3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'm thinking four o'clock Indy time.

Unfortunately half of the family came down with Norwalk (sp?) - type virus thingy today, including me.  The prospects of me going anywhere tomorrow are pretty close to zero.  Sad

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Two go into a box.  One to Indiana, the other to Tennessee.  The other two will age in my basement.  Oh, and there is one more that I put in the fridge for later today.

Yeah. So I have seen reviews of the stuff.

Maybe 2 should go to TN...one for now, one for later.

Prince of Fatness

Unfortunately half of the family came down with Norwalk (sp?) - type virus thingy today, including me.  The prospects of me going anywhere tomorrow are pretty close to zero.  Sad

Make sure that my beer is disinfected before shipping please.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Yeah. So I have seen reviews of the stuff.

Maybe 2 should go to TN...one for now, one for later.

I had a 4 - 5 ounce pour yesterday and enjoyed it.  I think that the wine barrels definitely had a mellowing effect on the beer.  Several others had some and they enjoyed it as well.  I do want to see what aging will do.  It will be months before I open another bottle.

If I have any gripe it is with the base beer.  I do not like spices in my Tripels and they add coriander to Golden Monkey.  That's just a personal preference, tho.

MTA: BTW I found these at Wegman's.  I love that store and am surprised at what craft beer I can find in there.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

One last call for help...I really want to try some of the Flat 12 beers. We also need food and it looks like they just have a tasting room. Is there somewhere close to 65 that you guys would recommend that would carry their beer and has good brew pub type food?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

One last call for help...I really want to try some of the Flat 12 beers. We also need food and it looks like they just have a tasting room. Is there somewhere close to 65 that you guys would recommend that would carry their beer and has good brew pub type food?

There is a food place across the street from them (if open) but it's meat-focused so I don't know if they have anything you would want.

Rock Bottom downtown would probably be your best bet; finding Flat 12 on tap at other places is hit-or-miss, and it would typically only be their standard fare.  The Ram is only a couple blocks from that (on Illinois, IIRC) and is another decent option.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Just saw this. Matt the Millers in Carmel a few minutes from 65 has good pub grub and Flat 12. If you don't get to go I can bring a growler when I get to Chicago. LMK.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Kalsarikännit

There is a food place across the street from them (if open) but it's meat-focused

Only slightly. Their name is the Meat Locker and their phone number is 638-MEAT.  I have nightmares about places like that and wake up in a cold sweat, weeping. Wink

We just went to the brewery. Who needs food?  Beer is liquid bread. So far, so good.

Feeling the growl again

Only slightly. Their name is the Meat Locker and their phone number is 638-MEAT.  I have nightmares about places like that and wake up in a cold sweat, weeping. Wink

We just went to the brewery. Who needs food?  Beer is liquid bread. So far, so good.

Never been but not surprised.  That's why I warned you.  Smile

Kalsarikännit

I'm in love.

Great beer. The Nitro Lacto-Matic Milk Stout and Walkabout Pale are exceptional

I snapped up what appeared to be the last three bombers of Stone Enjoy By IPA at my beer store yesterday.  Two of them are meant for others here, but since this stuff is meant to be consumed immediately (it just shipped and expires on 4/1/13) I opened one.

Damn.  You all know I am not an IPA fan but this makes the top 5 IPAs I have ever had.  Very balanced and while it has the signature IPA profile the bouquet is distinctly floral and the flavors meld to near-sweetness.  I'm not left with the overly bitter aftertaste I get from unbalanced or overly-hopped IPAs.

You guys on the receiving end will enjoy this one.

Yes...our local beer spot has this on tap right now, and it's fantastic. I've been on a long Geuze/Flanders Red kick, but this and the Lagunitas WTF are putting me back onto hoppier beer.

Feeling the growl again

I'm in love.

Great beer. The Nitro Lacto-Matic Milk Stout and Walkabout Pale are exceptional

Agreed.  Which is why Walkabout was in the kegerator for beer mile last year.

Kalsarikännit

Agreed.  Which is why Walkabout was in the kegerator for beer mile last year.

Ha. I didn't realize I had it before. Or did I?  After those first four in nine an a half minutes it is all a blur...

Kalsarikännit

Beer advocate has a good thread on black and tan-like combos. I'm sure you wouldn't get seperation on almost all of these, but it is interesting to think of some good mixtures. (I'm sure it would be really hard to experiment with great beers, though!). One that was mentioned and everyone swooned over was the Heaven and Hell. DFH World Wide Stout and 120 Minute.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/black-tan-favorite-combinations.56008/  (Yeah, I still can't post links from my iPhone.)

Prince of Fatness

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/black-tan-favorite-combinations.56008/  (Yeah, I still can't post links from my iPhone.)

I am here to help.

Not sure how keen I am on the black and tan idea.  Also not sure whether I would want to try to layer the beers or blend them.  I think that I would prefer blending, since when I am drinking a dark beer I am usually not interested in a lighter one.

One of my fav DFH beers is a blended one, Burton Baton.  That is 90 Minute IPA blended with an old ale.  I have been thinking of brewing up two stovetop batches of beer and blending them together at bottling time.  Hmm.

Not at it at all.