3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

December Racing Thread (Read 780 times)

an amazing likeness

I'll throw this one into the mix for December...

NAME DATE DISTANCE RACE LOCATION GOAL RESULT
    MilkTruck 12/1 13.1 TCS Annapolis Half Annapolis, MD 1:40:30  

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kcam

I'm starting to dwell on the weather thing more and more.  Here's the forecast for Folsom (where CIM starts) for Sat & Sun.  It's still early but .... never ran a marathon in the rain.  Since it's warm I'm still going with shorts/singlet, no gloves, maybe a hat maybe not.  The wind is probably worse than the rain.  If it holds SE it would be a crosswind with a tail component for 90% of the race.  For Sunday, SSW would be mostly cross but with a headwind component. 

Saturday Night

nt_rain Overcast with rain. Low of 55F. Breezy. Winds from the SE at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 3.5 in. possible.

Sunday

rain Overcast with rain in the morning, then partly cloudy with a chance of rain. Fog early. High of 59F. Breezy. Winds from the SSW at 10 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.7 in. possible.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

mgerwn 12/9 5k Christopher Martin's Christmas Run For Children New Haven, CT <29:00  

I'll be happy to break 29 minutes for this.  Goal B is to not get so shit-faced after the race on the free beer the sponsors provide that I can't remember where I parked the car. 

rgilbert 12/1 10-11 ish ORRRC John Bryan "10 Mile" Trail Race Yellow Springs, OH

Main: Beat last year's pace by at least 1 minute/mile

Reach: Top 10 OA

I have the distance listed funny because, well, the RDs are jerks in the good way.  I'm friends with one of them.  She almost put ten miler in quotes on the awards.  Last year, the official distance was 11.1 miles, but they're not changing the name. This year I'm not sure--they sometimes re-route if needed. 

Either way, I hit it at 8:43/mile last year.  Shooting for 7:43/mile or better this year, with a stretch goal of top ten OA.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

C-R

C-R - Tecumseh Trail Marathon 12/1 anything under 5 will do on this course.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

C-R - Tecumseh Trail Marathon 12/1 anything under 5 will do on this course.

You're still supposed to beat me by 15 minutes. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

You're still supposed to beat me by 15 minutes. 

Ten seconds will do also.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

OK, here's my (maybe) last race of the year. 

I'm running this 3.5 mile cross country race on our town's golf course in December. I know the terrain very well and have been wanting to do it for a few years. It's up and down then up and down then up and down. There are some steep pitches and very little flat.

I've got no idea what sort of practical goal to set so I guess I'll just have to race it. Not pacing myself through but working with and against others should be interesting.

If I had to pick a time it would be under 24. I'd also like to be the fastest guy from my town.

I'm nervously looking forward to it.

kcam

The hurtlocker steppin up and living up to it's name.  LIKED!

CliveF 12/22 5k Christmas Elf Run Mt. Mourne NC sub-19:28 (i.e., PR)*  

(*) -- assuming the course is the right length this year.

I haven't done any speedwork since October, but I wanna run fast anyway.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I'm starting to dwell on the weather thing more and more.  Here's the forecast for Folsom (where CIM starts) for Sat & Sun.  It's still early but .... never ran a marathon in the rain.  Since it's warm I'm still going with shorts/singlet, no gloves, maybe a hat maybe not.  The wind is probably worse than the rain.  If it holds SE it would be a crosswind with a tail component for 90% of the race.  For Sunday, SSW would be mostly cross but with a headwind component. 

Saturday Night

nt_rain Overcast with rain. Low of 55F. Breezy. Winds from the SE at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 3.5 in. possible.

Sunday

rain Overcast with rain in the morning, then partly cloudy with a chance of rain. Fog early. High of 59F. Breezy. Winds from the SSW at 10 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.7 in. possible.

Good luck this weekend!  Haven't looked at the weather for you personally but I hope things have changed from a few days ago and will be OK for race day.

kcam

Thanks Mike but it ain't looking so good.  At this point, I'm dialing back to doing the race as some kind of long HTFU training run (maybe a 20mile warmup and then a tempo 10K) and will target another race soon.  Which pisses me off cuz I don't like running marathons but I've built to a nice fitness peak and I gotta get something out of this cycle.  

I'm in San Jose about 70 miles or so from Sacramento and this morning it is raining and blowing like a mofo.  Flood advisories etc.  Sunday's forecast:

Sunday

rain Overcast with rain, then rain showers in the afternoon. High of 59F. Windy. Winds from the South at 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain 100% with rainfall amounts near 0.8 in. possible.

I feel like a puss compared to the 12/1 guys who are running trail races ... this is situation normal all fucked up for trail races.

12/1 racers - go get em.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Mike but it ain't looking so good.  At this point, I'm dialing back to doing the race as some kind of long HTFU training run (maybe a 20mile warmup and then a tempo 10K) and will target another race soon.  Which pisses me off cuz I don't like running marathons but I've built to a nice fitness peak and I gotta get something out of this cycle.  

I'm in San Jose about 70 miles or so from Sacramento and this morning it is raining and blowing like a mofo.  Flood advisories etc.  Sunday's forecast:

Sunday

rain Overcast with rain, then rain showers in the afternoon. High of 59F. Windy. Winds from the South at 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain 100% with rainfall amounts near 0.8 in. possible.

I feel like a puss compared to the 12/1 guys who are running trail races ... this is situation normal all fucked up for trail races.

12/1 racers - go get em.

With that wind it will just be absurd.  Good luck.

Good luck to everyone else racing this weekend.  I'm looking forward to the beer/C-R duel.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

I'll throw this one into the mix for December...

MilkTruck 12/1 13.1 TCS Annapolis Half Annapolis, MD 1:40:30  

1:39:16

But, I think course was short...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

rgilbert 12/1 10-11 ish ORRRC John Bryan "10 Mile" Trail Race Yellow Springs, OH

Main: Beat last year's pace by at least 1 minute/mile

Reach: Top 10 OA

I have the distance listed funny because, well, the RDs are jerks in the good way.  I'm friends with one of them.  She almost put ten miler in quotes on the awards.  Last year, the official distance was 11.1 miles, but they're not changing the name. This year I'm not sure--they sometimes re-route if needed. 

Either way, I hit it at 8:43/mile last year.  Shooting for 7:43/mile or better this year, with a stretch goal of top ten OA.  

Beat the main goal.  The course was actually ten miles this year.  Finished in 1:13:08.  7:19 a mile, 24 seconds a mile faster than goal pace, 1:24 a mile faster than last year.  Not too shabby for switchback-laden single track. 

Missed the reach goal by, I think, one damned place.  Official results not posted yet.  Did get 3rd in AG, though.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek