3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Had this yesterday.

Sam Adams calls it a Stout. BA has it listed as a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I would agree more with BA. It was an interesting beer. Very earthy and somewhat dry as if there were tannins in there. All of the flavors are kind of subtle. Some roasted malts, cocoa, coffee, dark fruits. I'm thinking it might have been better if it had a little sweetness to it, but overall I enjoyed it.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Beer related

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/02/25/senators-to-talk-sunday-liquor-store-sales/

Heh.  Yeah, that's a sore topic here in Indiana.  You can't buy beer to take home and drink in the safety of your living room, but you can go out and drink at a bar/restaurant then get in the car.  Roll eyes

I don't know about MN but in IN it is simply because the liquor store lobby somehow has the clout to kill the bill each year because they don't want to have to absorb the costs of being open on Sunday to compete with grocery stores.  Why their concerns are more important than consumers, and why it doesn't seem to be an incredible business challenge for stores in other states if their concerns are valid, I do not understand.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Grocery store or convienance stores in MN sell 3.2 beer, not strong beer (anything above the alcohol limit of 3.2%) so there really isn't any competition. They can not sell on Sundays either. You can't buy strong alcohol in a Target or Wal-Mart either in MN, I'm not even sure they can sell 3.2 beer as I've never looked for it.

I think it has more to do with religous reasons as we can not buy a car on Sundays either, its a day of rest.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Prince of Fatness

SC is like that too.  I always plan accordingly when I visit my mother who lives down there.

Back in the day I used to go on yearly golf trips to Myrtle Beach.  I learned the Sunday rule the hard way the first year I went.  Every time that I went after that the Sunday round was always scheduled in NC.

All of this was a shock to me because in NJ the laws are pretty relaxed.  You cannot buy beer or booze in the grocery store but there are package stores all over the place.  One stop shopping.  Beer, wine, and liquor.  No state liquor stores or anything like that.

Not at it at all. 

kcam

This still amazes me to see such laws still around.  I guess I've lived in California for too long to understand these relics.  You can buy any liquor at a grocery store or Target or what have you (as long as they have a liquor license) on Sunday or any day.  I remember the Sunday morning sight of the beer refrigerators chained and locked at 7-11 when I was growing up in TX.  I think they couldn't sell beer before 1PM on Sunday if I remember right.  Had to make sure all the good Baptists went to church Sunday morning rather than grabbing a 6'r and going fishing!

Looks like the Teamsters and liquor store lobbyists are the driving force behind no alcohol sales on Sundays. They both want the day off. You can drink at the bars so you'd think sports bars would also not want liquor stores open on Sundays. Right now we just need to make a mad dash to the store on Saturday night and get there before 10:00 pm if the booze stash is running low.

Heh.  Yeah, that's a sore topic here in Indiana.  You can't buy beer to take home and drink in the safety of your living room, but you can go out and drink at a bar/restaurant then get in the car.  Roll eyes

I don't know about MN but in IN it is simply because the liquor store lobby somehow has the clout to kill the bill each year because they don't want to have to absorb the costs of being open on Sunday to compete with grocery stores.  Why their concerns are more important than consumers, and why it doesn't seem to be an incredible business challenge for stores in other states if their concerns are valid, I do not understand.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

That Sam Adams looks yummy. I've not seen one in our area stores.

Had this yesterday.

Sam Adams calls it a Stout. BA has it listed as a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I would agree more with BA. It was an interesting beer. Very earthy and somewhat dry as if there were tannins in there. All of the flavors are kind of subtle. Some roasted malts, cocoa, coffee, dark fruits. I'm thinking it might have been better if it had a little sweetness to it, but overall I enjoyed it.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Kalsarikännit

I having a NOLA Hopitoulas in Mobile, AL (the brewer is a RAGBRAI teammate of mine). Upon logging it on Untappd, again I am unsure why I checked the real location, considering I was presented with the options of the local police department and a greyhound station.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

I having a NOLA Hopitoulas in Mobile, AL (the brewer is a RAGBRAI teammate of mine). Upon logging it on Untappd, again I am unsure why I checked the real location, considering I was presented with the options of the local police department and a greyhound station.

You would certainly find out who was paying attention..

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Kalsarikännit

I having

And this was just my first one. Sigh.

Prince of Fatness

Yesterday I put a couple of new homebrews in the fridge for tonight.  I have not tried them yet, so we will see.  Samples were tasty when I bottled so I am expecting goodness.

I have about 5 or 6 cases of homebrew accumulated.  Maybe I should throw a party.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Hey Hoosiers!!!

PaulyGram and I are driving to Nashville and just noticed that we are five mins from Sun King. If anyone can join, it would be great. I realize this is a bit of short notice. Big grin  I'll also take any recommendations.

Prince of Fatness

I'll also take any recommendations.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Hey Hoosiers!!!

PaulyGram and I are driving to Nashville and just noticed that we are five mins from Sun King. If anyone can join, it would be great. I realize this is a bit of short notice. Big grin  I'll also take any recommendations.

Hard to go wrong with their beer.  I like almost all of them.  They have a lot on tap that is not canned so without looking up their current selection all I can say is ro-chambeau for DD and drink away.

Virtually any other day but today I would have run down and joined you, I am 5-7min away.  But I am running an all-day meeting today.