3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

December Racing Thread (Read 780 times)

Ken, awesome race, sounds like you executed it perfectly with hand you were dealt.  Way to drop the hammer!

Unless they just changed it, HUFF is only a 50k. I'm not sure if the new course is actually 50k either...the old course was 33 miles.

Ha, that's what I get by going on what I thought I read vs actually checking.  That is probably for the best anyway- running 50 miles on my current training is not a great idea.

Slo

Fulton Christmas walk 2 mile.

Goal 13:30  Actual 13:35

10th OA, 2nd 40 - 49 AG. 

xhristopher

Racing people is fun. It was liberating not to worry about time and just work the course and race people. They say it's supposed to be a really tough course and I agree but still found racing on it a lot of fun.

16th out of almost 400. Better than I expected so I'm happy.

MTA: Was not the fastest guy from my town. Some 17 year old showed up, finished 3rd, and took that honor.

Don't know if this counts, but:

NAME DATE DISTANCE RACE LOCATION GOAL RESULT
            CliveF 12/8 13.1 Huntersville Holiday Half Huntersville NC Pacer -- hit 1:45 on the nose  

It's my first time being a pacer.  A little nervous, especially as the course is quite rolling and lots of folks will have Garmins telling them I'm going pacing them fast/slow/unevenly.  I may not react well ...

1:44:20. Most people did indeed follow their Garmins and stuck to 8:01 Garmin-pace. A couple guys felt good and went for it after 10mi. And I convinced the remaining trio to make a race of it, so we pushed it slightly over the last mile-plus. Hard to keep my head out of "race mode", but really satisfying to bring people in to PRs and help them learn how much more they're capable of.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

mgerwn 12/9 5k Christopher Martin's Christmas Run For Children New Haven, CT <29:00  

I'll be happy to break 29 minutes for this.  Goal B is to not get so shit-faced after the race on the free beer the sponsors provide that I can't remember where I parked the car. 

27:10 - apparently actually running and training gets you back in shape a lot better than I expected it to do, even when it's just a week of consistency.  And as for the second goal, I skipped the post-race party completely in favor of dinner at my parents' with my brother and sisters and our families.  So I guess that's a DNS for that part?

#artbydmcbride

Holiday half marathon  2:02:38   course was long (and hilly)  so I feel good about it.  Cool

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats to Clive on successful pace leadership, Slo_Hand on the award, Ilene for another of her zillion races, and coming close to 2 on a long hilly course, mgerwin for capping off a good race with staying out of skid row, and to x on passing a lot of people and outkicking the lead woman.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

AP 12/8 5K Jingle Bell Annapolis, MD <18:00  17:54
                    AP 12/9 15K Anniversary Run Annapolis, MD 58:30 (PR)  58:55

Oops. Didn't realize these were same weekend til now.

Beat one of the local ex-college girls, and lost to one, this weekend.

Sat 5K
                    Off to a slow start with a lot of people before me in 5K. Slowly worked my way through field, for a while neck & neck with lead girl (friend of ours). Pulled away from her in second half, and pushed hard to try to pass the remaining crowd in last mile. Caught all but one (excluding the fast guys gone in front), and got passed by a college runner in last sprint. Splits of 5:57, 5:55, 5:41 probably show poor pacing. Very surprised and happy with my time-expected to come in maybe 18:20, b/c I'd seen first two miles were slower than hoped-for.

Sun 15K
                    Pushed up to join a pack with the other three guys leading my age group, and so we had a great "old guys" pack rolling. Two pulled ahead in second half, and one fell behind, but I fell in besides a 20s kid, and we worked the second half together without talking. He pulled ahead on uphills, and I caught and passed him on downhills. Every so often I turned and yelled at the ex-college girl behind us to hurry up - it was her longest run since a marathon a month ago, and she wasn't sure how fast to go, but I believed she should roll with us. The kid kept looking worriedly back, afraid of getting chicked, I think. She finally caught us, and I went with her past the kid - but then she outkicked me at the end, darn it Smile          

Didn't make my 15K time goal (PR), but I knew it was ambitious, and I'm happy.

MTA: Dang it--I just discovered my PR is not near 58:30, but is 58:51, so I just needed to pick up a few more seconds.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congrats to Clive on successful pace leadership, Slo_Hand on the award, Ilene for another of her zillion races, and coming close to 2 on a long hilly course, mgerwin for capping off a good race with staying out of skid row, and to x on passing a lot of people and outkicking the lead woman.

Yes, What AP said.

And congrats on your 5k, AP.

steph  

C-R

Good racin and pacin people.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

Good racin and pacin people.

+1 to this.

AP - 17:54 is coincidentally my PR (run this past August) and I think your pacing was much preferable to mine.

5:57, 5:55, 5:41

5:39, 5:43, 6:01 (31)  

I'd rather be finishing strong rather than slowing like I was.

Nice race!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

kc - I do agree, it is a lot more fun to pass ppl than the reverse.Which is why running a marathon as a training run is a fun, I think.

My reading skills are weak - I stopped in the middle of your post and went back through your log to see the race entry, before coming back to see you'd reposted the splits right there in the post. Doh.

kcam

Just signed up for a 10K / 5K double run on 12/23.  I'm running this more to support the RD who is a friend of mine (you guys may know of him ... he is the founder of Runners World  in 1966 which he built into a very good mag before he sold it to Rodale - Bob Anderson).  

So this thing kicks off with a 10K at 7:45AM and then you start the 5K at 9:30AM.  Awards and finishing places are based on your combined time.  If you run the 10K in 40minutes you'll have to jog around and keep warm for about one hour which I think is way too much time.  I think ideally I would run better at the 5K if it were, say, 20 - 30 minutes after the 10K.  But I guess they have to optimize that break to allow as many people as is reasonable to compete in the event.  

Goals?  I have no idea what I'm going to do.  I'm leaning towards hammering the 10K and taking what I can get on the 5K as I'd rather have one 'good' time on either 5 or 10K rather than two mediocre times but a good overall finish place.  Both courses are USATF certified and pretty flat so they should be fast.  For now I'll say sub-60 for the two events.

#artbydmcbride

When I have run two races, that is the strategy that worked best; hammer the first one.  Smile

Runners run