3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Thanks for all the well wishes guys!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

kcam

"Heel" up everyone. I feel rather fortunate to only be suffering from PF.

Just got back from the podiatrist ... I was able to cajole her into giving me a cortisone injection into my heel.  This PF has been dogging me for quite some time.  Been doing all of the self-treatment I know of (icing/selfmassage/stretching/strengthening/wider shoes/arch supports and the dreaded 'rest') to no avail.  Hasn't gotten better, hasn't gotten worse but it's there and I need it gone.  I hope this one helps.

Followup:  My heel is completely pain-free right now.  If I feel around my heel I can still feel that swollen bursa but it is much, much smaller.  I am still doing no running until that is gone completely.

On another note I now have the flu.  I am sick as a dog.  All the classic symptoms (except nausea).  Took off work today and will be off tomorrow.  Shoulda got the flu shot (idiot).

Feeling the growl again

Followup:  My heel is completely pain-free right now.  If I feel around my heel I can still feel that swollen bursa but it is much, much smaller.  I am still doing no running until that is gone completely.

On another note I now have the flu.  I am sick as a dog.  All the classic symptoms (except nausea).  Took off work today and will be off tomorrow.  Shoulda got the flu shot (idiot).

If it makes you feel better, this year the flu vaccine was largely ineffective for many of the people getting the flu.  It's a guess every year to get the right strains included, and this year their guess was worse than most.

I guess it helps reinforce your rest of the injury though, eh?  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I'm paying for yesterday's trail race and making up for not being able to climb with the whippersnappers by chasing them down on the flats and descents.  My right ankle is hurting pretty well, hopefully just a bone bruise. But enough I took today off.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Walk-Jogger

I'm paying for yesterday's trail race and making up for not being able to climb with the whippersnappers by chasing them down on the flats and descents.  My right ankle is hurting pretty well, hopefully just a bone bruise. But enough I took today off.

Andy, how's the ankle doing?

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Andy, how's the ankle doing?

They both hurt and and off still, and I had a bit of PF flare up.  Definitely beat up a little.

"Fortunately", I've been too hammered with work to run since.  Sad

Not being able to run is driving me crazy.  Flew down to Georgia with the family for the long 4th of July weekend.  My left achilles is being a bitch ever since I abused the hell out of it trying to run in the mountains.  5 miles with ~1700 ft of climbing.  Some year I'll get through the summer months.  After this I may have to join the weight loss thread.

kcam

Must be a Hurlocker contagion or something.

I overcooked my weekend with a 5K road race (and 12 miles total) on Saturday and then a very, very hilly 11 miles in the mountains on Sunday morning.  I tried to hammer the downhills to "get my legs turning over"!  What a dummy.  My left calf has been very sore since.  Sore enough that I didn't run Monday, Tue, Wed and probably won't today.

It is better and I could most likely run today but I think I'll be conservative and let it rest another day.

I was wondering what happened mbehr.

Ken Ken Ken... 5ks are hard enough!

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

Not being able to run is driving me crazy.  Flew down to Georgia with the family for the long 4th of July weekend.  My left achilles is being a bitch ever since I abused the hell out of it trying to run in the mountains.  5 miles with ~1700 ft of climbing.  Some year I'll get through the summer months.  After this I may have to join the weight loss thread.

Dude. I remember your encouragement when I was battling AT in 2011. I hope yours gets itself sorted.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Dude. I remember your encouragement when I was battling AT in 2011. I hope yours gets itself sorted.

It's getting there and it actually seems to be more calf related.  The tendon is not sore but the soleus, however, is.  I've been massaging, stretching and working it lightly.  Just walking on it, I can tell that I should not run yet.

kcam

The soleus was what was very sore on my calf all last week.  I can say that as of today it is very close to 100%.  I didn't run Mon, Tue, Wed Thu or Friday.  Ran 4 miles on both Sat and Sunday and then 3.5 today and there is no hint of any pain left.  I think I'll try a normal training run tomorrow.  Easy but probably 8 miles.  Good luck mbehr.

Good luck mbher!!

Well had another EMG and it was abnormal. My neuro/muscular doctor did the needle part and he was very much surprised (I wasn't and I expected changes) I don't know exactly what it all entailed other than that it was abnormal (the upper has been but other than absent paraneol  F waves everything had been normal)  He has me scheduled for a muscle biopsy on the 29th and wants me to get IGG every 4 weeks.  Knowing that my EMG was abnormal I'm very impatient to find out his thoughts. On other news I got a call from my doctors that my handicap placard is ready for pick up  . Also got  a referral for hematologist/oncologist , hopefully they will figure out what's behind my anemia and yet again my ekg is showing infarction and I was supposed to get an echo on the 4th of Aug have to reschedule  it. I NOW believe I am totally hurtlocker worthy and am starting to question everyone else's lol j/k    kinda

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well had another EMG and it was abnormal. My neuro/muscular doctor did the needle part and he was very much surprised (I wasn't and I expected changes) I don't know exactly what it all entailed other than that it was abnormal (the upper has been but other than absent paraneol  F waves everything had been normal)  He has me scheduled for a muscle biopsy on the 29th and wants me to get IGG every 4 weeks.  Knowing that my EMG was abnormal I'm very impatient to find out his thoughts. On other news I got a call from my doctors that my handicap placard is ready for pick up  . Also got  a referral for hematologist/oncologist , hopefully they will figure out what's behind my anemia and yet again my ekg is showing infarction and I was supposed to get an echo on the 4th of Aug have to reschedule  it. I NOW believe I am totally hurtlocker worthy and am starting to question everyone else's lol j/k    kinda

It's been a long, rough road for you rocken.  Hope you get some answers soon and can get on track to getting this sorted out.

I tried running yesterday...my left achilles is crap.

Feeling the growl again

Good luck mbher!!

Yes, unfortunately, your worthiness is reaching epic proportions.  I continue to hope they figure this thing out for you.  Sad