

Congrats Russ!  Way to go.

Awesome job, Russ!  Someday, I'd like to get the backstory on the how and why of your cross-country travels. For now, I'll just wonder where in the world you'll show up next.  And good luck with your taper for Detroit.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

WTG Perfesser- I'm just about to nod off - is this race near the gigantic uncompleted Crazy Horse monument?

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

WTG Perfesser- I'm just about to nod off - is this race near the gigantic uncompleted Crazy Horse monument?

Yes, it starts at the Crazy Horse Monument and ends in Hill CIty. very nice.

Click

MTA: Risking the chance of getting scolded for posting in last weeks' thread...

The left ankle is angry. It was mostly recovered, but running that long on inflamed ankle wasn't the best idea, today (Monday) after spending all day traveling, it's all swollen again. Oh well. A few days off would be appropriate. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

If you have the freedom to do so, sitting or lying with the foot elevated above the level of your heart for a good long while (maybe while you're asleep?) will help reduce the swelling, along with ice packs.

Think about the cortisone shot idea too. Maybe your local urgent care clinic could manage that.

Imminent Catastrophe

If you have the freedom to do so, sitting or lying with the foot elevated above the level of your heart for a good long while (maybe while you're asleep?) will help reduce the swelling, along with ice packs.

Think about the cortisone shot idea too. Maybe your local urgent care clinic could manage that.

Yes, that helps. It's much better today.

BTW I love the medal for that race, handmade pottery:

HappyFeat

What a unique medal - a very special commemoration of the event. I love it too! The whole event sounds very appealing to me.