3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

the challenge thread (Read 506 times)

Feeling the growl again

Heh.  You should have started this 4 months ago, I'd be doing well.

Just a few days ago I would have thought this no challenge for February, but given my current injury it looks to be a good challenge.  I'll probably try to do it again in March.  But racing > stunting, so mileage will probably drop in April/May somewhat for racing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Okay, I've been noodling this idea for a while, and I'm currently in serious danger of failing it before it even starts. It'll take a very stupid 4 day running stunt for me to pull it off. So anyway, 4 days to go in February. My challenge is this... Whatever total mileage you ran in January, beat it this month. And then next month. And so on, for the whole year. I challenge the entire Hurtlocker with this one. Since I'm posting this so late in February, if it's not possible for you to beat January, start now, and carry it on for the rest of the year. Every month higher than the month before.

Can you do it?

I will take this challenge that is when I am cleared to run. Let's hope that happens March 13th!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I've lost my mojo in the past week. I'm in, until Sept. Thanks for the Challenge.

Okay, I've been noodling this idea for a while, and I'm currently in serious danger of failing it before it even starts. It'll take a very stupid 4 day running stunt for me to pull it off. So anyway, 4 days to go in February. My challenge is this... Whatever total mileage you ran in January, beat it this month. And then next month. And so on, for the whole year. I challenge the entire Hurtlocker with this one. Since I'm posting this so late in February, if it's not possible for you to beat January, start now, and carry it on for the rest of the year. Every month higher than the month before.

Can you do it?

No chance of me running 113+ miles in the next 2 days (screw you Hoppity for being crap and lazy and weak and not running when skiing or when sick and sciatca-d up). Might take it up as a post-Feb challenge.  I'll "noodle" on it.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

I'll accept the challenge - atleast until October, then if I run a stupid marathon in November, I'll hang up my shoes for a while.

BTW Feb is in the bag, need 5 more miles, should get it this evening.

It's gonna take 48 miles to get me out of the corner I've painted myself into here. Good lord, I'm a dumbass. Ah well, I'll see what sort of # I can put up later today and go from there.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

Looks like I only need 27 miles in the next 2.5 days to get above last month (at 309, need 336).  However I set my goal for the month at 350...which was going just fine before the injury...and that is going to be rough.  I managed to extend my lunch run to 7 and I can work through the cycles of pain/tightness while running but once I finish I am in a good deal of pain for a couple hours and not walking well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Can you do it?

I'll give it a shot.   It's not possible for me to beat January so I'll have to start with February and

I almost feel bad about that!

steph  

Heh.  You should have started this 4 months ago, I'd be doing well.

Just a few days ago I would have thought this no challenge for February, but given my current injury it looks to be a good challenge.  I'll probably try to do it again in March.  But racing > stunting, so mileage will probably drop in April/May somewhat for racing.

In the same boat as Spaniel.  Other than January, I would be on this progression since August.  Had I not thrown in the Miami trip, January would have easily been bigger than December.  And February, I'll be over 350.  I'll be shooting for that in March but after the planned small-town April race, I'll be dropping the mileage and focusing on racing shorter distances.  Besides, the DW is doing a half IM in June so she gets the training priority from the 2nd half of April through June.

Feeling the growl again

And February, I'll be over 350.

It appears I SHOULD top January, but while topping 350 looked easy 10 days ago it's really going to be a stretch now.  My lunch run was cut in half because I was concerned that if I got 4 miles out I might not make it back.  Trying to run without the pre-run beer apparently doesn't work well.

I don't know what to target for March at this point.  Depends if I get this cleared up.  I might have to try cutting the volume and upping the intensity for awhile, as it seems to hurt less when running fast.

It appears I SHOULD top January, but while topping 350 looked easy 10 days ago it's really going to be a stretch now.  My lunch run was cut in half because I was concerned that if I got 4 miles out I might not make it back.  Trying to run without the pre-run beer apparently doesn't work well.

You had a good Monday and Tuesday.  I was hoping you would have turned the corner on the hip issue but I see that it was screaming back at you on the 4 this morning.  Not good.

C-R

Aw shit. Just came back in here and saw this. Too much work for me to beat Jan but I will take on the rest of the year. And there will be no sandbagging either.

I'm still pissed about that 1:38 and I need some extra long-term motivation.

Good idea. No strike that. Great idea.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

You had a good Monday and Tuesday.  I was hoping you would have turned the corner on the hip issue but I see that it was screaming back at you on the 4 this morning.  Not good.

It likes screwing with me.  I felt great last night, but it hurt almost as bad at lunch yesterday as today.  I dunno....

It's gonna take 48 miles to get me out of the corner I've painted myself into here. Good lord, I'm a dumbass. Ah well, I'll see what sort of # I can put up later today and go from there.

I'm out. Would need to run a marathon tomorrow. And even if I pick it up from Feb, last 2 months have been my 3rd and 4th biggest months ever. With a race (maybe two in April) plus a week at Disney in April, no way I'm going to be able to cut it.

Good luck Ultra man, I'll hopefully see you on the other side at Boston '14...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Just got home from work, rain all day turned to snow a couple hours ago, had to shovel my way IN to my place. Now heading to the Y. 30ish to go, and I'd better take a bigass chunk out of it tonight if I'm gonna have any chance at all to finish it off tomorrow. Boo hoo poor me, but I brought it on myself. Here goes...

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.