3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Feeling the growl again

Thank God. He was scary. Does elk taste like deer?

It depends on where the deer is from.  Deer that live in the mountains with the elk taste very different from Indiana deer that eat soybeans and corn most of the year, just like the cattle.  Elk has a little gamier taste, though not in an unpleasant way.  Elk reek, however; you can tell if you are close to them in the woods because you can smell them over a hundred yards off.  We saw a herd in a spot in the morning, and when we walked back through there in the afternoon you could still smell them (from the pee probably.  I actually had another hunter show up while cleaning Megatron and offer to lend us his saw to take the antlers off if he could have the bladder to get the pee).

Of course, my realization this year was that that "grass-fed Montana beef" they charge you for at high-priced steakhouses is a complete farse.  Cattle in Montana don't eat grass, except maybe in the winter when they are penned up on the ranch.  Most of the year they are free-ranged on federal BLM, state, and even "Federal Wildlife Refuge" land (WTF is that allowing cattle on a wildlife refuge?).  They eat sage brush, just like the elk and mule deer.

To quote a local from the trip:  "Grass-fed Montana beef?  Hell, give me the feedlot steer over the range steer any day."

Just once I would like to hunt elk where I'm not stepping in cow pies.  Did you know cattle climb higher up the mountains than the elk?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've had deer but only in Tennessee. Apparently you're not supposed to eat it around here right now.

Prince of Fatness

Had a couple home brews and now it's time to go to play poker.  And drink more beer.  Tomorrow's LR should be interesting.

One of the beers that I had was a Cream of Potato Ale.  I am almost out of those.  I went to a couple of picnics and took some with me.  I guess the biggest compliment that I got was from a guy that that drinks mostly mass produced domestic stuff.  He said, "Tastes like a beer.  Pretty good.".  I'll take it.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

against the fucking law

this shit should be illegal

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Prince of Fatness

I just started mashing a mini batch of beer.  This will be an English Pale Ale (bitter).  Yummy.  Having a home brew right now.

MTA: Chilling now.  The whole house smells like a brewery.  Nice!

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Had a Moose Drool tonight.  Ah, I love that stuff....would have tasted better if I hadn't polluted myself with a leftover Coors Light first though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

New Belgium Abbey Belgian-Style Ale last night.  Very good stuff.

C-R

The new beer making gear is in the garage and this weekend will be the first brew of IPA. Thank goodness I still have a package store close 'cause it won't be ready for  some time. Assuming I brew it properly. So this is an anticipated vs. actually consumed beer post.

In the mean time, I enjoyed one of the new Guiness Black Lager - it's ok.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

The new beer making gear is in the garage and this weekend will be the first brew of IPA.

First time you have brewed?  Pictures please.

Spaniel, that NB Abbey is delicious.  I have a six pack of that stashed in my basement.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

First time you have brewed?  Pictures please.

Yup and I can add some pics after the debacle.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, that NB Abbey is delicious.  I have a six pack of that stashed in my basement.

Indeed.  It was the only non-Fat Tire NB beer I could find here in the sticks.

Prince of Fatness

Yup and I can add some pics after the debacle.

You may want to check out this thread in the drinker's group.  Folks in there helped me when I got started.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

You may want to check out this thread in the drinker's group.  Folks in there helped me when I got started.

Thanks. I subscribe but haven't read yet. Next couple of days though.

Prince of Fatness

This is waiting for me at home.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The wife bought three boxes of wine, so I've been drinking that lately. We need to get together for some beer. Maybe go to the Ram. I haven't actually been there, but I've heard it's pretty good.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.