3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Feeling the growl again

I brought some nasty flu variant back from Germany with me several weeks back.  Made for a wonderful vacation following that work trip.  It finished off with lots of violent coughing.

Apparently this tore something in my abdominal wall just below the diaphragm.  I can't cough or so much as blow my nose.  After a week and a half I tried to run Sunday and made it four miles, but I really paid for it Monday.  Looks like I can't do much of anything until this heals and so far zero improvement.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hey. What have I missed? I'm officially an even bigger bimbler than before but I'm enjoying the few miles I am doing. Laziness, playgrounds and other stuff have eaten my energy and runcentricness.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Hey. What have I missed? I'm officially an even bigger bimbler than before but I'm enjoying the few miles I am doing. Laziness, playgrounds and other stuff have eaten my energy and runcentricness.

I think chasing that cute little kiddo is what is sucking all your energy.  Wink

You missed me gaining 20 lbs.  So there's that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Gaining 20lb is the new cool thing to do. Are you recovered from the abdominal wall issue in your post above?

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

C-R

You missed me tearing a meniscus, having surgery and thinking 9 minute miles for 4 miles without pain is heavenly. Oh and the 20 lbs too.

I expect chasing that young man has its benefits for you and your hubby. Enjoy those years as they fly by.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Gaining 20lb is the new cool thing to do. Are you recovered from the abdominal wall issue in your post above?

Nope.  I'm "recovering" from a promotion 1.5 years ago which lead to >30% travel and very long hours, often making it next to impossible to squeeze running in and still be a half-a$! parent.  When push comes to shove, parenting wins.  Danged priorities.

I truly believe people have a fixed capacity for stressors, which come in various forms.  With everything going on, my excitement to handle training or force myself to run when it is a hard situation is just lacking.

Essentially, I am becoming an old pansy.

Sounds like you've made the right choice, Spaniel. The stressor handling is hard work and I know something that B in particular is trying to work out right now - especially as K is so fun to be with so you want to maximise that time but also want/need/get lost in what you want from work. I have just had to accept I'm a relative failure in my own job and that's pretty tough to do tbh. Running happens when it happens, and 3 times a week is better than nothing and I enjoy all those runs which is the main thing - they don't feel a chore.

C-R, sodding menisci! How are you doing now? And 4 miles at 9 minute miles is heroic after that. Darn, that's party territory I reckon.

I expect chasing that young man has its benefits for you and your hubby. Enjoy those years as they fly by.

The benefits include ridiculous levels of happiness and too much of the warm fuzzies. I'm enjoying it tonnes and am trying to push thoughts of him growing up away as I will miss these cute times. Not sure I can take another, but it's very tempting at times...and wholly offputting at others!

Feeling the growl again

The benefits include ridiculous levels of happiness and too much of the warm fuzzies. I'm enjoying it tonnes and am trying to push thoughts of him growing up away as I will miss these cute times. Not sure I can take another, but it's very tempting at times...and wholly offputting at others!

Haha, I totally get this.  I laugh a bit at your expense remembering your mood going into this particular development.  And my wife's, with our third being her only son.  I dread the day he shrugs off her affections and becomes a big boy.  That will be a tough adjustment…..

But having a fourth is right out….

Prince of Fatness

I get to see my granddaughter quite frequently and it's really something how it reminds me of my kids growing. Jeez I cannot believe that she is 3 already.

I saw your pictures over in the Swamp Hops. Nice. Glad to see that you are doing well.

Not at it at all. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Nope.  I'm "recovering" from a promotion 1.5 years ago which lead to >30% travel and very long hours, often making it next to impossible to squeeze running in and still be a half-a$! parent.  When push comes to shove, parenting wins.  Damaged priorities.

Yep.  Yep.  Yep.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I get to see my granddaughter quite frequently and it's really something how it reminds me of my kids growing. Jeez I cannot believe that she is 3 already.

I saw your pictures over in the Swamp Hops. Nice. Glad to see that you are doing well.

They grow too fast, K is 2 in 2 weeks. . It must be great to see your granddaughter changing, Finn. Does she look like your kids at that age or just act like them? Apparently K looks and acts like me, but I'm not sure if that's true and I feel bad for him if it is!

Haha, I totally get this.  I laugh a bit at your expense remembering your mood going into this particular development.  And my wife's, with our third being her only son.  I dread the day he shrugs off her affections and becomes a big boy.  That will be a tough adjustment…..

But having a fourth is right out….

Hah. Yeah. I was pretty sure this was going to be a very bad idea. Too selfish. I didn't quite realise that because it's my own kid I get so much positive stuff out of it that actually it works well if you're selfish. That still makes me nervous of him growing up but maybe by then I'll find him really irritating?

Are you definite on the fourth? If you're already knackered maybe it will only add good stuff into the mix? Balancing boring stuff like work makes me nervous of a 2nd, let alone more. However I do also think that from a family perspective it would be great to have another (says the only child who is married to another only child who currently have a very possessive only child)

Feeling the growl again

Hah. Yeah. I was pretty sure this was going to be a very bad idea. Too selfish. I didn't quite realise that because it's my own kid I get so much positive stuff out of it that actually it works well if you're selfish. That still makes me nervous of him growing up but maybe by then I'll find him really irritating?

Are you definite on the fourth? If you're already knackered maybe it will only add good stuff into the mix? Balancing boring stuff like work makes me nervous of a 2nd, let alone more. However I do also think that from a family perspective it would be great to have another (says the only child who is married to another only child who currently have a very possessive only child)

Let's just say my odds of winning the lottery are higher than of having a fourth.  Done deal on that issue.  I'm too old for more anyways.  It was such a relief when #3 got out of diapers.

Personally I'm a fan of siblings.  I think it rounds people out to not be the center of things.  YMMV.  If my middle child were an only child, it would be impossible to turn her into a productive and balanced human being.

Besides, I travel too much now to introduce more.  Family life is challenging enough with the older kids when I'm gone 30% of the time.  Three trips in the next 13 days...

Prince of Fatness

They grow too fast, K is 2 in 2 weeks. . It must be great to see your granddaughter changing, Finn. Does she look like your kids at that age or just act like them? Apparently K looks and acts like me, but I'm not sure if that's true and I feel bad for him if it is!

She reminds me a lot of my daughter at her age, especially in demeanor.  Nothing gets past her, just like my daughter was.

Not at it at all.