2000Km-1243 mile club

April 2014 (Read 18 times)

HappyFeat

Hi Ayola

You're right - my trail HM is tomorrow. I took today off as a vacation day and have a mile-long list of things to do. It certainly won't feel like a day off; that's for sure.

Right about now, this is how I feel:   including especially creaky and decrepit this morning. I'm going to see if a yoga session will sort things out.

My training has gone well for this race, but I violated the rule of "don't do any unusual activities the week before a goal event" and have paid the price. Two hours spent last Sunday on a log-splitting project (I was the heft-and-tote person) = two hours of deep knee bend squats with weights!!  I've recovered enough that I don't think it will affect the race tomorrow, but --- Seriously, NEVER do any unusual physical activities right before a race.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Yup, working on those outside projects uses muscles I keep forgetting about. Getting my second veggie bed set up is an extra couple of workoutS per week, almost done. Planting will be the easy part.

Have a great race, feeling wonky beforehand seems to be a good sign,

No run today, up early for a family visit, then garden stuff. Tomorrow 8 miles.

happy Saturday everybody, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Have a great race, feeling wonky beforehand seems to be a good sign,

You might be onto something, Ayola. I did have a GREAT race! The weather was Perfect and I ran as fast as I could.  Other than tired legs and a couple moments of demotivation, I didn't have any problems and I took 10 minutes (!!!) off last years time. Apparently those tempo runs are paying off. I can hardly believe it.

You certainly have a busy weekend. Enjoy your run tomorrow.

Great Run!

A

PS I'll make sure I do my tempo this week!

Recalculating...

Great run Happy.

I have the small matter of my nemesis tomorrow.  Namely the Rotorua Marathon.  Going out to enjoy myself this time.

Have a good weekend all.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Nailed it 3:56:40

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

WOW!!! That AMAZING, Puke! Congrats! Now tell us all about it.

WOW!!! That AMAZING, Puke! Congrats! Now tell us all about it.

Well, I started off slow, built up my pace to about 5:20/km and held that until about 31 km.  At that point I had to stop for a pee. Struggled to get back up to speed but concentrated on just not walking.  Mostly managed that apart from a point at about 35 km where i had reset my phone and then call the wife....I was well ahead of time so she needed to rush to the finish.  I hadn't specifically gone out to target sub-4 but I actually didn't feel too bad and knew that if I just kept going I could do it.  I started getting cramps in the quads at about 37 km but where I would normally walk, this time I just slowed my pace slightly until they disappeared.  Except for a couple of times at 41 km when it just stopped me in my tracks.  I was just ahead of the 4 hour pacer going in to the last km so knew I had it, managed to high-5 my son and grab the daughter in her buggy before sprinting through to the finish.

After I was absolutely shattered, couldn't really hold any sort of conversation with anyone.  Managed to find a bit of floor to lie down on and spent 20 or so minutes with cramps.

So, final result was an 8 minute PR for this marathon.  Afterwards I realized I had missed a marathon PR by 20 seconds.  Oh well will have to go back next year.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Eight minutes is HUGE!!! You showed great mental  toughness, Puke, and provide a great example for us of the rewards of working through the hard parts. That your whole family was there to welcome you across the finish line makes it especially memorable.  What do you think about the cramps? Simple muscle fatigue? Low hydration? Low electrolytes? Again -  Congratulations!! Very happy for you.

Great strategy and positive race attitude Pukekura! Congrats.

Recalculating...

Eight minutes is HUGE!!! You showed great mental  toughness, Puke, and provide a great example for us of the rewards of working through the hard parts. That your whole family was there to welcome you across the finish line makes it especially memorable.  What do you think about the cramps? Simple muscle fatigue? Low hydration? Low electrolytes? Again -  Congratulations!! Very happy for you.

Sorry, for late reply, on the Monday I had to spend all day flying to a conference, luckily they had a spa bath.

Cramps....just think it is from running too fast.  Was well hydrated, plenty of electrolytes etc.  Wasn't the worst i have had.

Anyway, here are some photos

This is the sign the family made for me

And this is my daughter and I about 100 m from the finish

The Finish

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Awesome poster!!! Even more awesome photo of you two. You both look like you are having a such a great time! I would never suspect you were dealing with leg cramps. Way to look strong and fool your competitors :-)

Sub 4 with a buggy is pretty amazing! Love the zombie poster...

Speaking  of zombies, I've been one for most of the week with a head cold. Made it out before rain and  Ran for a half hour this morning to try out the new shoes Mizunos (love them) and lungs (not so much love), I'll rest today - it's going to be pretty stormy anyways - no gardening - and try for 7-8 tomorrow. Dialed back my HM next weekend to 10k.

happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

I'm off to a very slow start in terms of running this weekend. I took the last two days off hoping for a dramatic improvement in an aggravated sore muscle from the trail HM a couple weeks ago. No big change from not running. If anything, I feel more stiff and sore than ever!  I've GOT to get moving! It's aggravating to lose two days running for no benefit...Grrrrr.  Thought I'd go out for about 4 miles today and see how things feel. If okay, then I plan to run 14 tomorrow.    It was supposed to be a downpour today; but it's nice and sunny, although a pretty cold wind is blowing.  It is supposed to be quite nice tomorrow, but I suspect the weather pattern has changed and it will probably chuck it down with rain right when I go running. Right?!

HappyFeat

Sub 4 with a buggy is pretty amazing!

Agreed, although it was just the last K.  Still, he looks remarkably fresh in the photo....and sub-4 IS Outstanding!!

Gives me inspiration for getting out the door today.