3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Prince of Fatness

This time around it was pretty quick onset, and it feels like someone poking an ice pick into my ass with every stride.

What frustrates me is that I don't get this.  My ass just tightens up and my leg starts to go numb.  Pain wise I feel fine.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

What frustrates me is that I don't get this.  My ass just tightens up and my leg starts to go numb.  Pain wise I feel fine.

Yeah, the tightness is not that bad for me until it leads to the pain.  Last night after I finished it was like there was a glowing coal in there constantly burning.   I have never gotten the numbness thing while running, but used to get it off and on while not running.

10 miles in today and just a touch of it, not a major issue.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Shit.  I think I finally figured out what has been building ever since December.

Given Pam's issues I feel bad to even complain however.

Looks like I need to start to be very anal about stretching etc.  I had to skip the second run today as it was just too painful to consider attempting it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

Shit.  I think I finally figured out what has been building ever since December.

Looks like I need to start to be very anal about stretching etc.  I had to skip the second run today as it was just too painful to consider attempting it.

Damn, I didn't like the tone of that article.  There was a bit of ambiguity in how to treat runners.  Looks like you really need to keep on top of this one.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Damn, I didn't like the tone of that article.  There was a bit of ambiguity in how to treat runners.  Looks like you really need to keep on top of this one.

Pretty much.  No good advice except for a) seeing a doc is probably a waste of time, and b) other than strengthening/stretching there is not much to me done.

Of course, one could be the optimist and say that this is a good thing...hopefully I am in the driver's seat and can get it under control without medical intervention.

Getting old sucks.

C-R

Pretty much.  No good advice except for a) seeing a doc is probably a waste of time, and b) other than strengthening/stretching there is not much to me done.

Of course, one could be the optimist and say that this is a good thing...hopefully I am in the driver's seat and can get it under control without medical intervention.

Getting old sucks.

Yikes.

That was certainly not a warm fuzzy read. Hope you caught this early enough to keep away from the surgeon.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ughhhhh!  Forget my issues!  Sorry to hear you had to skip your second run Andy! Hope you are able to get it under control with no medical intervention!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yikes.

That was certainly not a warm fuzzy read. Hope you caught this early enough to keep away from the surgeon.

+1

Maybe some yoga / pilates type exercises?

steph  

Feeling the growl again

+1

Maybe some yoga / pilates type exercises?

I am thinking of starting a diligent post-run stretching routine and doing some lower ab-working strengthening exercises.  I think some variation on leg lifts will hit it, then add in some crunches/situps once it has time to go down a bit.  I think crunches are a bit aggressive for the current state of things.  I should check with my wife, she did pilates for awhile so she may know some appropriate moves.

Getting old sucks.

YES IT DOES! Though you're still a spring chicken 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

YES IT DOES! Though you're still a spring chicken 

All of you are spring chickens.

Not at it at all. 

Getting old sucks.

The osteopath called me old yesterday!

I thought I wasn't.  However I then realised that visiting an osteopath probably makes me old.

Sorry to hear your issues Spaniel and also your ones Pam.  I agree though, that article was far from positive in terms of diagnostics etc. I'd second the idea of pilates or yoga.  Pam, I hope things work out positively, damn bodies...I have faith that you will fight this out though (you have an exceptionally strong mind and I think that is a huge, huge asset).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

All of you are spring chickens.

Um, yes.

steph  

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Damn Spaniel. I hope you and Pam can get your issues cleared up soon. Getting old does suck.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.