3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

A useful Track distances calculator (Read 49 times)

kcam

Hadn't seen this one and it does some convenient calculations for runners that do some general training on the track:

eRaceWalk/Calculators

C-R

That's a good one Ken.

If I have to run a track for simple distance, I usually do the math in my head to pass the time. Nice to have a confirming calculator now.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Walk-Jogger

That's a good calculator, Ken. I already had it buried in my running links file but had forgotten about it. Now that it's almost warm enough to run on the outside track, I'll be making use of it!  And CR, the most math I can do in my head while running laps on the track, is counting the laps. Joking

I don't know why, but in the back of my mind somewhere, there is this idea that I'm going to run a 26.2 mile time-trial on our brand new  surfaced outdoor track at some point this year. That would be 105.412 laps in lane 1 per this calculator. That sounds like a good Sunday morning workout sometime later this year when the weather is suitably warm.

Retired &  Loving It

C-R

I don't know why, but in the back of my mind somewhere, there is this idea that I'm going to run a 26.2 mile time-trial on our brand new  surfaced outdoor track at some point this year. That would be 105.412 laps in lane 1 per this calculator. That sounds like a good Sunday morning workout sometime later this year when the weather is suitably warm.

Very Hurtlockerish. The temptation to quit for about 40 laps would be epic and require some serious HTFU.

Sounds like a May challenge.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

WTF is wrong with us runners.  I'll be in India in May and if I am battling jet-lag there is a little 300 m circular track close to my Dad's home where I could run endlessly through the night. I may never run in a straight line after that.

Feeling the growl again

Very Hurtlockerish. The temptation to quit for about 40 laps would be epic and require some serious HTFU.

One word:  Spikes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

My feet hurt from reading that.

kcam

That's a good calculator, Ken. I already had it buried in my running links file but had forgotten about it. Now that it's almost warm enough to run on the outside track, I'll be making use of it!  And CR, the most math I can do in my head while running laps on the track, is counting the laps. Joking

105.412 laps is just WAY too many laps.  If you ran in lane 5 you'd only have to run 98.79 laps - totally doable and you would only have to measure the track in 100th's rather than 1000th's of a lap.

Is the issue of hundredths versus thousandths really the crazy part? Big grin

105.412 laps is just WAY too many laps.  If you ran in lane 5 you'd only have to run 98.79 laps - totally doable and you would only have to measure the track in 100th's rather than 1000th's of a lap.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Walk-Jogger

Good point. In my favor, I've already done the 105 laps workout several times this past winter on the indoor track. Sure, it' s only a 200 meter track, but it was still 105 laps I had to count, and the indoor track curves are very tight 90 degree suckers which I learned to hate. I'm thinking outdoors on the big boy track with some nice sunshine, and bring my stereo speakers and my battery powered stereo amp to rock some tunes, and a cooler with appropriate beverages and snacks, and the whole thing becomes a picnic. Now I'm looking forward to this...  

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

I don't own any spikes, and don't know enough about them to know if you are serious, or jest!

I have run a few barefoot miles on this track, enough to  know I like running barefoot on a track, and my foot turn-over rate goes way up when unladen of shoes. Doubt I could go very many miles barefoot without a lot of barefoot training first.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

I don't own any spikes, and don't know enough about them to know if you are serious, or jest!

Spikes are incredibly hard on your calves and sometimes hamstrings.  The #1 reason my attempt to qualify for the olympic trials failed was because I ran my tune-up race...a 10K a month out...in spikes.  I messed up my hamstring.  I had not worn spikes in 3 years prior to that race.

Oops.  I thought "just a 10K" would be OK.

So, running an entire marathon in spikes would be really hardcore.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Kalsarikännit

A few weeks before my December 24 hour I did a 2 mile to the track, 26 at the track, 2 mile home run. Yoderc/UnkleCranky joined me halfway thru the run. Based on that and other ten milers I have done on the track, I have to say that the long distance is much worse than it sounds. It was just mind numbing. I don't know if I could have done the whole thing alone. Thank God I had company. That changed it dramatically. On the other hand, RACING for 24 hours on a 400 meter track?  So much easier than people think it would be.

Cecil, one thing you may want to take into consideration.  You may end up wanting to change directions periodically during your run. That means some wrong way running in the far outside lanes in order to not be a jerk. That will affect your calculations.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

So, running an entire marathon in spikes would be really hardcore.

Last year Zach Bitter set the course record on trails for the Crusty 50K (first week of February in Wisconsin) wearing spikes.  Dude looked like he was just out for a jog.  His blog report said his calves were a little sore a couple days after.  My achilles hurts just thinking about it.

As to running loops (whether track or other), I think breaking it into quarters helps.  Figure out your total time or distance and then divide by 4.  Once you are past halfway you really can't stop, why waste half a race?

Feeling the growl again

Last year Zach Bitter set the course record on trails for the Crusty 50K (first week of February in Wisconsin) wearing spikes.  Dude looked like he was just out for a jog.  His blog report said his calves were a little sore a couple days after.  My achilles hurts just thinking about it.

Somehow I'm not surprised.  Shocked

I'm still waiting on someone to do it on the track though.  XC running in spikes never caused me the issues that using them on a track did.  Perhaps it's because the sink in all the way or because there is more slippage.