3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

First day of PT for my peroneal tendon injury. He did lots of manipulations and then did some ultrasound treatment. It may be just my imagination, but it seems to hurt just a tad bit less. I've got some strengthening exercises to do twice a day. Hopefully this heals up quickly.

Candice, that blister is just nasty. I don't have anything to cure it, but to prevent future blisters you could try Drymax socks. I haven't had any blister problems since I started wearing them.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Please!  Moleskin is a hiker thing.  Duct tape is an ultrarunner thing.  

This is bringing back good memories of DB draining blisters on my feet.  I think they sprayed 15 feet away.

This is what moleskin looks like.  You have to cut pieces to fit.

Dr. Scholl's<sup>®</sup> Moleskin Plus Padding

So you're calling me a hiker? Wink

I guess I haven't tried to put anything on it (yet) because of its location. It seems anything I put there may just rub the edges of the toes and cause more blisters. But I don't know, i've never even heard of moleskin...so ill get some. This thing isn't going away.

I did run in those old injini socks today....after searching for an hour and finding them in the bottom of my running sock drawer. I don't know if it made a difference. I still say that particular pair is cottoney. And they're tall...I don't like tall socks. They were a gift from an ultra runner friend. So now I actually get what they're for.

Spaniel, I think you're talking about medical tape?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I like tall socks because that prevents my heel chafing and bleeding.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hawt and sexy

Tall socks leave obvious dirt marks when taken off. Well, if you run on the local coal pack anyway.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, I think you're talking about medical tape?

I can't find a pic of it online and I don't have time to take one and upload it.  It's rolled like a tape, but it's kind of a cross between tape and an ACE bandage.  It holds stuff in place really well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Is it something like KT tape?  (www.kttape.com)  My wife uses this stuff.

Feeling the growl again

Is it something like KT tape?  (www.kttape.com)  My wife uses this stuff.

Looks way too techie.  When I don't have a sleeping baby in the same room as the stuff, I will see what it is actually called.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I think spaniel's talking about the stretchy ACE bandage-looking stuff that they wrap around your arm after you give blood (or have your thawed RBCs re-injected -- whatever).  It's a somewhat plasticky ACE bandage that's self-adhering.  Like:

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Nope. Pretty sure he's talking about medical tape.

Feeling the growl again

I think spaniel's talking about the stretchy ACE bandage-looking stuff that they wrap around your arm after you give blood (or have your thawed RBCs re-injected -- whatever).  It's a somewhat plasticky ACE bandage that's self-adhering.  Like:

The bottom one looks right.  Tape is not stretch like this stuff.  Typically I use a piece of tape to hold the end down once I wrap.  If I get blisters they tend to be on the back of my heel.  I will cut a hole the size of the wound in a square of moleskin, and stick that around it.  Then I place a second skin piece on the wound and put a gauze pad over the whole thing, tape in place.  Then I wrap with the stuff above, around the ankle and under the arch a couple wraps to hold the whole thing in place.  Then tape the end down.  This has held up to anything, including a 5-day period of mountain hiking with regular sock changes pulling on it.

MTA:  Yes, exactly like the stuff they wrap the bandage in place with after drawing/giving blood, only the stuff I use for feet is wider.

I'm just about done with the whining/venting/frustration stage of my injury but I'll share... 

4+ weeks ago I had some glute tightness that lingered a couple of days and then got worse.  I added extra massage/stretching and kept stubbornly running.  After a week of fighting through my runs it was clear I was damaging my piriformis and glute medius and needed to stop.  The low-back, ITBs and hips were tender as well.

2 weeks of rest with no improvement convinced me to get a free injury screen at the nearby Physical Therapy office.  I was diagnosed with an SI Joint Upslip - which is basically where the pelvis has shifted up on one side causing a misalignment and strain of the surrounding muscles.  The likely cause was taking a jarring step off of a curb.

I've had 2 PT visits this week and the pelvic adjustments and exercises have already made a big difference.  I should be running again soon. 

The PT is also working with me on root causes and deficiency's like weak glutes and tight hip flexors.  This looks to be well worth the money (luckily I found a good PT who also runs).

Kalsarikännit

The likely cause was taking a jarring step off of a curb.

Shocked  I can never leave my house now.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

C-R

The likely cause was taking a jarring step off of a curb.

Damn. I am continually amazed at the seemingly little things that cause an injury. Especially with fit (well most of everyone else on here) people.

Glad the PT is working.

You need to be ready for the Spaniel Beer Mile

That goes for you as well WG.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

4+ weeks ago I had some glute tightness that lingered a couple of days and then got worse.  I added extra massage/stretching and kept stubbornly running.  After a week of fighting through my runs it was clear I was damaging my piriformis and glute medius and needed to stop.  The low-back, ITBs and hips were tender as well.

2 weeks of rest with no improvement convinced me to get a free injury screen at the nearby Physical Therapy office.  I was diagnosed with an SI Joint Upslip - which is basically where the pelvis has shifted up on one side causing a misalignment and strain of the surrounding muscles.  The likely cause was taking a jarring step off of a curb.

Damn this is eerily familiar.

Not at it at all. 

Damn this is eerily familiar.

To me as well.  It seems a wonky pelvis is the latest in cool.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."