3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

I didn't say it was bothering me because my feet aren't pretty. If that was the only thing making my feet ugly i'd be pretty lucky. I get blisters all the time but this one is different.

Injinis bother me because they're all cottony. Thanks though. Er wait, are the black ones made of a different material? I've never seen those.

Obviously i'm sucking it up. I just want it to heal so it'll stop bleeding and oozing everywhere. And then there's the limping and walking thing.

Oh I know you weren't complaining about pretty feet.  Guess I should have said high mileage and blisters (pretty feet meaning no blisters etc, ugly feet =blisters etc ) etc are par for the course. 

And I've NEVER seen cotton Injinji socks.

If you saw the condition of my feet you would probably consider your 1 blood blister lucky. Between the blood blister I have on the side of my foot, 2 bloodied toes/toenails and a callous that has cracked right under the ball of my foot. The crack on the ball of my foot is the worse because it's so deep in the callous. I put triple antibiotic ointment and a band aid on it each night before going to bed. Talk about painful.  I consider them a small price to pay for my high mileage and also figure I'd rather deal with that then broken bones/ hamstring issue's/ etc.

Also fwiw I suggested the Injinji because since started wearing them I no longer have to deal with blisters between the toes. I swear those are the worst

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ostrich runner

Nice.

Due to my German heritage, I will be happy to bring some limburger. Sardines are of course optional.

I always thought of Limburger as Dutch, but I've rarely used the word without "your mother" also in the sentence. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Prince of Fatness

Lunges + foam roller + Leg weights + Core work. 

+ bridges + leg curls + don't stretch them (well, if you feel that you must do dynamic stuff like leg swings).

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Vent, whine, cry, whatever you have to do to feel better.

Too late ... got that shit out of my system a few weeks ago.

Not at it at all. 

+ bridges + leg curls + don't stretch them (well, if you feel that you must do dynamic stuff like leg swings).

Been doing, well, some of that (including the ones DB mentioned).Not nearly as religiously as I should, though. Lunges kill my knees (a whole other can of worms) so they're pretty much out. The not stretching one is actually the hardest to stick to, since it usually seems to provide at least some temporary relief. I did have them back to where they were tolerating some good faster workouts, but I pushed it a bit too hard in the half I raced last month and they're kinda fucked again. It's very annoying, because otherwise things are coming along very nicely fitness-wise.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

Obviously i'm sucking it up. I just want it to heal so it'll stop bleeding and oozing everywhere. And then there's the limping and walking thing.

Worth noting that while Candice was whining about the problems the blister called her, she was nonetheless throwing down a 100+ mile week.

And it wasn't even December.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

This is a trap, right?  'Cause "this is not a 'you can do it!' group."  Ah, so what?

I'm tired of stupid shit popping up in my races.  Trying to break 20 for the 5k, Clive?  OK, you bust out 4min/km pace while I misplace this turn-around cone and make you run 5.54km.  Looking for 70min in your 10-mile race?  Here's a nice side stitch -- have fun breathing!  Oh, you're back to try that sub-20 thing again?  How 'bout some nausea, because who doesn't mind throwing up mid-race?

Yes, it was a trap.

" I'm sure someone will be along really shortly to tell you to stop being a pansy, dust off those chaps, and get back on that horse."

See, now I'm along to hand you a nice, snotty slice of stinking bishop to go with that whine and tell you to time the yacking between strides and you are GTG.  Bob didn't whine, he won the friggin' Trials.

Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Injinis bother me because they're all cottony. Thanks though. Er wait, are the black ones made of a different material? I've never seen those.

Injinji's Outdoor series is the one with the ~58% merino wool content.  In their Performance lineup (the one that gets the most play for running):

• The "Performance Original" version is 70% CoolMax / 25% Nylon / 5% Lycra.
                  • The thinner, less durable "Performance Lightweight" is 75% CoolMax / 22% Nylon / 3% Lycra.
                  • They make a thicker midweight (does it have "Performance" in its name?  You betcha!) that's 50% CoolMax / 45% Nylon / 5% Lycra.

Obviously i'm sucking it up.

QFT

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

See, now I'm along to hand you a nice, snotty slice of stinking bishop to go with that whine and tell you to time the yacking between strides and you are GTG.  Bob didn't whine, he won the friggin' Trials.

Wink

I actually had A1's Monkey finish photo in mind as I was typing. Cool  Too bad that didn't occur to me during the race -- maybe next time!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Been doing, well, some of that (including the ones DB mentioned).Not nearly as religiously as I should, though. Lunges kill my knees (a whole other can of worms) so they're pretty much out. The not stretching one is actually the hardest to stick to, since it usually seems to provide at least some temporary relief. I did have them back to where they were tolerating some good faster workouts, but I pushed it a bit too hard in the half I raced last month and they're kinda fucked again. It's very annoying, because otherwise things are coming along very nicely fitness-wise.

Greg have you tried clams, planks, those arse raise things and side planks etc?  Lunges used to kill my knees, I've found the balance stuff is helping that...and I started bringing lunges back in gradually focussing on technique rather than the number I could do...trying to stop my knee turning inwards etc and focussing on providing stability from the glutes etc.   I do think the lunges are now helping me get better, but the planks combined with stretches and spending ages on the wobbleboard (doing round the clocks, catching stuff, reading, cooking) seemed key to start with.

ss is okay over here...but I am getting a lot of red for using it.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

I need to figure this shit out.  Almost four weeks out and the leg is still f'ed up.  Started with a clicky tendon behind the knee that just got so irritated and swollen that it constantly ached.  After giving that some time to get better, I went for a run and something in my lower leg just locked up and was hurting like a SOB and now my f-in achilles is for shit again.  Spring Break starts on Friday, guess I'll just learn to be a beached whale on the Florida beaches.

Worth noting that while Candice was whining about the problems the blister called her, she was nonetheless throwing down a 100+ mile week.

And it wasn't even December.

Actually, it was only like 90 miles, unless you ran a past 7 days report or something. But I think it would still be like 90ish.

I also ran a 1:28 half on the stupid thing. Which is good for me.

But here it is. As you can see its positioning makes it tough on the bottom of my foot too. Where I bear weight. My dog is obviously very concerned as well.

Now go eat something yummy for lunch Smile

Actually, it was only like 90 miles, unless you ran a past 7 days report or something. But I think it would still be like 90ish.

I also ran a 1:28 half on the stupid thing. Which is good for me.

But here it is. As you can see its positioning makes it tough on the bottom of my foot too. Where I bear weight. My dog is obviously very concerned as well.

Now go eat something yummy for lunch Smile

THOSE kind of blisters are what drove me to try Injinji. Never regretted the switch!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TripleBock

No stretching - I guess I getter stop ~ Or ask out phsycial Therapist that stops by work 2x a week. 

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Prince of Fatness

No stretching - I guess I getter stop

Well the disclaimer there is that not stretching works for me.  Stretching the hamstrings never helped me so I stopped doing it.  I will say that it never seemed to make things worse either.  My hamstring problems virtually disappeared when I started doing strengthening exercises regularly.

Not at it at all.